News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W05: 07-25-1999 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

Started by jedifunk, June 12, 2006, 09:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumni

Quote from: slslbs on June 14, 2006, 10:45:50 PM
Whipping Post - another great transition. great jam - they clearly stuck to their own style and didn't try to be ABB, which made it work. IMO Trey's vocals were lacking, didn't have the grit that Gregg A has.

I agree. I was sort of reminded of Page singing Franklin's Tower during the Phil & Phriends run in '99. I remember thinking: Wow, I never really noticed how young and innocent Page sounded until I heard him on that song. Total contrast with Jerry. But you couldn't help but notice how much fun they were having with it, and the Whipping Post from this show kind of strikes me the same way $.02
Cause I got a degree

jedifunk

ok, so i know its my pick, but i thought i'd chime in here and give my impression of this show.... that i chose.

1st set: well, its the green crew set what can i say... we picked em, and they sticked them... love the choices we made and the band just nailed it!

meat - picked by my friend bean, decent fun opener

mfmf->mlt->whipping post - this shit is HOT!  always great to see the rare mfmf... love how its picks up ambient steam as it heads into MLT... i still dont hear anything that sounds the same from version to version, but i enjoy it non the less.... and you can just feel the HEAT coming off of it as it moves into whipping post.... and this version SMOKES!  trey's vocals are a little quiet at first but then he really gets into it... and the outro jam on this one is top shelf.  just love this jam!

makisupa->bday fun - nice choice after the face melter that was whipping post... fun and groovy... and the bday fun is a kick, although on tape it gets a bit old after awhile... but its worth it.
saw it again - love this song
boogie on - more dance party! :beers: more mike!  he just rules this jam... at this point in the show, they are so in sync its insane... jammin on all four cylinders... very crisp and sharp... love it.
cavern - nice way to end the set

set 2 - another great set... both sets stand on their own.  a great 2 set show.

birds -> walk away - great birds, top 5 version IMO... contains that "sonic ambience" that defines the summer 99 tour... and i love that sound... layers upon layers over textures and moods.... just beautiful work by all 4 guys here... really just a superb jam... and the segue into walk away is smooth and perfect.

antelope - this lope RAGES!  as mentioned already, there are a LOT of gears on the gearshift on this night... they just keep it going and going... then they add just a touch of 99 space (perfect amount and well placed)... a top version IMO.

suzy - YES... PAGE... i love the baby grand during a funk session... and he's all over this one.... dance dance dance, dance the whole night long!  this is my current song/version to listen to over and over, till i fall over from all the dancing i just did... then i replay it and dance some more!  so funky, so fun... and again, they are so "hooked up" its not even funny... on point fellas!

purple rain - not usually a fishman tune kinda guy... but i thought this was perfect time and place for some more fishman humor... and i love purple rain... and then with him not knowing the words... great fun...

yem - so ok... so its not the longest yem ever, but this one jams... trey obviously wanted to get right to the jam... and then they've got that boogie on jam inside yem!  that shit is hot, great work by mike again.

loving cup - great choice... high energy closer for a great great show... and they nail it!  if the creek had a roof it was blowin completely off!

so there it is... my choice... hope you guys enjoyed it as much as i do... its really fallen into heavy rotation since i "rediscovered it"
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

cactusfan

hey jedi, just cause you picked the show doesn't mean we don't want to know why you dig it.
in fact, i'm especially interested in the show-pickers' reasons for picking a given show (beyond the obvious-- that you like it  :wink:)

i'd give a rundown, but this show is shaping up to have the most agreement of any one so far.

basically i love the first set. i like meat more than most folks, i think. same with saw it again, which i love. the birthday moment keeps up such a great vibe. the only part i wasn't thrilled with is cavern, which despite its near ubiquity as a set closer i find to be a lame set closer.

set II, same thing. yay for the spacey BOAF and everything else, though yeah, that brief yem doesn't quite take off the way one would want it to. and a nice fiery loving cup to finish things.

i've heard relatively few summer '99s, so it was great hearing such a good one.
thanks for the pick.

it seems like i'm up for next week.
a plan is forming... and it may involve a number of   :banana:        :banana:

:banana:             :banana:

Alumni

Yup. I don't think there's anything wrong with folks commenting on their own choices. If anything, it might be the most interesting perspective . . . to find out what led someone to highlight that show in particular. Though it probably is good to hold back for a few days to avoid influencing others' reactions.

I dunno why this week's thread is quiet. Maybe its agreement. Maybe its just people slacking  :-D

Since you're up next, I'll mention that if it looks like I'm emphasizing "the bad" at the expense of "the good," it's just 'cause I'm trying to highlight areas where there might be a difference of opinion (which is what makes a discussion thread work, imo). I'm not trying to affect some jaded. negative persona - just trying to get discussion going. So for Jedi's show, that meant fessing up to being a "saw-it-again-hater"  :-P and wondering what could have been re: the YEM. I'd still rank it ahead of any of the 99 shows I got to see personally, precisely because it's a 2-set show. Off the top of my head, the Great Woods shows during the summer, and the Portland shows during the winter all seem either top-heavy or bottom-heavy. Like Jedi mentioned, this week's choice offers two sets that can stand on their own, which is pretty cool.
Cause I got a degree

jedifunk

mmm, i thought great woods night 2 (7/13) was an amazing 2 set show... i know lots of peeps say the 1st set outshines the 2nd, and it does, but the 2nd set holds its own... i love that wolfmans...

but i gotta say, i'm a little sad there arent more comments here... i was hoping my choice would generate alot more discussion that 3 pages... oh well.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Alumni

Heh. You read my mind on that one. After I typed it, I was thinking that it might have been unfair to 7/13. I had spaced on the Possum and Tuesday's Gone to close the show (which I also really enjoyed). So maybe it does rise above the other three . . . Cool, I *did* catch a two-setter  :mrgreen:
Cause I got a degree

August

Quote from: jedifunk on June 15, 2006, 11:48:43 AM
mmm, i thought great woods night 2 (7/13) was an amazing 2 set show... i know lots of peeps say the 1st set outshines the 2nd, and it does, but the 2nd set holds its own... i love that wolfmans...

but i gotta say, i'm a little sad there arent more comments here... i was hoping my choice would generate alot more discussion that 3 pages... oh well.

for some reason jedi, whenever i get a zip file from you, i always get an error message.
my discs of this show are at my moms place now, and i DL the new torrent on my laptop over there......
maybe i will just grab it again.....
its weird that i am seeding a show for me to grab here   :roll:
this is the CLUB!
i am always gonna review!
a

jedifunk

has anyone else had problems with the .zip file of the mp3s i posted for this show?

aug- what app are you using to decompress?  how are you doing it (or trying to do it)?
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

August

i use winzip.
seriously, every zip from you, cannot unzip....i dunno
a

jedifunk

mmm, if you dont mind trying, will you try using stuffit expander?  they make it for windows now... its free.  lmk

http://www.digitalriver.com/v2.0-img/operations/aladdin2/site/int/stuffit_t.htm

and here's a little comparison vs winzip
http://www.stuffit.com/win/deluxe/sitvswinzip.html
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

August

thanks jedi.
i DL stuffit and it worked.
but why would winzip not?

and dont tell me to getamac.com  :wink:
a

fauxpaxfauxreal

I don't know...winzip works for me on his downloads...

August

jedifunk

did you check the link about stuffit vs winzip?

the only thing i can think of is that i used the built-in .zip archiving in OS X.... not sure why that would matter, especially since i know other windows users can open my .zip files (re: faux)
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jonyem

.zip files are funny.
I've seen 'em not work on a machine that made them.
Windows & Mac.
they're weird