News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Colts Release Peyton Manning

Started by Undermind, March 06, 2012, 06:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: phil on March 08, 2012, 10:21:16 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 08, 2012, 09:55:48 AM
Quote from: phil on March 08, 2012, 09:47:19 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 08, 2012, 09:44:08 AM
Quote from: phil on March 08, 2012, 09:37:58 AM
Quote from: Igbo on March 07, 2012, 11:59:36 AM
Quote from: antelope19 on March 07, 2012, 11:58:45 AM
Colts presser is in a few minutes.

Manning will be a Redskin in 2012. Mark it.

I actually like this option better than moving up for RGIII

Agreed. Moving up for RGIII would be disastrous. This franchise will end up in a tailspin if we do that, mark it.

Umm...
Hate to break it to you, son. The Redskins are beyond tailspin.

I'm talking a move-the-franchise-to-london tailspin. We'd have to give up so much to get him that literally his only targets would be santana moss and jabar gaffney (who are a combined 300 years old between the two of them)

And without him we have what?

Exactly.

Seeing as how we've yet to be disappointed by this year's draft class, I'd say this year's draft class.

That makes sense given that we've never had a disappointing draft...

phil

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 08, 2012, 10:33:34 AM
Quote from: phil on March 08, 2012, 10:21:16 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 08, 2012, 09:55:48 AM
Quote from: phil on March 08, 2012, 09:47:19 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 08, 2012, 09:44:08 AM
Quote from: phil on March 08, 2012, 09:37:58 AM
Quote from: Igbo on March 07, 2012, 11:59:36 AM
Quote from: antelope19 on March 07, 2012, 11:58:45 AM
Colts presser is in a few minutes.

Manning will be a Redskin in 2012. Mark it.

I actually like this option better than moving up for RGIII

Agreed. Moving up for RGIII would be disastrous. This franchise will end up in a tailspin if we do that, mark it.

Umm...
Hate to break it to you, son. The Redskins are beyond tailspin.

I'm talking a move-the-franchise-to-london tailspin. We'd have to give up so much to get him that literally his only targets would be santana moss and jabar gaffney (who are a combined 300 years old between the two of them)

And without him we have what?

Exactly.

Seeing as how we've yet to be disappointed by this year's draft class, I'd say this year's draft class.

That makes sense given that we've never had a disappointing draft...

That's why I said yet. I'm sure Morris Claiborne will turn out like LaRon Landry if we draft him, and I'm sure Justin Blackmon will turn out like Michael Westbrook if we draft him. They'll be fun to talk about before the season starts and they start failing, though.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

zimbra

Quote from: JPhishman on March 07, 2012, 12:10:43 PM

If Jerry Jones were smart he'd send Romo on the first train out of town and do whatever it took to pick Peyton up. Assuming they could protect him, that team would be deadly.

Vikes would be sweet though. For gods sake stop wasting the best athlete in football and get AP some help up there!

I disagree with your Cowboys statement but agree with the Vikings one.  Jerry Jones needs to keep Romo plus with our offensive line the way it is now we couldn't take the gamble with Manning.  The Cowboy's offensive line needs work but our defense is in worse shape so it will get a majority of the money this off season.  Adrian needs a QB, I'd like him to go there.   
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

runawayjimbo

Chris Mortensen is reporting on Twitter that Manning has signed with the Broncos. Details to follow.

ETA:  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7709195/barring-snag-peyton-manning-picks-denver-broncos-sources-say

Peyton Manning picks Broncos

Peyton Manning will become the next quarterback of the Denver Broncos, barring a snag during intensified contract negotiations that have commenced under the instruction of the four-time MVP to his agent Tom Condon, according to multiple sources.

Once the Manning deal becomes official, Denver will try to trade Tim Tebow, according to sources.

Manning instructed Condon to negotiate the finite details of a contract that would conclude with him joining the Broncos after a frenzied but focused process that began when the Indianapolis Colts released him March 7.

A contract between the two sides is expected to be a formality. Broncos vice president of football operations John Elway and Manning first discussed the parameters of a five-year, $95 million contract during their March 9 meeting in Denver, the first time the former Indianapolis Colts quarterback visited a team during his free agency.

Elway then told Manning during the Friday, March 16 trip to Durham, N.C. -- where the quarterback has done the majority of his training -- that he wanted to finalize a contract "fair to both sides." Neither side expects any hangups.

However, details such as guaranteed money, structure of the deal and contract language designed to protect the Broncos in the event of Manning's inability to perform due to his prior neck surgeries all will be addressed in the contract, sources said.

Yet the Broncos have few concerns with Manning's medical condition. He already passed the physical exam that a team of Broncos doctors administered during the visit to Durham, a development that Elway informed Manning of when he returned home to Denver that night.

