News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam>

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

sophist

I envisioned that whole thing unfolding.  holy shit, that's an awesome story. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

emay

gah

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 12, 2013, 03:14:20 PM
sounds like a philly time.  :roll:

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

sweet story slim. thanks for sharing it!
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mistercharlie

Quote from: sophist on September 12, 2013, 03:49:39 PM
I envisioned that whole thing unfolding.  holy shit, that's an awesome story.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VA $l!m

BTW, the second set is 100% worth a listen.
pristine SBD. & an excellent performance.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

PIE-GUY

I thought it was a lovely story... And you tell it so well.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

justjezmund

Quote from: PG on September 12, 2013, 09:47:45 PM

except the box of chocolates in this this story are full of magic.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 12, 2013, 09:52:10 PM
Quote from: PG on September 12, 2013, 09:47:45 PM

except the box of chocolates in this this story are full of magic.

:-o
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VA $l!m

pt 2. Slim.

Grateful Dead - September 13, 1993
The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA

Recording Info:
SBD -> Master Dat (48k)

Transfer Info:
Master Dat (Sony R500) -> SEK'D Prodif Plus ->
Samplitude Profesional v8.01 -> FLAC
(3 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)

All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller
charliemiller87@earthlink.net
April 14, 2006

Notes:
-- Seamless transition between Discs 2 and 3

Set 1:
d1t01 - Tuning
d1t02 - Hell In A Bucket
d1t03 - Jack-A-Roe
d1t04 - The Same Thing
d1t05 - Stagger Lee
d1t06 - Black Throated Wind
d1t07 - Dire Wolf
d1t08 - Let It Grow

Set 2:
d2t01 - Tuning
d2t02 - Scarlet Begonias ->
d2t03 - Fire On The Mountain ->
d2t04 - Playing In The Band ->
d2t05 - Dark Star ->
d2t06 - Terrapin Station ->

d2t07 - Drums ->
d3t01 - Space ->
d3t02 - Easy Answers ->
d3t03 - Days Between ->
d3t04 - Good Lovin'

Encore:
d3t05 - Crowd/Tuning
d3t06 - I Fought The Law

http://archive.org/details/gd1993-09-13.sbd.miller.34030.flac16
listened through set 1 and set 2 through drumz so far today.
one of my all time favorite attended shows without a doubt.

This board is so crystal its one of the few dead shows i always end up turning up waaaay louder than any other show i listen to.
Generally considered one of the best post-Brent shows i think.   I personally believe this might be Vince's best show with the band, and Jerry was tuned in for the entire run, so...

The first set is wonderful, and the tight jamming of the Let It Grow 1st set closer  hints at the  X-Factor fueled segue-fest to come.
Dark Star was a genuine surprise bundle of joy, perhaps in tribute to the large sign held up the 1st two nights with the year/month/day/hour since the last Philly Dark Star.
    Post space song selection this night was definitely the letdown of the entire run, but considering the preceding  heavy hitter  50+ minutes non stop  thru space that was such a rare occasion... well we just had something to look forward to the next night.

VA $l!m

notably:
post show of the 2nd nite instead of headin back down 95 to our hotee we went down to the huge hotel megaplex with the Denny's in teh middle of it, right south of philly.
one of the best post show scenes ever, aka Sodom and Gomorrah.
coming down from our trips late night someone decided to cop a bag of china white  :shakehead:
later in the room after those fateful 1st bumps i  sketched up the  setlists from the 1st 2 nites:

the final nite's list and doodle were added on the 15th apparently. :syf:

VA $l!m

indulge me...

20 years ago...
http://archive.org/details/gd93-09-14.dsbd.miller.28786.sbeok.flacf

9/14/93 - Grateful Dead
The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA

Recording Info:
SBD -> Master Dat (48k)

Transfer Info:
Dat (Sony 500) -> Behringer UltraMatch SRC2000 ->
SEK'D Prodif Plus -> Samplitude v7.02 Professional -> FLAC
(2 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC)

Transferred and Edited By Charlie Miller
charliemiller87@earthlink.net
3/27/05

Notes:
-- Seamless transition between discs.

Set 1:
d1t01 - Tuning
d1t02 - Help On The Way ->
d1t03 - Slipknot! ->
d1t04 - Franklin's Tower
d1t05 - New Minglewood Blues
d1t06 - Broken Arrow
d1t07 - Brown Eyed Women ->
d1t08 - When I Paint My Masterpiece
d1t09 - Bird Song

Set 2:
d1t10 - Tuning
d1t11 - Iko Iko
d1t12 - Looks Like Rain
d2t01 - Way To Go Home ->
d2t02 - Crazy Fingers ->
d2t03 - Corrina ->
d2t04 - Drums ->
d2t05 - Space ->
d2t06 - The Last Time ->
d2t07 - Wharf Rat ->
d2t08 - Sugar Magnolia

Encore:
d2t09 - Brokedown Palace

so, 3 for 3 in 93... not easy to come by in the Vince era, but ALL 3 shows were on point. It was all about Jerry being in a good space.

by Tues night the 'tourist' crowd was long gone; tickets were basically free; and HELp>SLIP>FRANK was a Lock.
this night i definitely remember eating some of the best acid i ever had.
We parked in the 'park' parking lot on the west side of the Spectrum...
i believe this was the day i grabbed a long sleeve, turquoise ribbed tie dye that became my best  friend... :-o

the show was bangin. i still have a good idea of how the Spectrum felt inside that night and it was wonderful.
Brokedown closed... and we all wondered out into the Philly lot tripping...tripping...
...the east side fenced in Nitrous lot seemed like an apocalyptic wasteland, and then the Gestapo moved in to clear the unwashed masses from the venue as quick as possible.
I wondered back to the Park and ended up on a swingset Peaking physically and spirtually,,,,up up up...

Spacce and Slomaar reappeared and as we gathered around the AEROSTAAR i asked: "OK, So who is Tripping the LEAST?"
it was me.  :-D

and into the night>>down I-95, ::TRIPPING ballz:: i drove.
As space and slomar fell around teh back of the minivan i played bootlegs to keep me awake, but whenever the music picked up i would speed and whenever it mellowed i would slow down... basically going between 5-105mph on the Jersey turnpike.
eventually i had to give it a rest and Demanded an exit!! :crazy:
unfortunately we somehow found one of those exits that didnt have a re-entrance to the freeway, lol
:clap:

so... about 3am or so slim and friends ended up 'winging it' across the Jersey/PA countryside looking for the highway...

Jace cut me a breather eventually and got us back on the road to Richmond... by the time we passed FRED-burg i think we thought we had it in the bag and cut off for one final break at the last rest stop b4 Richmond about the time the sun was coming up.
Randomly a Richmond kid we knew was at the same stop and he just happned to have a nitrous tank that needed to be drained, so... we got spun one last time before heading back into reality...
but that wasnt the end for SL!m...

i dropped Space and Slomar back home and stopped by a friends apt in Rich. to crash for the night before heading back to Williamsburg.
the next morning my buds took off for work and i waked and baked with their roomate before heading out...

so, obviously i was still Mega-spun from the shows and i remember being in super high spirits...
then somehow this dude i barely knew,  but was old friends with my good friends, told me he needed a 'ride out of town'  :?
from what i recall he told me something along the lines of there was a warrant out for his arrest and the cops would be snaggin him up from some 'drug-related' offense or whatever.
  Being completely on could nine/; ' i love everyone', etc, i was like: "dude, i'm headed out of town and i'll get you outta dodge no problemo"

cut to a few hours later and this person and me end up at my dorm room in williamsburg...
seriously at the time everything seemed KOSHER... i think we even hit a party of my friends up and perhaps that was when i discovered this dude's face was on the fucking news... ((been so long, details shady)), but once we were back at my place i think he started to feed me lies and tell me he was really being hunted by the FBI, but he Never told me why.
   eventually things started to get real tense and he gave me a bunch of acid and smoke before he was gonna take off... i flushed the L, and smoked the smoke :smoke:
\about that time some Federal NINJAS  busted down my door and through the windows, lol. :samurai:
dude had dashed into the closet  :roll:  but the jig was up.

i had no fucking idea wTF was going on... still spun from the Philly run by a mile, lol.
next day my buds call my from RIChmond and tell me they had been the ones to rat the dude out and direct them in my direction to find him...
apparently this guy had been a child molester for years and noone knew. it was a really fucking sad scene and i was apparently charged with aiding and abbeting a federal fugitive b/c this guy had done this horrible shit while biking cross country.
they let me off since i was clearly clueless and had basically just given this guy a ride without knowing anything he had done.

and that's how the story ends kids. :-) :syf:

mistercharlie

That was a helluva run for you, Slim! Great stories all around.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.