News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

String Cheese Incident

Started by AfterMidnight, August 25, 2011, 05:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfterMidnight

This is old news to to many, but I thought I'd post and see if anyone is going to NYC or Boston. I'm going to be hitting Boston but I'm on the fence about NYC

November 25, 2011   Thomas Wolfe Auditorium   Asheville, NC
November 26, 2011   Fox Theatre   Atlanta, GA   
November 27, 2011   Georgia Theatre   Athens, GA   
November 28, 2011   Ryman Auditorium Nashville, TN   
November 30, 2011   Lyric Opera House   Baltimore, MD   
December 1, 2011   Tower Theatre   Upper Darby, PA   
December 2, 2011   The United Palace   New York, NY   
December 3, 2011   The United Palace   New York, NY   
December 4, 2011   Orpheum Theatre   Boston, MA   

mopper_smurf

Don' t forget to dress up for SCI ...

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

sophist

::quotes self::

Quote from: sophist on July 03, 2007, 03:45:11 PM
Quote from: takiharo on July 03, 2007, 05:18:54 AM
I recently came to a realization, that although now we have sites such as setlist.com I thought it might be fun to make a SCI compendium in the vein of The Grateful Dead compendium or to a far lesser extent the Phishing Handbook. Considering the time and effort it would require, firstly I'd ask if there were any people out there that would be interested in undertaking such a large task, and secondly if anyone would be interested in (more than likely considering the time invested) purchasing such a thing.

I'm pretty sure(97.365789009%) you can sum up every post 2000 setlist as:

set I:
crap ->
semi trippy, but really repetitive jam ->
slide jam ->
we should play some bluegrass,
crappy cover of miles davis ->
electronic jam ->
slide jam ->
one man drum jam ->
Mouna Bowa
end set

set II:
Rollover ->
repeat of semi trippy, but repetitive jam ->
crap II ->
poor attempt at psychedelic rock ->
new song,
bluegrass ->
slide jam ->
crap III ->
Rollever

Encore:
why the fuck are people clapping?
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

AfterMidnight

Quote from: sophist on August 26, 2011, 01:37:26 PM
::quotes self::

Quote from: sophist on July 03, 2007, 03:45:11 PM
Quote from: takiharo on July 03, 2007, 05:18:54 AM
I recently came to a realization, that although now we have sites such as setlist.com I thought it might be fun to make a SCI compendium in the vein of The Grateful Dead compendium or to a far lesser extent the Phishing Handbook. Considering the time and effort it would require, firstly I'd ask if there were any people out there that would be interested in undertaking such a large task, and secondly if anyone would be interested in (more than likely considering the time invested) purchasing such a thing.

I'm pretty sure(97.365789009%) you can sum up every post 2000 setlist as:

set I:
crap ->
semi trippy, but really repetitive jam ->
slide jam ->
we should play some bluegrass,
crappy cover of miles davis ->
electronic jam ->
slide jam ->
one man drum jam ->
Mouna Bowa
end set

set II:
Rollover ->
repeat of semi trippy, but repetitive jam ->
crap II ->
poor attempt at psychedelic rock ->
new song,
bluegrass ->
slide jam ->
crap III ->
Rollever

Encore:
why the fuck are people clapping?

so i take it you'll be there? the way i look at it there's no fall tour might as well go see them. they never out this way.

sophist

Given that the tickets are going like hot cakes, no.  My disgruntled ass in any of those venues is a wasted ticket that could go to a real fan.  I like seeing shows with my buddies, but I won't waste a space either. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Superfreakie

I'll probably do Boston. Been awhile since I've seen them and hopefully my work sched has slowed down by then.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 26, 2011, 05:06:25 PM
I'll probably do Boston. Been awhile since I've seen them and hopefully my work sched has slowed down by then.

My band is trying to set up an after-party near the Orpheum for this show.... you should definitely come down!
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

Please tell me you're just going to pick up hula hotties.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Hicks on August 26, 2011, 05:37:23 PM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard Honestly, I don't mind the Cheese. Granted, I haven't seen them since '99, but the few times I did I had a "fun" time. Wasn't face melt good but I got my groove on and yes, the vagina ratio is a bonus. I understand why some don't like them, but to each his own. For example, Soph hates on them, but conversely I can't stand Panic and lord knows I have tried. I've walked out of two of their shows and I have only walked out of three shows in my life, one DMB and two Panic shows.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

birdman

Hula girlz*->Jauntee*

*featuring Superfreakie

Count me in.
Paug FTMFW!

