News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Verizon's Six Strike Plan

Started by runawayjimbo, January 11, 2013, 11:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Because they fucking HATE pirates.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/01/11/verizon-has-already-started-warning-pirates-heres-what-the-first-strike-looks-like/

Verizon Has Already Started Warning Pirates. Here's What The First Strike Looks Like.

In order to deal with piracy, the Obama administration, copyright holders, and Internet service providers have come up with a little plan called "Six Strikes." Copyright holders monitor places where users are sharing illegal copies of movies and TV shows — basically, they're just passing around Game of Thrones over and over again — then copyright holders notify the ISPs that they've got a pirate using their service, and the ISP warns the customer that they've been spotted downloading illegal material.

The details around how the voluntary program got worked out have not been widely discussed. While the MPAA and RIAA have been forthcoming about it, the ISPs and the Obama administration have been more close-lipped. This week, the site TorrentFreak — which has been very interested in the program for obvious reasons — got its hands on Verizon's six strikes plan, which it says it found stored on Verizon's web server. According to the document, users get warnings the first two times they're busted, are required to watch a video about copyright law after the third and fourth warnings, and and will have their Internet speed temporarily slowed down after the fifth and sixth warnings. If the user wants to challenge the validity of the warnings — and claim they were not in fact downloading pirated material — they have to pay a $35 arbitration fee.

Many reports suggest that the Six Strikes program is being rolled out "in coming weeks." In fact it's already started. An acquaintance got the following warning from Verizon in October after someone using his Internet connection joined the legions illegally watching Prince Joffrey getting slapped around:

From: Copyright Notification <notification@copyright.verizon.net>
Date: Thu, Oct 25, 2012
Subject: Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement
To: REDACTED

Dear Verizon Online Customer:

We are writing to advise you that Verizon recently received a notification from a copyright owner of a possible copyright violation that appears to involve your Verizon Online account (the "Complaint"). The work(s) identified by the copyright owner in its Complaint are listed below.

We are contacting you because our records indicate that the Internet protocol (IP) address provided to us by the copyright owner was assigned to your service on the date and time identified by the copyright owner. While this activity may have occurred without your permission or knowledge by an unauthorized user, or perhaps by a minor who may not fully understand the copyright laws, as the primary account holder, you are legally responsible for all activity originating from your account.

Copyright work(s) identified in the Complaint:

Copyright infringement level: 1
Notice ID: REDACTED
Title: Game of Thrones
Protocol: BitTorrent
IP Address: REDACTED
DNS: REDACTED
File Name: Game of Thrones S02E09 HDTV x264-ASAP[ettv]
File Size: 388381214
Timestamp: 10-25-2012 01:58:14 UTC

Copyright infringement is a serious matter that violates U.S. copyright law and subjects infringers to criminal and civil liability. It also violates our Acceptable Use Policy (http://www2.verizon.net/policies/acceptable_use.asp) and Terms of Service (http://www2.verizon.net/policies/tos.asp). If you, or someone using your Internet connection, are engaged in the conduct alleged by the copyright owner, we urge you to stop (and ensure that anyone else who might have access to your Internet connection also stops).

Protecting Your Privacy: The copyright owner has not asked Verizon to identify you, and Verizon will NOT provide your identity without a lawful subpoena or other lawful process. However, if the copyright owner does issue a lawful subpoena or other lawful process that seeks information about your identity or account, Verizon will be legally required to provide the requested information to the copyright owner.

If you have questions regarding this notice or would like to view Frequently Asked Questions about copyrights and piracy please visit us at www.verizon.net/copyrightfaq.
We appreciate your cooperation on this matter.

Sincerely,

Verizon Online

If nothing else, the observer effect may cut down on people's pirating copyrighted material. Or they'll just starting moving in droves to private Torrents.

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mistercharlie

Only Verizon? What about the other ISP's?
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mistercharlie

Apparently all of the ISP's are rolling out the six-strike program this week.  :| 

I don't want to not be able to download Game Of Thrones when it comes back.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2029336/isps-roll-out-six-strikes-program-this-week.html
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

DoW

feels good to be a RCN customer.
I'm going to start psoting CL ads offering to download anything and sell the material to people with 4 strikes or more.
I love the American way.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

VDB

Quote from: mistercharlie on February 27, 2013, 02:13:52 PM
http://www.techhive.com/article/2029336/isps-roll-out-six-strikes-program-this-week.html

OK, two things:

QuoteCopyright holders monitoring peer-to-peer file sharing discover that a device originating from your Internet Protocol (IP) address is trading in pirated content online.

