News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

VA $l!m

Quote from: barnesy305 on February 07, 2013, 08:44:01 AM
My first show, 20 years ago. Fuck I'm old

Sunday, 02/07/1993
Lisner Auditorium, George Washington University, Washington, DC
Set 1: Suzy Greenberg > Buried Alive > Poor Heart, It's Ice > Sparkle, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird > Rift, I Didn't Know[1], Split Open and Melt, Fee[2] > Runaway Jim
Set 2: Llama, Fast Enough for You, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Reba[3], Tweezer[4] > Big Ball Jam[5], Glide, You Enjoy Myself[6], The Squirming Coil, If I Only Had a Brain > Tweezer Reprise
Encore: Amazing Grace[7], Contact > Big Black Furry Creature from Mars
[1] Fishman on trombone.
[2] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[3] Odd variations on the "Bag it/tag it" lyrics, an atypical jam, and a Simpsons signal.
[4] Gumbo teases from Mike and Page.
[5] Gumbo tease from Mike.
[6] Vocal jam included a brief piece of Oh My Darling, Clementine.
[7] Without microphones.
Performers: Trey Anastasio, Page McConnell, Jon Fishman, Mike Gordon
Notes: I Didn't Know featured Fishman on trombone. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone, dedicated Llama to Chelsea Clinton and, with huge balloon and flowers in hand, dedicated Amazing Grace to his sister on her 30th birthday. Amazing Grace was performed without microphones. Reba included odd variations on the "Bag it/tag it" lyrics, an atypical jam, and a Simpsons signal. Tweezer contained Gumbo teases from Mike and Page. The intro to Big Ball Jam also contained a quick Gumbo tease from Mike. The vocal jam in YEM included a brief piece of the traditional Oh My Darling, Clementine.
This show was part of the "1993 Winter/Spring Tour."

killer 1st. you beat me by a couple months.
don't think i ever heard that show.
need to find a copy.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

khalpin

20 years ago today, my first show:
Saturday, 02/13/1993
Bob Carpenter Center, University of Delaware, Newark, DE

Set 1: David Bowie, Bouncing Around the Room, Poor Heart > It's Ice > Glide > Rift, Stash, Lawn Boy[1] > Maze, Golgi Apparatus

Set 2: Runaway Jim, Wilson[2] > Uncle Pen, Tweezer > The Lizards, Llama, You Enjoy Myself[3], Big Ball Jam > Hold Your Head Up > Lengthwise[4] > Hold Your Head Up, The Squirming Coil, Cavern

Encore: Amazing Grace, Tweezer Reprise

[1] Trey guitar solo.
[2] Simpsons, Oom Pa Pa, and Random Note signals.
[3] Vocal jam contained a Lion Sleeps Tonight theme.
[4] Introduced by Fish as "a very nice song, a sad lament, where I am left out naked on the plank (I can get arrested for that these days)" and he directed a crowd sing-along accompaniment to his vacuum solo.

birdman

lengthwise, eh? Nice first show, n00b.
Paug FTMFW!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: khalpin on February 13, 2013, 09:44:59 AM
20 years ago today, my first show:
Saturday, 02/13/1993
Bob Carpenter Center, University of Delaware, Newark, DE

Set 1: David Bowie, Bouncing Around the Room, Poor Heart > It's Ice > Glide > Rift, Stash, Lawn Boy[1] > Maze, Golgi Apparatus

Set 2: Runaway Jim, Wilson[2] > Uncle Pen, Tweezer > The Lizards, Llama, You Enjoy Myself[3], Big Ball Jam > Hold Your Head Up > Lengthwise[4] > Hold Your Head Up, The Squirming Coil, Cavern

Encore: Amazing Grace, Tweezer Reprise

[1] Trey guitar solo.
[2] Simpsons, Oom Pa Pa, and Random Note signals.
[3] Vocal jam contained a Lion Sleeps Tonight theme.
[4] Introduced by Fish as "a very nice song, a sad lament, where I am left out naked on the plank (I can get arrested for that these days)" and he directed a crowd sing-along accompaniment to his vacuum solo.

Happy Phishaversary!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Nedstruzz

20 years ago last week was the anniversary of my second show.  Freshman in high school and things were just starting to get "weird".

The Portland Expo is pretty much a high school gym. 

02/03/1993
Portland Expo, Portland, ME
Set 1: Loving Cup[1], Rift, Fee[2] > Llama, The Wedge[3], Divided Sky, I Didn't Know[4], My Friend, My Friend[5], Poor Heart > Guelah Papyrus, David Bowie

Set 2: Runaway Jim, It's Ice > Tweezer[6], The Horse[7] > Silent in the Morning > Sparkle, You Enjoy Myself[8] > Lifeboy[3], Hold Your Head Up > Terrapin > Big Ball Jam > Hold Your Head Up, Possum

Encore: Amazing Grace[9], Tweezer Reprise

[1] Phish debut.
[2] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[3] Debut.
[4] Fishman on trombone.
[5] Beginning featured Trey on acoustic guitar.
[6] "Water Your Team in a Beehive I'm a Sent You" lyrics.
[7] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[8] My Girl tease and the "Water Your Team in a Beehive I'm a Sent You" lyrics.
[9] Phish debut; without amplification.

Performers: Trey Anastasio, Page McConnell, Jon Fishman, Mike Gordon

Notes: Loving Cup made its Phish debut at this show and was the first tune played on Page's new baby grand. The Wedge and Lifeboy also debuted. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. I Didn't Know featured Fishman on trombone and the beginning of My Friend and all of Horse featured Trey on acoustic guitar. Tweezer and YEM both contained "Water Your Team in a Beehive I'm a Sent You" lyrics. YEM also contained a My Girl tease. The Amazing Grace encore (also a Phish debut) was performed without amplification.

Augustus

Sorry, brah...the "20 years ago last week" thread is that-a-way >>>>>>

McGrupp

Quote from: Augustus on February 13, 2013, 04:58:47 PM
Sorry, brah...the "20 years ago last week" thread is that-a-way >>>>>>

Darth'd!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

jam>

khalpin

Quote from: jam> on February 14, 2013, 01:39:46 PM
20 years ago was a great phish tour!
Having a baby grand vs. that cheesy electric piano sound was such a nice change.  Not that I ever caught them pre-93, but as far as the recordings go anyway.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: khalpin on February 14, 2013, 02:33:18 PM
Quote from: jam> on February 14, 2013, 01:39:46 PM
20 years ago was a great phish tour!
Having a baby grand vs. that cheesy electric piano sound was such a nice change.  Not that I ever caught them pre-93, but as far as the recordings go anyway.

The Wedge benefitted.  8-)
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

jam>

Any first hand accounts of the Roxy show?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: jam> on February 22, 2013, 10:01:04 PM

I almost went to these shows. Had a ride, tickets, and a place to stay, but I pussied out. It would be the last time I would miss a plausible phish show for many years.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

justjezmund

Quote from: PG on February 23, 2013, 04:43:45 AM
Quote from: jam> on February 22, 2013, 10:01:04 PM

I almost went to these shows. Had a ride, tickets, and a place to stay, but I pussied out. It would be the last time I would miss a plausible phish show for many years.

seems like skinny dave had some live learning to do.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

VA $l!m

15 years ago... about the time those Island shows were announced, no?
couldnt have been much more than a month ahead of time if i recall.
just insane the amount of buzz, and it was about to be on like Donkey Kong wearing Sean JOhn in Bogaton.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-