News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New turntable/speakers

Started by aphineday, January 01, 2011, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphineday

Okay after putting this on the back burner for a few months, I ended up getting a good deal on a Numark TT200. $125 for the table and a new Shure M25C. Dude also threw in a copy of "Wake Of The Flood" with the purchase. I'm pretty excited to hook this up. A little confused by all of these knobs and settings ;). I'll be playing around with this in the next few days. Feel free to toss any suggestions you may have regarding settings/etc.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

aphineday

So, set up the turntable last night, and was very exited to kick off a listen of Exile when I realized that I don't have a pre-amp. DUH. All I have right now for headphones are some of the cheaper Bose that you could buy at Target like 4 years ago. They don't suck, but I might need an upgrade in that department as well.

So audiophiles, what say you for a pre-amp, and some cans? Do I need a headphone amp? I know, I'm a complete n00b on this stuff, but I'll get there. Thanks a bunch for any ideas.

mbw

what kind of receiver is it going into?  are you sure there isnt a dedicated phono input?

aphineday

Extremely valid question. I really looked at my receiver, and I can't find any kind of phono input. I have a Denon AVR689.
Here's a link with a pretty good shot of the inputs if anyone cares to take a look (maybe I'm missing something), but I don't think it has a spot.
Weird thing is, when you look at the features listed on that site, it claims this unit has a phono input.

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/denon/avr-689-7-1-channel-receiver.html

kellerb

Quote from: aphineday on September 18, 2011, 12:14:03 AM
Extremely valid question. I really looked at my receiver, and I can't find any kind of phono input. I have a Denon AVR689.
Here's a link with a pretty good shot of the inputs if anyone cares to take a look (maybe I'm missing something), but I don't think it has a spot.
Weird thing is, when you look at the features listed on that site, it claims this unit has a phono input.

http://www.4electronicwarehouse.com/products/denon/avr-689-7-1-channel-receiver.html

I see no phono inputs.  However, there's an AUX and a separate VCR/iPod.  I'd try the AUX and see if the input level is reasonable.  Consult the manual, one of the inputs may be for phono but unlabeled?  I assume it would have to have the input levels adjustable somehow though, to deal with phono.

aphineday

Quote from: kellerb on September 18, 2011, 12:56:04 AM
Quote from: aphineday on September 18, 2011, 12:14:03 AM

I see no phono inputs.  However, there's an AUX and a separate VCR/iPod.  I'd try the AUX and see if the input level is reasonable.  Consult the manual, one of the inputs may be for phono but unlabeled?  I assume it would have to have the input levels adjustable somehow though, to deal with phono.
Interesting. I'll check the manual. Thanks man!

mbw

most likely not then, i just wanted to make sure.

im a total n00b at this too, and my current receiver has a dedicated phono input.
i will be upgrading to a surround receiver soon, which wont have one, so i will most likely get either this:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Whest-MC-REF-V-Dual-Mono-Phonostage?sc=2&category=36638

or more probably this:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Needle-Doctor-Phono-Preamps-and-Stereo-Phono-Preamps-1-800-229-0644-Audio-Technica-PEQ3-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=35249

aphineday

I literally lol'd. I think I'll go with option one. Thanks, T.

So pre-amp is knocked out, what about a headphone amp/headphones. Or would it be better to get solid speakers first? Anyone have a suggestion on that?

Hicks

It depends, do you, or will you do most of your listening through speakers or headphones?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

ph92

Good headphones are a ton cheaper than good speakers... Which is why I started with headphone gear.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

aphineday

Quote from: Hicks on September 20, 2011, 10:55:48 AM
It depends, do you, or will you do most of your listening through speakers or headphones?
I'd probably rather start with headphones. I live in an apartment right now, so keeping the noise to a somewhat minimum might be for the best. That being said, I'll be wanting some speakers at some point soon. What should I expect to pay for something decent?

Hicks

Quote from: aphineday on September 20, 2011, 04:20:50 PM
I'd probably rather start with headphones. I live in an apartment right now, so keeping the noise to a somewhat minimum might be for the best. That being said, I'll be wanting some speakers at some point soon. What should I expect to pay for something decent?

For speakers?

Deal with me and it won't be much.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

aphineday

Quote from: Hicks on September 21, 2011, 03:53:31 PM

For speakers?

You are certainly my go-to on speakers. Let's chat it out sometime, Mr. Guru.

Hicks

Quote from: aphineday on September 21, 2011, 04:41:07 PM
Quote from: Hicks on September 21, 2011, 03:53:31 PM

For speakers?

You are certainly my go-to on speakers. Let's chat it out sometime, Mr. Guru.

Sounds good mang.

PIE-GUY

You should start an "ask Mr. Guru" thread...

Speaking of, tell me about that fancy wireless setup y'all sell... is it worth it? Is there a good way to listen to vinyl through it? Does it sound sweet?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul