News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Grado Cans

Started by aphineday, September 21, 2011, 10:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphineday

So let's say I was thinking of buying a set. What is a good place to start? Will I need a headphone amp with these?
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

DoW

I have a pair of RS1s and love them.  I bought mine used from Jason.  He took really good care of them and they sound great.
I wouldn't start off with an amp.  You can always add that later.

I'm not knowledgable on the headphone amrket but you probably want to buy something that would hold its value somewhat on the resale market in case you want to upgrade at a later time.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Caravan2001

I have a pair of RS2i's.....I really, really, LOVE them.  It's a lot to spend on cans, but worth it.....I went to a headphones store here in Portland, they sell everything so I got to A/B a ton of different ones...Some, like the Sennheisers, really needed an amp, especially if you plan on using them with an ipod.  The Grados you don't (even though you could, with great results.)  Only problem with the Grados is that they are open ear so they are very loud to people around you.  When I went to the Denver shows, the kid behind me on the plane was wearing them and blasting out all the other passengers....what a tool...

rowjimmy

Love my Grados but they stay at home.

aphineday

Thanks for all the help here guys, really. Good info.

On RJ's note, these will definitely not be traveling. Planning on creating a listening station.

tet

if you got the cash, go for a nice pair like the RS-1 or PS1000.  otherwise, you might just enjoy something like the SR-125/225/325 line, which in my opinion are fantastic value (I have the SR-125s and just love them).  whatever you decide, you can't go wrong with Grados - they are truly excellent, and crafted with care right in NYC
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

postjack

I'm a bit of a Gradohead. I've owned, at various points, the SR60, SR225, SR325i, HF-1, HF-2, three different pairs of RS-1 (original "buttoned" cups, buttonless cups, and recabled/balanced original "buttoned" cups) two different pairs of GS1000 (one recabled, one stock), HP-2, and currently the PS1000, the only can I currently own. Grado's do benefit from a better headphone amp but since they are low impedance they don't REQUIRE a headphone amp to sound good, like some other cans (the sennheiser HD650 for example really needs a quality headphone amp to sound acceptable). Having said that they do sound better with better amplification, but you don't have to worry about that right away. I always recommend the same Grados at various price points.

SR60 for the budget can, the so-called gateway Grado
SR225 is the next step up, and probably the best over all Grado value
then I skip straight to the RS-1. its a true classic and the most iconic on the current production Grados

The best Grado ever made is the Joseph Grado HP-2/HP-1000/HP-1. Hell it might be the best dynamic can ever made. It has gotten me closer to music then almost any other can. However they are expensive, out of production, and the only person on the planet who can repair them is Joseph Grado himself, and he is getting up there age-wise. I sold them because owning expensive cans (think $1300-1800) that are out of production and not easily repairable made me nervous.

I can't recommend the GS1000. It is an interesting can and very comfortable but it is devoid of any meaningful midrange, and when it comes to Grado if you don't have the magic Grado midrange for that absolutely perfect crunchy electric guitar whats the point. The PS1000 brought the midrange back into the GS1000 type design and I love it, but it is a terrible value. I got mine for waaaay less then MSRP used and am therefore very happy with them.

Whats your budget? if you can swing it snag the RS-1.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

aphineday

Thanks to Tet and Postjack as well. Certainly a lot of great info and suggestions to chew over in here. After just taking a look price-wise, the RS-1s are a little out of my price range currently. I'm thinking along the lines of trying the SR225 or SR325. Between the two, you guys say the 225? It's even a stretch on a broke pilot's budget, but damn it's enticing me...

rowjimmy

Quote from: postjack on September 22, 2011, 11:18:28 PM

The best Grado ever made is the Joseph Grado HP-2/HP-1000/HP-1. Hell it might be the best dynamic can ever made. It has gotten me closer to music then almost any other can. However they are expensive, out of production, and the only person on the planet who can repair them is Joseph Grado himself, and he is getting up there age-wise. I sold them because owning expensive cans (think $1300-1800) that are out of production and not easily repairable made me nervous.

Nervous? Afraid you were gonna sit on them?

I love mine and miss them when I'm listening to lesser headphones on the train.

nab

I've had a pair of 225's for a while now and I absolutely love them.  Like RJ, my Grados stay at home and I do miss them at the office when I'm in doing paperwork.

If you are thinking about buying in the SR-125/225/325 line, I started this thread when I was debating which model to buy:

http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=17531.0

Some good Grado advice there as well

aphineday

Quote from: nab on September 23, 2011, 09:17:11 AM
I've had a pair of 225's for a while now and I absolutely love them.  Like RJ, my Grados stay at home and I do miss them at the office when I'm in doing paperwork.

If you are thinking about buying in the SR-125/225/325 line, I started this thread when I was debating which model to buy:

http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=17531.0

Some good Grado advice there as well
Nice, yeah I read that thread as well, ton of good stuff in there. Basically just checking it out to see if anyone's opinion had changed in the last few months ;). Also good to hear how much you enjoy yours, as that's where I'm leaning right now.

Thanks again to all for the adivce! +k!

ph92

I would also look into these.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones

They are modified Grado Casing with Alessandro drivers. Apparently each one is a step up when compared to the original. Though I never have heard them, I have heard great reviews on sites such as head-fi and other headphone based communities. But there are 3 different models to choose from.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

postjack

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 23, 2011, 06:56:34 AM
Quote from: postjack on September 22, 2011, 11:18:28 PM

Nervous? Afraid you were gonna sit on them?

I love mine and miss them when I'm listening to lesser headphones on the train.

I'm a nervous person. I admit the chances of those phones breaking are slim.

but things happen.  I was running a tube headphone amp at the time and had the experience of an arcing tube exploding a driver in my RS-1. easy enough to fix that, just ship it to Brooklyn. but if the HP1000 were to blow, I have to rely on a 92 year old Joseph Grado to fix it. I hear he's still sharp as a tack but still, he's all you got.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

postjack

Quote from: aphineday on September 23, 2011, 01:24:09 AM
Thanks to Tet and Postjack as well. Certainly a lot of great info and suggestions to chew over in here. After just taking a look price-wise, the RS-1s are a little out of my price range currently. I'm thinking along the lines of trying the SR225 or SR325. Between the two, you guys say the 225? It's even a stretch on a broke pilot's budget, but damn it's enticing me...

I'd take the 225 over the 325. save the hundred dollars. the 325 is good but not a huge step up over the 225 and many find it to bright. the 225 gives you great resolution in the price range and let's you know what the Grado midrange magic and midbass punch are all about. GREAT rock phones.