I wonder how they do this accurately since many residential customers have dynamic IP addresses.

QuoteIf, after all of those alerts, you still continue to pirate, the copyright alerts should stop.

That's it? Nothing happens? Does it reset back to strike one, or are you in the clear?
Is this still Wombat?

DoW

I am sure after 6 strikes they terminate your service or they can just ignore it if no actions are being brought.
don't forget though, the ISP has no standing to bring a copyright infringement as they don't own the copyright.

don't be fooled by the fact that anyone whose copyright is being infringed can bring an action against you on any occurence and you can't use a defense of "...but I was only on my 3rd strike...."

this seems like a cheap way of trying to stop pirating.  put the burden on the ISPs of sending notices t customers so that the copyright holder doesn;t have to go through the subpoena process of getting customer information for a claim that will never reach a courtroom.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on February 28, 2013, 09:09:18 AM
I wonder how they do this accurately since many residential customers have dynamic IP addresses.

They know the MAC address of your equipment.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

sls.stormyrider

they won't confuse legitimate downloading from bt with copyright infringement, will they?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Quote from: slslbs on February 28, 2013, 09:18:29 PM
they won't confuse legitimate downloading from bt with copyright infringement, will they?

I'd put money on the possibility.

twatts

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/02/time-warner-cable/

http://www.vice.com/read/there-will-be-broadband-forgotten-by-the-future-some-take-the-internet-into-their-own-hands
Texas, North Carolina, Nebraska, and 16 other states prohibit or discourage municipalities and public power utilities from offering telecommunications services.
http://www.govtech.com/budget-finance/Did-Money-Influence-North-Carolina-Broadband-Bill.html
The law, passed by the North Carolina Legislature last May, places significant deployment restrictions and imposes tax burdens on cities seeking to create their own high-speed networks.
Bills similar to HB 129 were proposed in North Carolina in previous years and were voted down by a Democrat-controlled Legislature. But in 2011, for the first time in a century, the state's Senate and House were controlled by a Republican majority.
According to experts, the shift in political ideology might have been one of the contributing factors behind HB 129's success. But while donating money to a political campaign is common, the amount given to some North Carolina raises the question of whether the funding had an undue influence on those voting for the bill.
Specifically, Rep. Thom Tillis, who became speaker of North Carolina's House in 2011 and ran unopposed in the 2010 election, received $37,000 from telecommunications political action committees in 2010-2011. That figure is almost 10 times the amount he received during the prior two election cycles. Tillis voted in favor of HB 129.

http://www.followthemoney.org/press/ReportView.phtml?r=484
North Carolina's two biggest cable providers, Time Warner Cable and CenturyLink,4 along with the North Carolina Cable and Telecommunications Association (NCCTA), aggressively lobbied for H129, according to Catharine Rice, president of the SouthEast Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors.5 Rice also stated that AT&T and the North Carolina Telephone Cooperative Coalition had official neutral positions, and none of the other incumbent telecommunication companies opposed it.

Keep bending over...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

mopper_smurf

My ISP is really cool ... founded by a bunch of hackers in 1993 and the first to offer interwebs access to the general public in the Netherlands.

A few years ago me my ISP relayed a nasty letter to me from a US law firm complaining that I had posted a Death Cab for Cutie MP3 on my blog. I hate that band and never did such a thing.

Man, I had to go to tons of shit to convince that they were wrong and I was right. My ISP stood by me every step of the way, supplying me with log files, spectral analysis and such. 

Shortly after that Web Sheriff started commenting on some of my album reviews, praising me that I had used music that was cleared for posting. so I had my ISP set up an electric fence around my blog to keep that gratuitous shit out.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

rowjimmy

I've used the xs4all irc servers often in the past...

DoW

I noticed on the torrents I started this weekend that I immediately had a leech (even before it showed up on bt.etree.org).  I was from something like utopia.com.

I think I remember this happened for a short time several years ago too.  I am not concerned in that the torrents I was seeding were completely legitimate.  what was frustrating is that it was just wasted upload and it cleerly was not a peer that was sharing.

no idea if it is related to this concept but it possibly has some connection.

sls.stormyrider

spoke to a guy today who works for Comcast. He doesn't know all the details, but he's pretty sure that the RIAA and friends know the "bad" sites, and that comcast could know what sites people are connected to. So, theoretically, they would  / could know if someone was d/l from a legit site like bt or LL as opposed to pirate bay. theoretically.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."