News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/27 - MPP - Columbia, MD - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Tomapella, June 27, 2010, 11:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

Quote from: danje on January 25, 2011, 04:59:04 PM
Besides the maybe the Gin, I thought the Piper was the highlight of the show. Trey was all over the place, but I respected that fact that he was going for it.

That's what I was thinking while listening to it last night.
Trey must have had some serious rock song blasting in his earpiece that he was jamming along to, 'cause he definitely wasn't listening to the other guys.

sophist

Quote from: G. Augusto on January 24, 2011, 03:38:23 PM
Quote from: sophist on January 24, 2011, 03:32:29 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on January 24, 2011, 03:28:12 PM
This is one of the best 3.0 shows?!
Holy god.
1) No

2) Peep the 18 year old n00b trying to explain Phish to us (Phish_Lifer).   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Listening to the RMSTR now and honestly, this has got to be one of the worst 3.0 shows.

I remember not listening to these two shows so that I could listen to them on our flight to Fiji, and was all "WTF?" when I heard them.
I'm still all WTF?
I think a lot of the hype with this show is just the "wow" factor of the second set, but it's a paper tiger to me.  In actuality it's sloppy as shit, and just meanders.  Oh, and the piper sucks too. 
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 25, 2011, 04:15:32 PM
For as much as people like to hate on this show (hey, to each his/her own), I don't think I've seen anyone directly try to hate on this Piper. Go on, I dare you.
just did. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

nab

Quote from: sophist on January 24, 2011, 03:32:29 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on January 24, 2011, 03:28:12 PM
This is one of the best 3.0 shows?!
Holy god.
1) No

2) Peep the 18 year old n00b trying to explain Phish to us (Phish_Lifer).   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Gotta love it when someone explains how large their music collection is by telling everyone how much of item x is in their Itunes.

Quote from: Phish_Lifer on August 09, 2010, 07:45:21 PM
Since those shows, my iTunes collection of Phish has gone from under 100 to 315, and is about to jump somewhere around 400.

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

sophist

Quote from: JustJezmund on January 26, 2011, 12:06:11 AM
people are still talking about this show? :|
I know, it's like banging Terry's mom.  It should never be mentioned, and under no circumstances should any form of a high five be involved when mentioning it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VDB

I'm not clear on what "every other 3.0 jam" sounds like, but assuming we're talking about the rather common formula of song -> rock jam -> ambient breakdown -> bouncy electronica-like sequence, then no, this Piper does not sound like that.

Sheesh, you'd think in an era constantly derided for its stagnation and lack of creative jamming, there'd be at least a little credit given when the band is trying for once to dynamically create spontaneous music (commentary on success of execution aside), but I guess not...
Is this still Wombat?

fauxpaxfauxreal

voodoobr3w-Your first mistake was using logic.  This is obviously something that mpp2 haters do not possess ;)

sophist

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 26, 2011, 09:14:05 AM
I'm not clear on what "every other 3.0 jam" sounds like, but assuming we're talking about the rather common formula of song -> rock jam -> ambient breakdown -> bouncy electronica-like sequence, then no, this Piper does not sound like that.

Sheesh, you'd think in an era constantly derided for its stagnation and lack of creative jamming, there'd be at least a little credit given when the band is trying for once to dynamically create spontaneous music (commentary on success of execution aside), but I guess not...
It sounds like every other 3.0 jam because Trey jams in (literally) 9th chords and strums "rhythmically" to the beat of the rest of the band.  It's just like all of the 3.0 Drowned, and RnR.  It has that jam in it. 
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on January 26, 2011, 09:59:57 AM
voodoobr3w-Your first mistake was using logic.  This is obviously something that mpp2 haters do not possess ;)
pfffffffffffffffft.  Logic isn't the issue here, it's a lack of understanding of hearing a band do nothing new. 

McGrupp

Sorry dude but just because Trey is trying hard doesn't mean it's a good jam. I listened to it a few nights ago and I agree with all of the above posts. The jam is long (ish) but never develops any sort of theme and doesn't really go anywhere at all. But that's just my set of ears, I like plenty of jams that other people don't dig (see: portsmouth Gin).
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

I think the Portsmouth Gin has a good dose of RAWK peak to it, but that's about all I remember from it (but to me all 3.0 Gins have that hardy RAWK peak). 

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on January 26, 2011, 10:40:34 AM
I think the Portsmouth Gin has a good dose of RAWK peak to it, but that's about all I remember from it (but to me all 3.0 Gins have that hardy RAWK peak).

The whole thing builds from the start - no bs'ing around, no meandering like most 3.0 Gins. Def has "that" rawk peak, but I think they worked for it and earned it in this one. Trey's playing is kinda sloppy - he's clearly struggling, but I kind of like that about the jam. Its early summer and he's still working out the kinks. It's raw, but I really dig it.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

VDB

Quote from: sophist on January 26, 2011, 10:33:03 AM

It sounds like every other 3.0 jam because Trey jams in (literally) 9th chords and strums "rhythmically" to the beat of the rest of the band.  It's just like all of the 3.0 Drowned, and RnR.  It has that jam in it. 

Well, fair enough, I'm not a guitarist so I don't analyze the music from that perspective. I'm more apt to say something like this:

Quote from: danje on January 25, 2011, 04:59:04 PM
Trey was all over the place, but I respected that fact that he was going for it.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Show blows.

We had more adventuresome jamming at my daughter's birthday party where there was no music played and it wasn't even a party.

Superfreakie

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 28, 2011, 09:31:07 AM
Show blows.

We had more adventuresome jamming at my daughter's birthday party where there was no music played and it wasn't even a party.

ROFLMAO....you've outdone yourself sir!!!  :clap:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.