News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dopapod

Started by DoW, September 28, 2011, 08:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: gah on January 15, 2015, 03:49:58 PM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on January 15, 2015, 03:39:55 PM
Quote from: gah on January 15, 2015, 03:33:19 PM
so, uhh, people like this band huh?

never seen them do a 3 night run. im assuming they arent gonna repeat material ?

I still haven't seen them. But I haven't listened too much either. I just put them in that young kids untz category...

They're definitely more satisfying, to me, than something more one-dimensionally untzy like Bisco. Like Erik said, they have different sounds. I find some of their material to be incredibly hard (as in, hard-rocking). I have read that Chuck, the bassist, didn't come up listening to jam bands but was more into stuff like Primus. You can tell that there's a metal influence on some of their stuff. Then you have the more proggy material, and the more bouncy electro-funk material. I like it all. They don't really do ballads or anything light, which I also like about them. I will also say that their songwriting is only getting better (not that it was once bad), and if you ask me, pretty much the entirety of their latest album is very impressive.
Is this still Wombat?

Undermind

Full Spring Tour Announced today:

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

VDB

None of this helps me but luckily they already scheduled an SC show for early March.
Is this still Wombat?

Undermind

First Red Rocks appearance!  Good for them!
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

JPhishman

Ok I lied. They didn't quite make the cut for my Jamcruise survey. I'm sure they'll be back at Catskiil Chill though, so I'll see them there. Hopefully along with the jauntee!
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

DoW

Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

zimbra

I'll definitely be at the Houston show.  Never seen these guys before, I'm pumped.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Gundo

Quote from: zimbra on February 23, 2015, 09:47:40 PM
I'll definitely be at the Houston show.  Never seen these guys before, I'm pumped.
Nice bud! I psyched they are coming to Austin. Gonna see if I can swing it. I might be out of town that day though

VDB

I listened to the 2/25/15 show today. Really, really excellent improv throughout. As a general tendency, they don't open up quite as much as Phish, but they definitely go type II, if we want to use that common parlance.

Also, the 12/30/15 New James is spectacular.
Is this still Wombat?

Undermind

19 FABA last night too is well worth the listen and has type 2 going on!

DoW

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on February 27, 2015, 05:21:12 PM
I listened to the 2/25/15 show today. Really, really excellent improv throughout. As a general tendency, they don't open up quite as much as Phish, but they definitely go type II, if we want to use that common parlance.

Also, the 12/30/15 New James is spectacular.
I am happy they are finding a way to make most shows available now.

I hate any type of comparison but remember you are comparing them to what Phish was doing 10 years in.  plus, comparing anyone to Phish makes the other band lose anyway.

also, I like that they just keep adding new songs.  my first impression is the newer songs sound too much like other songs but we'll see when I start to hear them more.

VDB

I wasn't meaning it to be a knock against Dopapod; I think it's largely born out of what the bands' respective sounds are like. I personally am loving how they jam these days, and yet I believe we may just be seeing the tip of the spear here.

Really psyched for next week's show in Greenville.
Is this still Wombat?

DoW

I know you're a fan and knew you weren't knocking them.
sometimes I just like to remind myself how early in their career they are.
my biggest worry is that they will get burned out from touring so much, but it becomes less of a worry each year.  they seem so driven.

hope you get a great show next week.  I've already been thinking about their 3 night run in boston in april which is unusual because I don't usually look that far ahead to shows.

VDB

Of course, selfishly I'm happy with the heavy touring since it means more chances for me to see them at a time when I know I can catch a show and they'll kill it since that's what they do every night.

I continue to notice on the AUDs that the crowds sound very chatty. Aren't they there to see the band? I don't notice this so much in person, although I try to hang closer up front where the "serious fans" are.

edit: The crowds were chatty, not the crows. I can't comment on the crows.
Is this still Wombat?

Undermind

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on February 27, 2015, 07:38:53 PM
Of course, selfishly I'm happy with the heavy touring since it means more chances for me to see them at a time when I know I can catch a show and they'll kill it since that's what they do every night.

I continue to notice on the AUDs that the crows sound very chatty. Aren't they there to see the band? I don't notice this so much in person, although I try to hang closer up front where the "serious fans" are.

Seems like a problem at a lot of shows I have been to lately.   I seem to find my way to less chatty areas as well.  Unfortunately tapers are stationary and normally far away from the stage, and that is where the damn yappers like to be.