News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

do you think i need a new router or am i missing something?

Started by VA $l!m, November 21, 2015, 03:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Starting a few months back my wirelss speeds took a severe dip.
Ive had the same modem and router for probably 7 years and at first i wasnt sure what the prob was.
i noticed if i hardwired into the modem my speeds were still low so the other day i talked to time warner and they thought maybe it was my old modem so i got new one.
well, after hooking up the new modem my wired speeds are up to full, between 10-15mb DL but my wireless got even worse... wtf?
my wireless used to always be about 50-75% of my wored speeds, so i expect around 5-10mb DL.
before i got the new modem they were sucking down to about 2-5mb, and now they arent evenreaching 1mb... holy geez.
the weird part is the signal stregth is totally there, about 90% which is real good for me, and the upload speeds havent changed...
also. if i hard wire into the router and not just the modem the dl speeds are still maxed out.

so, am i missing something, or is there something else i should test out before i go drop $ i dont have on a new router?
i was thinkin of getting a time warner tech visit, but im hesitant to even spend the $10 on that to have the guy tell me i just need a new router.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

found a list of firmware updates for the router when i checked the online manual. deabting whether or not to try and install them, lol. dont really know what im doing or if it woukld matter

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 21, 2015, 07:18:22 PM
install the firmware.
right on. thanks.
guess i got nothin to lose really. better to try it before i blow cash on a new one.

rowjimmy

Update is the important second step.

Rebooting, of course, is first.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 21, 2015, 08:55:05 PM
Update is the important second step.

Rebooting, of course, is first.
yeah, been through multiple attempts at rebooting , checking hook up etc.
even if i can get the firmware updated im afraid it might just be its time. 8 or so years is pretty long life for a router from what ive heard.
ill let ya know how the firmware update goes.
theres about 4 update versions on their website. i was just gonna pick the highest # one,  :| ::fingers crossed::

Caravan2001

Not sure about the router, but my dad's shot was creeping and when I called tech support, they couldn't believe he had a 9 year old modem  Swapped out his modem and he started getting the speeds he was paying for.  I think he was paying for like 75mbps and was getting 7 or 8 lol.  Shit was like dialup.  Comcast gave him new hardware and he was flying.  Just tell them to send you new shit (unless you own your modem.)

VA $l!m

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 21, 2015, 10:57:15 PM
Not sure about the router, but my dad's shot was creeping and when I called tech support, they couldn't believe he had a 9 year old modem  Swapped out his modem and he started getting the speeds he was paying for.  I think he was paying for like 75mbps and was getting 7 or 8 lol.  Shit was like dialup.  Comcast gave him new hardware and he was flying.  Just tell them to send you new shit (unless you own your modem.)
that was the first thing i did. i got a new modem and it helped my wired speeds which were slacking, but the wireless problem persisted.
its 100% the router at this point. which is still weird b/c if i wire into the router it gives me same speeds as wiring into the modem directly, AND my wireless signal doing more than fine. so obviously there is something janked up inside the router not allowing it to send the full signal... i guess, lol.

anyway, i was about to try installing a firmware update like i said, but then got stopped before i started b/c under the instructions for installing the firmware it says "LOG INTO YOUR ROUTER"... well, how the heck do i do that?
i tried pulling it up from the windows menu of "my network places", but then it just opened a firefox window and asked for a username and password to load a page which i have no idea if that was even taking em somewhere b/c i have no username or password for the router... smh. im lost for now.

VA $l!m

the way i found the online manula was thru the startup disc.
i just found another section on that disc called "firmware recovery"
im assuming thats different from grabbing a firmware update off the web... not sure if recovering the original firmware or whatever will help.

rowjimmy

google the default password for your router model.
They're all out there on the interwebs.

Chances you've changed it from the default are what?

Slim?

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 23, 2015, 08:12:51 AM
google the default password for your router model.
They're all out there on the interwebs.

Chances you've changed it from the default are what?

Slim?

i have a password for my router connection but thats not it. i honestly dont even think im in the right place b/c its opening a firefox window when im trying to find a program on my hd to log into.  really reaching for a clue here and TBH i just want to say f it and get a new router but the sightest chance that i go buy one and still have th problem b/c its something else im missing is whats making me hesistate.

PIE-GUY

When you google your router you should find not only the default passwords but also the default IP address - you should be able to put that IP address in the firefox address bar to pull it up.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VA $l!m

thanks all, sorry for the frustration.
anyway, i found the password and username and i got into the program.
now to try a download... we'll see.
thanks again for the support!

VA $l!m

well, dled the firmware, unzipped it like they told me and then went to upload it and it keeps telling me 'invalid file name'...

VA $l!m

idk, apparently its upgraded already from the original firmware to the next to last update.
and reading the notes from the last one that i cant get installed there arent any bug fixes just one feature addition. who knows if any of this matters, lol.