News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Bonnaroo Superjam this year is.... f**in' weird:

Started by mattstick, May 07, 2014, 02:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bonnaroo-books-janelle-monae-robby-krieger-skrillex-for-superjam-20140507

Bonnaroo Books Janelle Monae, Robby Krieger, Skrillex for Superjam
Three eclectic collaborative jams are scheduled for 2014 fest

For many festivalgoers, Bonnaroo Music Festival peaks with its annual Superjam tradition, which unites a group of disparate artists for a unique, one-off stage collaboration. This year's insane lineup could be the wildest to date: The most star-studded Superjam features Skrillex, Janelle Monáe, the Doors' Robby Krieger, the Grateful Dead's Mickey Hart, Thundercat, Warpaint, Chance the Rapper, Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley, Zedd and more.

There are three Superjams booked for the 2014 fest – and while the other two aren't as jaw-dropping in terms of sheer eclecticism, they're still bound to turn some heads.

The second jam features guitar whiz Derek Trucks with special guests Andrew Bird, Chaka Khan, Taj Mahal, Ben Folds, Susan Tedeschi, drummer Adam Deitch, guitarist Eric Krasno, Los Lobos frontman David Hidalgo and legendary session drummer James Gadson. The Bluegrass Situation Superjam (hosted by actor-banjo ace Ed Helms) features Lonesome Trio, Dierks Bentley, Sarah Jarosz, Lake Street Dive, the Black Lillies, Shovels & Rope, The Lone Bellow, Robert Ellis, Della Mae, Bryan Sutton and Yonder Mountain String Band banjoist Dave Johnston.

Last year's Superjam found My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James collaborating with John Oates (and guests R. Kelly and Alabama Shakes' Brittany Howard) for an unpredictable set featuring covers of John Lennon, Prince and Sly and the Family Stone.

Reflecting on the set afterward, James told Rolling Stone, "You just kind of walk off from that. . . literally feeling like you just won the Super Bowl or something because it was such a battle. . . The whole thing was such a fucking battle. . . there's so much involved in trying to make it work. And then when it actually does work, you really just feel so victorious."

Bonnaroo 2014 takes place June 12th to 15th in Manchester, Tennessee. More details can be found at the fest's website.

barnesy305

mistercharlie

Quote from: barnesy305 on May 07, 2014, 02:38:17 PM
Lose Skrillex and I'm cool with it.
That's the same thought I had. I can't stand that guy.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

kellerb

Quote from: mistercharlie on May 07, 2014, 08:40:06 PM
Quote from: barnesy305 on May 07, 2014, 02:38:17 PM
Lose Skrillex and I'm cool with it.
That's the same thought I had. I can't stand that guy.

I know.  Cory Feldman has apparently squandered too much money to get a proper haircut.

Although, he'll probably call the pizza dude.

justjezmund

Anyone else miss when this thing used to be a secret? 

Also lets just skip to the real point and just say stupid.   As is to say, Skrillex makes that lineup stupid.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay

rowjimmy

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

WillBreathes

The #1 played The Doors song on Spotify is called Breakn' A Sweat.

It has almost twice as many plays as any song on there (Riders on the Storm is most played I think).  15 million plays.

I know The Doors pretty well, and had never heard of this.  How is that possible?  I've slacked for a few years I guess, but this is shocking.

Put it on play.

I thought my head broke.  It's a Skrillex song, and the first one I actually know I am listening to.

What the fuck is this "noise"?
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

mbw

Quote from: WillBreathes on May 08, 2014, 08:57:55 PM
The #1 played The Doors song on Spotify is called Breakn' A Sweat.

It has almost twice as many plays as any song on there (Riders on the Storm is most played I think).  15 million plays.

I know The Doors pretty well, and had never heard of this.  How is that possible?  I've slacked for a few years I guess, but this is shocking.

Put it on play.

I thought my head broke.  It's a Skrillex song, and the first one I actually know I am listening to.

What the fuck is this "noise"?

its so bad. 

there is a making of video too if you are a masochist.

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.