News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Russell Batiste Jr.

Started by mistercharlie, October 01, 2023, 04:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

Dude was pure fire on drums. The 90's version of the Funky Meters when Art was still healthy was the tightest band I have ever seen in my life. Some of my greatest nights of music in life were that band. 

One night at the end of a PBS show, Russell hucked this drumstick directly at my head. I caught it and have held onto it for a long long time. You can see how hard he pounded those drums!

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

PIE-GUY

Another quick story about him... We were seeing Funky Meters at the ACL-Live Moody Theater and we were side stage with a great view of Russell as he was in the corner that night. His stool broke mid-song with his ass falling straight to the floor. Obviously, he lost the ability to play with his feet and he had to use his left hand to help himself back up... but his right hand never missed a single snare hit. I've never seen anything like it. It was as if his right hand was just completely independent of the rest of him. It just kept time right in the center of that snare drum. I can still picture George and Art just laughing their asses off at him! 

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sunrisevt

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 02, 2023, 08:53:34 AMAnother quick story about him... We were seeing Funky Meters at the ACL-Live Moody Theater and we were side stage with a great view of Russell as he was in the corner that night. His stool broke mid-song with his ass falling straight to the floor. Obviously, he lost the ability to play with his feet and he had to use his left hand to help himself back up... but his right hand never missed a single snare hit. I've never seen anything like it. It was as if his right hand was just completely independent of the rest of him. It just kept time right in the center of that snare drum. I can still picture George and Art just laughing their asses off at him!

That is such a tribute, goddamn.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sls.stormyrider

quite the story!

Another tough loss. RIP
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mopper_smurf

Quote from: sls.stormyrider on October 03, 2023, 10:51:18 AMquite the story!

Another tough loss. RIP

QFT. One of my all time favourite drummers.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy