News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

True Detective

Started by emay, April 23, 2015, 04:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

I need to watch this last episode again.  I found myself constantly drifting away, thinking about anything and everything throughout the hour.  The shootout was great, but I found myself wondering, "Who the fuck are these people?"  Clearly I was supposed to know this, so I guess I daydreamed through a significant portion of dialog.  I'm not sure what it is...maybe the casting?  (Seriously, Vince Vaughn and Colin Farrell?)  But I constantly find myself aware of how crappy the dialog sounds, particularly Vaughn's lines -- so much of what his character says sounds like a cartoony comic book villain.  Maybe it's him, maybe it's the writing.  I dunno. 

Anyhow, I'm not giving up yet.  I thought last week's episode was really great, and Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch are killing it, IMO. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

emay

Yeah I straight passed out during episode 3 and had to rewatch. Coulda been the dabs.
It seems everytime they get somewhere with the investigation it just leads to dead ends like a blow up car or the person they are tryin to question ends up dead. Not going well for the investigation side of things

rowjimmy

The writing really started to show last night. Too much of the dialog sounded like it was from a page rather than from a human.
Very much annoyed me.

VDB

^ Yeah, I had the same thought. It's so constant it can't just be accidental, so early on I decided this must just be a stylistic decision and that's that, but when you have entire conversations (e.g. Vince and his wife) that are just a stream of mysterious profundities, it gets a little much.
Is this still Wombat?

emay

only 2 episodes left

season 1 is way better than this one.
Knew it was going to be something with a cop cuz of the rubber bullets thing.

rowjimmy

I'm warming up on this season.

The problem going in is that the first season exists. These are, quite deliberately, two very different shows. Season one, set in the Louisiana Gulf coast was naturally built around religious mysticism & fanaticism and political corruption while paced to match a slow southern drawl.

Season two, being rooted in LA, has far different roots to draw on. This is the land of film noir, real estate development deals, big money and, yes, political corruption. The tempo is entirely different because life in LA flows at a different pace. The land deals invoke Chinatown the way every LA film eventually must if it's not a hollywood insider flick (and even a hollywood insider flick can be driven by land deals. See: Who Framed Roger Rabbit.) This time he's also taken on the much greater challenge of building the story around four major characters vs two which, I think, led to the slower launch. Now that things are rolling, the show feels lined up to a strong finish.

In the end, I think we will find (at least some of) our detectives finding redemption/healing or a path thereto in their work on this case.

Also, don't forget about the Jeweler's kids... That's a thing.

gainesvillegreen

I wish they could get all the rhythm of the dialogue to match that of the talk around the breakfast table in the beginning of the last episode. Thought that has been one of the highlights of the show. I've been watching every week but not reading reviews so I don't know how this season is being received. I could see how it may be getting panned.

The Rachel McAdams character I feel has been the most interesting to watch. With four characters to follow rather than two, it feels a little diluted, but I would give the whole thing a B/B+ so far with two eps to go. Vince Vaughn has been better than I anticipated (although his dialogue gets melodramatic at times), and Colin has felt a bit of a revisit from the Woody/Matt characters from the first. Had high hopes for him, but hasn't quite come off for me.

Also like all the Lera Lynn in this series, nice surprise. Talented, hot, and plays guitar. All of that is hard to beat in one woman.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

rowjimmy

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on July 30, 2015, 08:58:31 PM

Also like all the Lera Lynn in this series, nice surprise. Talented, hot, and plays guitar. All of that is hard to beat in one woman.

Is that who that is?
No lie, I'd cut her out were I the editor. She detracts more than she adds, imo.

This is not a reflection on her or her talents, simply my view of how they've used her work in the show.

phil

I have never watched this series before, but I had a dream that I did last night. Shit was hysterical. Probably a much different show in real life, from what I gather. Thanks for reading my sweet blahg.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

blatboom

just watch Season 1 twice and forget S2 was ever made

mbw

this season has shown me what a terrible actor vince vaughn is.

blatboom

the source material is even worse than he is

mbw

ytowndan

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mbw

The season finale is coming up and i don't even know what we are supposed to be waiting to find out.  Who killed the Casper guy? Who cares?

My theory is that Vince Vaughn did that, even though he is the one all upset about it.  He was also the guy that shot Collin Farrel.  What the point of the other two cops and their side stories are is beyond me.

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 31, 2015, 07:58:11 AM
Quote from: gainesvillegreen on July 30, 2015, 08:58:31 PM

Is that who that is?
No lie, I'd cut her out were I the editor. She detracts more than she adds, imo.

This is not a reflection on her or her talents, simply my view of how they've used her work in the show.

Imo, shes the best part of the show.