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: birdman on August 26, 2011, 07:58:19 PM
Hula girlz*->Jauntee*

*featuring Superfreakie

Count me in.
Recipe for fun I'd say.
:wtu:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Superfreakie

Quote from: birdman on August 26, 2011, 07:58:19 PM
Hula girlz*->Jauntee*

*featuring Superfreakie

Count me in.

Excellent!!

sophist

Quote from: Superfreakie on August 26, 2011, 06:57:11 PM
Quote from: Hicks on August 26, 2011, 05:37:23 PM

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard Honestly, I don't mind the Cheese. Granted, I haven't seen them since '99, but the few times I did I had a "fun" time. Wasn't face melt good but I got my groove on and yes, the vagina ratio is a bonus. I understand why some don't like them, but to each his own. For example, Soph hates on them, but conversely I can't stand Panic and lord knows I have tried. I've walked out of two of their shows and I have only walked out of three shows in my life, one DMB and two Panic shows.

See, I find this fascinating, but then again I know I have a truly unique musical paradigm.  I've seen 3 Cheese shows (5/6/00, 11/17/00, and 4/18/03), and it's contrived hippieness in my opinion, or at least I feel like it is being hippy for the sake of being hippy, and that's a turn off to me.  I don't see panic as hippies, I see them as these dudes that were heavily influenced by 70's rock and at the same time they have a sense of hippie-dom to them.  I also like the gritty nature of panic.  It just feels like mother nature unleashed a hurricane on my ass and at the same time I've been stranded in a swamp with only doses and whiskey (again right up my alley).  So I like that aspect.  Panic doesn't hit me like anything else, and I know in part it's a product of my upbringing.  Having been born in Atlanta, it's hard to escape the shadow of panic.  Add to it, that I started seeing them at their pinnacle,  and it's a band that's profoundly impacted me musically.  I'll admit, I don't drool over panic like I do Animal Collective or the Dead, but I still love it for it is which is gritty arena rock.  They used to be very psychedelic to me, but that's changed with Herring on board.  Like I said, it's gritty arena rock to me.   

As far as my point about Cheese, I guess I'd chalk it up to thinking that if I want psychedelic folk or bluegrass, well I can find bands that do both better, and musically, I find them to be the most inferior of the jam bands.  The infusion of the untz into their sound also didn't help.  By '03, I was bored to tears with the jams they were doing.  I think had they remained more folk/psychedelic, then it could be a whole another story for me.  I also think a lot of their lyrics just sound like cliche hippy non-sense as opposed to being profound (Panic is guilty of this at times as well).  I think I've stated it before, but generally, I'm not a jam band guy.  I'll go see all these acts, but I rarely, if ever, find myself listening to SCI, moe, UM, etc.  I think the hippie sound just sucks overall, and it's reached the point of being completely generic.

pcr3

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 26, 2011, 05:23:48 PM

My band is trying to set up an after-party near the Orpheum for this show.... you should definitely come down!

This is great news.  I'm in for the Orpheum show and any Jaunt that may occur afterward.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

JPhishman

Quote from: sophist on August 29, 2011, 09:20:32 AM
it's contrived hippieness in my opinion

I remember my reaction to my first cheese show being exactly this. I was like, "Is this some sort of parody on the jamband scene or something?"

Admittedly, I went on to see a number of SCI shows since the Phish was out to lunch at the time and I needed somewhere to go and do my thing. (This was '06/'07) Looking back on it after getting back on the phish train, it's like SCI doesn't even jam. Nothing about it feels or sounds spontaneous to me. Of course, unless you're the  :syf:, having more band members kinda means it's more difficult to turn corners and find unique musical places, IMO. The musical amoeba never strays too far from it's standard groove with untz or folky/bluegrass deviations.

(This is where you all nod, acknowledging that the 4 piece band is the ideal musical unit.)  :wink:

Funny how I was able to cast my initial feelings about the band aside in order to feed my need for a psychedelic party with friends, and now looking back it's clear to me that these guys are the bottom feeders of the "jam scene."

If people enjoy it, have a blast though. No party pooper here.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie