News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'The Hobbit'

Started by mistercharlie, October 17, 2010, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ph92

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 18, 2010, 11:29:22 AM
Quote from: willsteele on October 18, 2010, 10:54:18 AM
Glad DelToro is out and Jackson back in.  I can't fuckin wait for this.  In my opinion, the one Hobbit book beats the shit out of all three LOTR books in a lot of ways.  For one, its a lot less depressing to me...   way too much end of our days and now is the time of man shit in LOTR.  I like it best when man is hardly involved in middle earth.  It will be interesting though to see what they do with movie #2 and how they tie it in to the beginnings of LOTR.   

There is so much material in all of these books that they have to leave out..  wish they didn't but the average movie watching public can only take so much I suppose.  They could make the Hobbit 4 hours long and I would love every minute of it though.

I think that the two movies will contain much of what Gandalf is doing when he leaves Bilbo and co. apparently they've cast Radagast and the entire White Council and Gandalf's dealings with the Necromancer will be the flesh that turns this into two films. I'm pretty psyched about this.

wait RJ..... 2 films? that would be EPIC!!!!!!! i would definitely watch 2 movies and have more of the story for sure, ill buy the extended edition too :-D

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 18, 2010, 11:29:22 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 18, 2010, 11:15:28 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on October 17, 2010, 09:39:19 PM
Ian McKellen will return as Gandolf and apparently the part of Bilbo is already cast.

No Ian Holm return? Is the Bilbo character supposed to be much younger in "The Hobbit"? (Obviously, I haven't read the book.)

Although they did briefly portray Bilbo finding the ring in the LOTR films, Bilbo is a much younger Hobbit at the time of his journey than he was in LOTR (111.) factor in that Ian Holm is getting older too, it makes a lot of sense to recast, although He did turn in a stellar performance.

I think that if schedules permit, Martin Freeman could make an excellent Bilbo if he puts on a few pounds.
and IIRC frodo isnt even born at this point in time (during the hobbit) so bilbo is very young

I really do like how Tolkein wrote the hobbit as a kids book, have you guys read the silmarillion? or any of the other middle earth side stories/history? there are SO FUCKING MANY NOW Tolkein's son picked up the slack and edited/added on to a bunch of Tolkein's essays and short stories etc, he also wrote more middle earth history books based on all the notes and things Tolkein left.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

rowjimmy

Yes.
There will be two films.

Have I mentioned that I'm psyched.

Here I was thinking that it was time to start re-reading The Hobbit & LOTR. I did just finish re-reading The Silmarillion and The Children Of Hurin... I suppose that it must truly be time.

And, yes. Frodo is not yet born at the time of Bilbo's adventure.

ph92

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 18, 2010, 12:22:24 PM
Yes.
There will be two films.

Here I was thinking that it was time to start re-reading The Hobbit & LOTR. I did just finish re-reading The Silmarillion and The Children Of Hurin... I suppose that it must truly be time.

ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

i havent finished the Silmarillion yet (its pretty hard to read that when you have intense ADHD), plus the book itself isnt so much a story, it jumps around alot iirc
Make America Melt Again!

rowjimmy

Quote from: phishhead92 on October 18, 2010, 12:24:36 PM
Yes.
There will be two films.

i havent finished the Silmarillion yet (its pretty hard to read that when you have intense ADHD), plus the book itself isnt so much a story, it jumps around alot iirc

I have serial ADHD. It's a collection of histories. Not that bad of a read.

ph92

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 18, 2010, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: phishhead92 on October 18, 2010, 12:24:36 PM
Yes.
There will be two films.

I have serial ADHD. It's a collection of histories. Not that bad of a read.

MY ADHD IS SUPER SERIAL!! :-D

but yeah ill probably grab it when i go home
Make America Melt Again!

sunrisevt

Been hearing about [Gandalf, White Council, Necromancer] off and on for a year or more--I would be so very happy to see that.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Hicks

I hope it will match the level of the LOTR trilogy, but what has Peter Jackson done for me lately?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

antelope19

Quote from: Hicks on October 18, 2010, 02:13:43 PM
I hope it will match the level of the LOTR trilogy, but what has Peter Jackson done for me lately?

King Kong?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Hicks

Quote from: antelope19 on October 18, 2010, 03:17:37 PM

King Kong?

A completely unnecessary remake and way too long.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

zimbra

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 17, 2010, 08:35:51 PM
I'm betting there are a few other Tolkien fans here.

'The Hobbit' is finally over most of the hurdles it's gone through on the road to being filmed. It is slated to start filming in February, with Peter Jackson now on to Produce and Direct.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11560411

I'm looking forward to it.  :crazy:

Thanks for sharing! I've always been a fan of Tolkien's work.  I haven't been to a theater to see a film in quite some time, this will hopefully be worth going!

Quote from: Hicks on October 18, 2010, 03:30:14 PM

King Kong?

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ytowndan

Quote from: Hicks on October 18, 2010, 03:30:14 PM

King Kong?

Man, not only was that way too long, but some parts had the pace of a glacier. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

willsteele

I just hope its not in 3d.  That shit gives me a headache.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

mistercharlie

Quote from: willsteele on October 18, 2010, 05:15:49 PM

The whole thing is being filmed with 3D cameras. They may also release a 2D version though.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Quote from: willsteele on October 18, 2010, 05:15:49 PM

The chance of this movie not being 3D: Zero-Point-Zero.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

willsteele

I have a headache already.

But still super psyched.
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.