Manning also passed physical exams by the San Francisco 49ers and Tennessee Titans but he has told all teams that he still has gains to achieve in terms of arm strength and endurance that are related to nerve regeneration due to his neck injury. Nevertheless, his throwing sessions observed by all three teams -- combined with extensive video of previous workouts -- was satisfactory enough for those teams to pursue the most celebrated available player since the NFL's free agency era began in 1993.

But Elway now has helped produce Denver's biggest win since he led the Broncos to their last Super Bowl win in January 1999. Elway and Manning have stayed in close contract throughout this process, strengthening a relationship that grew well beyond the golf the two had played together in the past.

Manning is comfortable enough with Denver that he has directed Condon not to negotiate with the other two finalists, the San Francisco 49ers and the Tennessee Titans, to avoid any perception that he was seeking financial leverage, sources said.

Only an unforeseen significant obstacle that would develop during the final stages of negotiations would prevent Manning from signing with the Broncos, sources said.

Once the contract is completed, Manning will travel to Denver for a press conference to formally introduce him as the team's next quarterback. Shortly thereafter, Manning will be allowed to work with the team's trainers, strength and medical staffs because of his prior neck surgery.

While Manning soon will arrive in Denver, Tebow could well depart. According to sources, Denver will try to trade Tebow -- who led the team to an 8-8 finish, an AFC West title and a first-round playoff victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Manning's arrival will set in motion a string of personnel moves for the Broncos. Denver has had a free-agent plan strictly for if the team was able to sign Manning. The two sides now will pursue other players to bolster the roster, some of whom will be familiar to Manning.

One interesting player is former Colts center Jeff Saturday, whom Manning has always endorsed as invaluable to his own performance. A source said discussions related to Saturday, who was Manning's center with the Colts for 12 years, involved evaluations by all three teams' personnel and coaching staffs on whether he would be a logical fit for the team. However, Manning did not mandate that he and Saturday would be a package deal, sources said.

Saturday was supposed to visit the Green Bay Packers and Tenneesse, but Denver will have great allure due to Manning's arrival, whenever it becomes official.

Under terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, Manning is not allowed to engage in classroom football discussions with the coaching staff until April 16.

He will not be allowed to use the team's football field under the supervision and instruction of the coaching staff until May 2. Any throwing sessions under the supervision of trainers that are considered part of his rehab may not involve current Broncos receivers until April 16. He can throw independently with Denver receivers without coaching supervision or instruction but it must be away from the facility until the allowable voluntary window opens per the CBA.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mehead

the only thing that sux about this is that we will now be subject to more Tebow bullshit once he gets traded   :frustrated:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Igbo

Quote from: mehead on March 19, 2012, 12:26:57 PM
the only thing that sux about this is that we will now be subject to more Tebow bullshit once he gets traded   :frustrated:

i'm laughing at all the people who made the Tebow jersey the #1 jersey sold last year.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Igbo on March 19, 2012, 12:43:06 PM

i'm laughing at all the people who made the Tebow jersey the #1 jersey sold last year.

Tebow is gettin tboned.

Semantic detail:
Manning hasn't signed with the Broncos... yet. He simply intends to do so.

VDB

Seconded.

I heard rumblings last week that they might want him in Jacksonville.
Is this still Wombat?

Undermind

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on March 19, 2012, 01:13:09 PM

Seconded.

I heard rumblings last week that they might want him in Jacksonville.
There are some Patriots rumors going around too because McDaniels picked him when he was the couch of the Broncos.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

DoW

this was my first thought.

I also hope he goes to the Patriots.  the Patriots can keep tryign to tweak their offense, but any dollar not spent on their defense this year is a wasted dollar imo.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Undermind

Quote from: bvaz on March 19, 2012, 01:38:24 PM

I also hope he goes to the Patriots.  the Patriots can keep tryign to tweak their offense, but any dollar not spent on their defense this year is a wasted dollar imo.
I agree.  We don't need Tebow, unless they are going to turn him into a Linebacker!
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

DoW

Quote from: Undermind on March 19, 2012, 02:02:57 PM
Quote from: bvaz on March 19, 2012, 01:38:24 PM

I agree.  We don't need Tebow, unless they are going to turn him into a Linebacker!
maybe tebow can be a tight end and gronk can play linebacker.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

phil

I love that Peyton went to the Broncos. They were always one of my favorite teams, but I refrained from rooting for them during the Tebow nonsense. Now I have a reason to care about the AFC again!
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

Undermind

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on March 20, 2012, 09:00:51 AM
This is the kind of speculation I could do without...

QuoteMost likely, Tebow winds up as a reserve in a place like New England or New Orleans

I really don't think that he will be a reserve QB if the Patriots get him.  I don't see him as being groomed to takeover at QB ever.  If the Patriots get him it will be for a role as a RB/TE type H back.