News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2012 Election Thread

Started by runawayjimbo, January 03, 2012, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twatts

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 20, 2012, 10:37:38 AM

Yup. Newt thinks that's just about the most despicable thing imaginable. He also thinks hyperbole is better than sex, Jesus, sliced bread and double rainbows combined.

Typical GOP response...  Don't own up to your faults and be responsible, instead call the people that remark on your own despicable behavior as "despicable".

In plain English:  "The fact that I'm morally destitude and cheated on my wife isn't the issue.  The fact that the media pointed it out to everyone is the issue."

Terry

ETA:  And "Yeah, I'll cheat on my wife at the same time I press to have the President impeached for cheating on his wife".  That's not hypocritical or anything...
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

gah

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on January 20, 2012, 11:06:49 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 20, 2012, 10:37:38 AM

Yup. Newt thinks that's just about the most despicable thing imaginable. He also thinks hyperbole is better than sex, Jesus, sliced bread and double rainbows combined.

Typical GOP response...  Don't own up to your faults and be responsible, instead call the people that remark on your own despicable behavior as "despicable".

In plain English:  "The fact that I'm morally destitude and cheated on my wife isn't the issue.  The fact that the media pointed it out to everyone is the issue."

Terry

ETA:  And "Yeah, I'll cheat on my wife at the same time I press to have the President impeached for cheating on his wife".  That's not hypocritical or anything...

Reminds me of this clip,  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard What? Hold on dog. Whatchya gonan ask me, in front of my wife and everything?!

re: the capitalism posts, I'm way too exhausted to discuss that sort of thing right now.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

VDB

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on January 20, 2012, 11:06:49 AM

Pretty much sums it up.

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 20, 2012, 11:31:52 AM
re: the capitalism posts, I'm way too exhausted to discuss that sort of thing right now.

Get some sleep, dood! By the way, I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything, just exploring the difference of opinion I was picking up on. People can discuss it till the cows come home, but I don't think the world will ever arrive at one single, universally accepted economic theory or preferred system.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

1- What John King, should have pointed out, imo, that Newt's affairs were occuring at a time when the GOP was touting itself as the party of "family values"

Of course, this type of question was far from despicable when Clinton was a candidate or Prez.

2-I have no problem with Romney being rich, or investing his $ in a way to minimize taxes. I do have a problem, as I've said repeatedly, a system that taxes you less if you make $ on dividends / investments than if you actually work

3-Venture capitalists are a double edge sword. Sometimes, they provide capital to support a business. Sometimes, they buy firms and sell them for parts. I'm not sure I connect the dots the same way Romney does - just cause he was / is a venture capitalist doesn't mean he knows how to create jobs.
Now, if Romney ran a firm that actually created something (other than wealth), that would be a different story

4-Although I believe in a capitalist system, unregulated capitalism is expoitive. the owners will always try their best to get the laborers to work as hard as humanly possible and pay them the least they can get away with. That's why unions and labor laws got started. then, the unions got too much power, and on it goes.
You're correct, though, our current system of corporate rule is far, far worse and doesn't represent a free market
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mbw

let us not forget newt first discussed terms of a divorce with his first wife while she was in the hospital recovering from surgery having a tumor removed.

antelope19

Are we really calling out politicians for their moral compass? C'mon, both parties are equally guilty on this topic, IMO.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

gah

Quote from: antelope19 on January 20, 2012, 01:00:55 PM
Are we really calling out politicians for their moral compass? C'mon, both parties are equally guilty on this topic, IMO.

Of course both parties are guilty of this (ex: John Edwards, Bill Clinton, etc), but seeing as how we're discussing the Republican debates, I don't see why we'd be pointing out the moral failings of previous democratic nominees/presidents, or did I miss something?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: goodabouthood on January 20, 2012, 01:14:46 PM

Of course both parties are guilty of this (ex: John Edwards, Bill Clinton, etc), but seeing as how we're discussing the Republican debates, I don't see why we'd be pointing out the moral failings of previous democratic nominees/presidents, or did I miss something?

Yeah, you missed something, not everyone is a democrat. 

:ducks:
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

Hicks

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on January 20, 2012, 02:04:44 PM

LOL

Once you've impeached someone for getting a beej you've pretty much lost any right to claim that your own affairs are private.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: slslbs on January 20, 2012, 12:45:55 PM
3-Venture capitalists are a double edge sword. Sometimes, they provide capital to support a business. Sometimes, they buy firms and sell them for parts. I'm not sure I connect the dots the same way Romney does - just cause he was / is a venture capitalist doesn't mean he knows how to create jobs.
Now, if Romney ran a firm that actually created something (other than wealth), that would be a different story

Totally agreed. He goes around acting like the factory owner. Of course, we all know that money can help create jobs because lots of businesses need money to launch and grow. So if he's simply claiming that, as a venture capitalist, he knows how jobs are created, that doesn't make him very special.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

Quote from: Hicks on January 20, 2012, 02:14:28 PM

LOL

Once you've impeached someone for getting a beej you've pretty much lost any right to claim that your own affairs are private.

sls.stormyrider

^^^
looks pretty funny - I'll have to watch the whole thing when I get home

LOL

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

kellerb

Quote from: slslbs on January 20, 2012, 02:59:52 PM
^^^

LOL

A former coworker of mine had this to say:  "Never turn down a blowjob."  He's been married for like 6 years now, so I doubt that motto applies to him anymore.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: kellerb on January 20, 2012, 05:09:45 PM
^^^

LOL

A former coworker of mine had this to say:  "Never turn down a blowjob."  He's been married for like 6 years now, so I doubt that motto applies to him anymore.

I take it you're not married, keller? If anything it's even more applicable now.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

kellerb

Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 20, 2012, 09:01:47 PM
Quote from: kellerb on January 20, 2012, 05:09:45 PM
^^^

LOL

I take it you're not married, keller? If anything it's even more applicable now.

Well, I meant he's probably never in the position where he gets the offer.  So I think we're thinking the same thing.