News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Metal Thread

Started by Gumbo72203, November 06, 2012, 11:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

Stoner metal?

I recommend Mos Generator.

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

sophist

I love Isis.  Very psychedelic. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

kellerb

mistercharlie

When it comes to metal, I like mine in Tool form. Very psychedelic.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

i grew up on 80's thrash metal and will have a soft spot for it forever.  however, if i didn't listen to it back in the day, i find it hard to get into now...with the exception of My Dying Bride and Machine Head.

i look forward to checking out all the links in this thread over the next few days.  my stoner buddy has been trying to get me into Opeth for years.  if you like them he also recommends Arcturus, Amorphis, and Borknagar - i know nothing about any of these bands.

here's what i go for...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/gwar-covers-kansas,70708/   :rawk:

spaced

I don't always listen to metal, but when I do, I prefer Meshuggah.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: sophist on November 08, 2012, 03:15:04 PM

I knew you'd get them.  I just really finally got into the album they put out afterwards, "Panopticon".  Its a little too pristine-sounding for my taste; part of Oceanic's brilliance is the sound.  Its clean, but its got edge.  But the material on Panopticon is brilliant, although the clean vocals are ehhhh for me.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

sophist

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on November 09, 2012, 02:04:07 AM
Quote from: sophist on November 08, 2012, 03:15:04 PM

I knew you'd get them.  I just really finally got into the album they put out afterwards, "Panopticon".  Its a little too pristine-sounding for my taste; part of Oceanic's brilliance is the sound.  Its clean, but its got edge.  But the material on Panopticon is brilliant, although the clean vocals are ehhhh for me.
you should check out in the absence of truth, it's also a great album by them. 

Panopticon is their best imo. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Gumbo72203

Quote from: anthrax on November 08, 2012, 06:49:49 PM

i look forward to checking out all the links in this thread over the next few days.  my stoner buddy has been trying to get me into Opeth for years.  if you like them he also recommends Arcturus, Amorphis, and Borknagar - i know nothing about any of these bands.

Borknagar is AWESOME, although might be a little on the extreme side for people here.  They are SO melodic, though.  And they incorporate this really interesting kind of "folk vocal" over the black metal main vocals.  Wait til you get to the break at 1:40.  Sit through the blast beats, you'll be okay trust me. 

Amorphis I LOVE because they incorporate a metal element into a more traditional rock song format.

This might be one of my favorite songs, ever, period with some of my favorite melodies, EVER.

Check this out: 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

MiamiPhish

That Borknagar song reminds me of when I'm playing a tune on iTunes, and I go to a website with embedded music - and then I'm hearing both at the same time...

Mr. Natural

Goin' a little old school here, but I found these full vids online and thought I'd share.

1989. I swear, they must have toured for close to 18 months after JUSTICE came out. I've been listening/watching THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE on the reg, lately. So kickass.

I only got about 30 minutes into this one so far. Mucho offstage shenanigans.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

anthrax

^^^^^^

we used to watch vulgar video all the time back in high school.  great seeing that again - thanks for posting!

Mr. Natural

Quote from: anthrax on March 03, 2013, 10:01:38 AM
^^^^^^

we used to watch vulgar video all the time back in high school.  great seeing that again - thanks for posting!

Healthy teenage role models, they ain't.  :laugh:
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..