News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

Quote from: Mr. Natural on September 07, 2014, 12:25:17 PM
STEP BROTHERS  (2008)

I love John C. Reilly, and this is what I like to see him do. His subtle inflections are the funniest thing to me - like when he's angry, but sounds a little scared, too.

That poster ... now that's scary.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Mr. Natural

9 to 5 - dir. Colin Higgs *  (1980)

I picked up the "Sexist, Egotistical, Lying, Hypocritical Bigot" edition. I never made it to the deleted scenes; just watched the commentary track with Jane, Lily and Dolly. Not much new information, but those ladies are a good time. I love this movie.

* who also directed HAROLD & MAUDE, and FOUL PLAY
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

cactusfan

Quote from: Mr. Natural on September 20, 2014, 09:55:58 PM
9 to 5 - dir. Colin Higgs *  (1980)

I picked up the "Sexist, Egotistical, Lying, Hypocritical Bigot" edition. I never made it to the deleted scenes; just watched the commentary track with Jane, Lily and Dolly. Not much new information, but those ladies are a good time. I love this movie.

* who also directed HAROLD & MAUDE, and FOUL PLAY

Colin Higgins wrote Harold & Maude, but Hal Ashby directed it. He's a great director: Being There, Shampoo, The Last Detail. And so on.

I loved 9 To 5 when I was a kid. Haven't watched it in many years. I should check it out again.

Mr. Natural

Thanks for the correction.

Last night, was the Blu-ray inauguration for our new Vizio flat-screen
BLADE RUNNER (1982)  dir. Ridley Scott

Haven't seen this one in a long time. I didn't understand much of it the last time (I was watching for visual effects instead of plot), but having read a bunch of Philip K. Dick since then, I was way into it this time around.

I call this still "Things could be worse ... or could they?"

Hicks

Quote from: Mr. Natural on September 21, 2014, 06:09:02 PM
Thanks for the correction.

Last night, was the Blu-ray inauguration for our new Vizio flat-screen
BLADE RUNNER (1982)  dir. Ridley Scott

Haven't seen this one in a long time. I didn't understand much of it the last time (I was watching for visual effects instead of plot), but having read a bunch of Philip K. Dick since then, I was way into it this time around.

I call this still "Things could be worse ... or could they?"

Pretty much my all time favorite movie.

"Nothing is worse than an itch you can't scratch."
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

Whiplash.

opening this weekend in a few cities, goes wide next week.

definitely check this out. it's about a jazz drummer at a julliard-like school and his abusive instructor, played by J.K. Simmons, who'll you'll recognize if you don't know the name, and who gives a performance scarier than any horror movie.

very musical movie. very intense. won all the big awards at sundance this year. don't miss it.

mbw

fucking Schillinger.

looks good, thanks for the rec.

khalpin

Quote from: cactusfan on October 10, 2014, 06:58:40 PM
Whiplash.

opening this weekend in a few cities, goes wide next week.

definitely check this out. it's about a jazz drummer at a julliard-like school and his abusive instructor, played by J.K. Simmons, who'll you'll recognize if you don't know the name, and who gives a performance scarier than any horror movie.

very musical movie. very intense. won all the big awards at sundance this year. don't miss it.

Just saw a trailer for that today.  Looks pretty cool.

cactusfan

speaking of musical movies, i also just saw the Nick Cave sort-of-documentary, 20,000 Days On Earth, also very much worth your time, if it's playing anywhere near you.

i wrote a short piece on it here:
www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2014/10/nick-cave-20000-days-on-earth-review/

Mr. Natural

^^ so stoked for this to open in Portland.
I got my calendar marked.

Buffalo Budd

Watched 'Her' a couple of nights ago.
Took me awhile to accept the premise of the movie but once I did, I actually really enjoyed this. 
Is there any better voice than Scarlett Johansson's? I'd fall for my OS too.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Mr. Natural

BOOGIE NIGHTS (1997)  - dir. Paul Thomas Anderson

Years ago, when I first heard of 'director commentary' tracks on DVDs, this is the first movie I thought of. There are 2: the first is with the director, the second is a compilation of commentaries the director did with several of the actors. The first is good and informative, but a couple times fell prey to that common commentary detriment where he'll continue with a story from the last scene, when the current scene starts and it's one I really want to hear about. The second commentary definitely has its worthy spots, but it's all over the place and, again, some of my favorite moments I wanted to hear about got skipped. Plus, with PTA being in his mid-20s, his intimidation with all of the talent assembled in the cast is really evident on that second commentary.

I think this movie makes a great counterpoint to PEOPLE VS. LARRY FLYNT.

Augustus

Watched this last night. Really enjoyed it.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Augustus on October 20, 2014, 01:08:50 PM
Watched this last night. Really enjoyed it.

Fixed that for you...
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Augustus

Thanks!
They were in Austin!!!