News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

show naming conventions - question

Started by jedifunk, December 10, 2004, 01:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

Hey guys

Wondering if its a bad idea to rename show folders once I've downloaded and/or seeded a show.  Does that mess with the md5s or the etree DB?  I mean, say I want to seed/reseed a show, but I've renamed the folder (from ph1999-09-21.shnf.neumanns to 1999/09/21shn Pima Co, AZ), and I've forgotten that it had the neumann or 4011 at the end of the original file structure & I simply retype ph1999-09-21.shnf.  Does that mess things up?

Reason I ask is because I keep my shows organized on a seperate HD following this convention: 1999/09/21shn Pima Co, AZ

I just want to make sure if I'm throwing up a reseed that it recognizes that.  Does bt.etree.org know based on the shnid/showid or by the file structure.

hope this makes sense.  thanks for any help.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

Makese sense.  

Two things, though.  First, the name doesnt much matter for your archival purposes.  If you change the name of an shn file, you will need to edit the md5 to show the new name.  Renaming the file wont give it a new md5 sig though, so your renamed file will always still match the md5 at db.etree, assuming that it matched in the first place.  

But, it will definitely not sync up with torrent posts at bt.etree if you change the directory structure, or any of the directory names or even if you add a blank space to the text file and resave it.  Torrents can be finnicky, and if your file tree and files dont match bit for bit (sometimes almost impossible with txt and md5 files) you will just have to create a new torrent altogether.
-AD_

jedifunk

ok, so next question... is that a bad thing?  is it super bad for me to reseed something, but because I changed the directory name it doesnt register as a reseed, but instead as a new seed?  also, i don't keep the torrent files after i've finished DLing something (is this bad also?).

thanks for the help.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

I dont think its bad.  If bt.etree.org wanted us to be only reseeding old torrents instead of new ones theyd make their site more accessible and sortable.  As it is I have trouble finding old posts, and the search function is sketchy at best.  

But, you may also want to consider the situation in the reverse, and realise that if youre seeding filesets with non-standard directory trees and naming conventions people will be changing them, and thus probably wont be able to reseed your torrents.  

I dont care what the dir names or structure is like when I download shows, but I do change them to fit a standard on my system.  Sometimes Ill hold off a bit in case I want to reseed the existing session.  I always change the dir names and structure to my liking before archiving to dvdr, though.

I dont, however, like to download actual files that dont fit the standard etree convention.
-AD_

jedifunk

right, that i understand.  i'm not changing anything to do with the actual shn/flac files & md5s, only the folders that they reside in.  i also do rename them to bt.etree naming conventions before seeding/reseeding them.  the only thing is that if it had any extra info in the name (such as neumann or 4011, etc) that would not be there.  so the etree DB will still be able to reference the correct showid/shnid, just the torrent file will be different.

i just wanted to make sure i wasn't gumming up the works.  thanks.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio