News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/15 - Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA -Post Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, August 16, 2012, 02:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

Quote from: sophist on August 22, 2012, 11:30:10 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 22, 2012, 11:02:52 AM
Quote from: sophist on August 21, 2012, 09:05:30 AM
He wants to be your roots rock guitar god

Quote from: sophist on August 22, 2012, 09:03:02 AM
he is anti-guitar god in his ambitions right now.

I'm confused.
It's not confusing at all.  Roots Rock is about song writing, not shredding solos.  That's Trey.  Springsteen isn't known for his shred, he's known for writing shit that connects people with "every-man" lyrics, this is Trey.  He wants to be this singer/song writer, not the habitual psychedelic mind fuck captain that he once was.

I agree with this 100%
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Gumbo72203

You guys are nuts, lol. 

Trey doesn't have to let 25 minute jams happen.  They happen because he wants them to.  They also don't happen when he doesn't want them to. 

Point being: Trey is a manic scatter-brain.  His interests change, ALL THE TIME.  This Rock and Roll happened, because Trey wanted to captain a spaceship from the stage.  BG2.2 happened because Trey wanted to keep blasting through songs. 

From a performance standpoint, they offer HUGELY different perspectives and methods of approach.  The latter is actually harder in a way, because you have to make every note count, and you go for the jugular all the time; its a full-on assault all the time, taking no time to explore.

And in a way, THAT is more exploratory.  You get ONE chance to come up with the goods.  Are you going to be on?  Ready for take-off?  In command?  Because if you're REALLY in command, you don't need any time to explore to come up with a good theme or idea.  It just happens instantly. 

Granted, thats not what I prefer myself, but there is something to be said for that type of approach, especially from a band whose most lauded accomplishments onstage were composed and created with, out of, and by ludiscrously long lengths of time (11/29/97 Jim, Cypress).

I think what they're doing right now is good for them:  they're going for the extremes, with super length, and super shortness.  Each type of set, as a musician, will have a completely different flow and feel. 

I mean, imagine being in their shoes.  In 1997, if Mike's Song was the 3rd song of a 2nd set, they would probably think "Okay, we maybe have time for like...  what, 4-5 more?"  Now, Mike's Song can be the 5th song of a set, and they'll still play 7 more. 

They're doing this, so that they can get a better grip on their capabilities, and get a better sense of command over the repetoire, setlist, and selection.  If they know how to make a Tweezer be 16 minutes long and interesting again, thats going to factor into how they approach the rest of the set. 

Also, look at the cycle of lengths that certain songs have been going through.  Ghost went from being routinely 15+, to routinely under 6.  Now, its back to normal.  Its REALLY easy to get bored with a song, and let it get stale, and you simply run out of ideas with it.  And the only thing is time away from it, both in performance of the song and its frequency in the rotation. 

So, I really don't remember what kind of point I was trying to make.  I'll let you guys figure that one out.  Let me know what you come up with, because I'll probably maybe agree with half of what you said I half-agree with, or definitely half-agree with everything you agreed more-than-half with.  Or you could go tackle a hot chick into a pool.  That'd be pretty awesome.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

blatboom

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 22, 2012, 05:28:00 PM
Trey doesn't have to let 25 minute jams happen.  They happen because he wants them to.  They also don't happen when he doesn't want them to.

maybe Trey should ask the other 75% of the band if they wanna jam some time

barnesy305

Quote from: blatboom on August 22, 2012, 05:34:41 PM

Mom will move the Volvo out of the garage and everything.

Gumbo72203

*sigh*  He doesn't ask, because he already knows what their answer is going to be......   :-(

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mbw

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 22, 2012, 05:49:32 PM

*sigh*  He doesn't ask, because he already knows what their answer is going to be......   :-(

i'm glad you know what trey is thinking so well.

VDB

I agree with this. This band has demonstrated enough times that they can still jam at will these days. And when they don't, it's usually TA who pulls out the rug, although sometimes it's JF.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 22, 2012, 05:49:32 PM

Not sure what this means. MG seems to always be down to jam, and PM is just down for whatever.

edit: stupid me reviewing songs that weren't from this show...
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Quote from: danje on August 22, 2012, 03:50:52 PM
I think the biggest problem with Trey's tone is mostly coming from his right hand.

Runner up being his left.

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 24, 2012, 06:24:38 PM
Quote from: danje on August 22, 2012, 03:50:52 PM
I think the biggest problem with Trey's tone is mostly coming from his right hand.

Runner up being his left.

I can't be sure, but I'd say it's one or the other. Definitely.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Gumbo72203

whichever forearm is least muscular, is the problem hand. 

he needs a shakeweight. 

danje

kellerb

rowjimmy

Gumbo72203