News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rest In Peace Gregg Allman

Started by PIE-GUY, May 27, 2017, 03:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jam>

Quote from: slslbs on August 31, 2017, 01:37:08 PM
thanks!

On first listen I love Gone Gone Gone and Willin especially.

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 31, 2017, 08:22:45 AM
Whole album is up on NPR First Listen today:
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/31/547045228/first-listen-gregg-allman-southern-blood

Thanks, the insight from the associated article is good too:

QuoteAllman ends the album with Jackson Browne's ode to a fallen friend, "Song for Adam," an overt evocation of his late brother Duane, who died from a motorcycle crash in 1971 as the Allman Brothers Band was approaching the peak of its popularity. Duane was Gregg's hero, and it's impossible to overstate the impact his passing had on his little brother. And in the final verse of this closing cut, Allman reportedly became too overcome with emotion to sing the lyrics: "When I stood myself behind, I never felt so strong / Still it seems he stopped singing in the middle of his song."

Don Was never asked Allman to complete that verse. Perhaps fate intervened. Or perhaps the veteran producer heard something in that final silence that words could never say.

:cry:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

Pretty heavy record.
I really dug it.

sls.stormyrider

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

A nice tribute here
Berklee 5 piece String Orchestra plays Whipping Post

rowjimmy

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that.
(I modded the post to allow the video to embed.)

kellerb

I love that they took little solos that were bits and pieces of the Fillmore East solos and round robin'd a bit.  Not sure how much they improvised but the conductor coming in to hit the downbeat of the final build-up part indicates that they did a bit.

Buffalo Budd

Is it just me or does anyone else find that violinist who takes the last part extremely hot?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on September 06, 2017, 07:24:35 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else find that violinist who takes the last part extremely hot?

I think in this context you can call them fiddle players. I mean, I don't know.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 06, 2017, 09:05:51 AM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on September 06, 2017, 07:24:35 AM

I think in this context you can call them fiddle players. I mean, I don't know.

I always equate fiddle to bluegrass or Celtic music.
When I think of stringed arrangements like this, I always went with violin.

sls.stormyrider

TTB doing Ain't Wasting Time No More at the Beacon with special guests Jaimoe and Nels Cline

rowjimmy

Trey sat in for a 30 minute Mountain Jam tonight.