News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 27, 2013, 01:26:53 PM
  10/27/1994
University Hall, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA

Set 1: Wilson, Sparkle, Maze, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird -> The Vibration of Life -> Fly Famous Mockingbird > Divided Sky[1], The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Poor Heart, Cavern

Set 2: Julius, Ya Mar, Tweezer > Contact > Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Down with Disease, Sweet Adeline

Encore: Slave to the Traffic Light -> Icculus, Tweezer Reprise[2]

[1] All Fall Down signal.
[2] Extended ending.

Notes: Divided Sky contained an All Fall Down signal. Miscommunication within the student-run venue staff led to a premature signaling for the second set to end. Following an extended break to "discuss" the matter with staff, the band returned for an unusually long encore. Tweezer Reprise featured an atypical extended ending.

one of my favorites.
:phish:
Did you go?

mistercharlie

10/27/1994

Set 1: Wilson, Sparkle, Maze, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird -> The Vibration of Life -> Fly Famous Mockingbird > Divided Sky[1], The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Poor Heart, Cavern

Set 2: Julius, Ya Mar, Tweezer > Contact > Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Down with Disease, Sweet Adeline

[2] Extended ending.

Notes: Divided Sky contained an All Fall Down signal. Miscommunication within the student-run venue staff led to a premature signaling for the second set to end. Following an extended break to "discuss" the matter with staff, the band returned for an unusually long encore. Tweezer Reprise featured an atypical extended ending.

one of my favorites.

My day so far...
Cup of coffee -> Wake n' Bake -> listen to this Tweezer/make breakfast -> eat breakfast --> re-wake n' bake/sit on the couch and play Batman Arkham Origins.

This is going to be a good day!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

emay

:frustrated:

and here i am sitting in an office doing work

VA $l!m

Quote from: khalpin on October 28, 2013, 07:27:16 AM
  10/27/1994

[2] Extended ending.

one of my favorites.
Did you go?

yes, my 4th show.
pretty much the show that sold me.
think it was the smallest venue i saw them at besides the Roseland show in '00.
very intimate, i remember being able to walk from one side to the other in a minute or two.
i also remember a large % of the crowd being UVA students and Phish virgins, but also  seemingly  a lot  them were dosed on the good L that was circulating. with a bunch of Gamehenge  played there were Def. a bunch of freaked out preppies, lol.

just finished listening through today, man i love this show, so many 'lil gems.

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

VA $l!m

i thought it was interesting, still discussing the 10-27-94 show, after reading this snippet from  RJ's Hampton blog:
It's easy to look back at Fall '94 and complain that Phish isn't playing thirty minute versions of "David Bowie" every night. The problem is that Phish didn't do that every night when it was Fall '94 and that came after many years of regular shows and rehearsals.

--that i was thinking something similar when looking at the timings for this Fall 94 show.
longest song was Divided Sky @ 16:15, the Tweezer was 12:14, and the DWD>adeline was 11:55.

funny how i could see someone bitching about those song lengths being too short if played in 3.0, but how they were absolute perfect lengths IMO for fall 94.
hmmmm...
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

birdman

My first phish show is old enough to drink today.
21 years. Damn.
Paug FTMFW!

DoW

Quote from: birdman on October 30, 2013, 03:11:23 PM
21 years. Damn.
you're old, but have a drink in celebration tonight anyway.  hopefully a double celebration by night's end for you.  :beers:

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 30, 2013, 12:57:39 PM
i thought it was interesting, still discussing the 10-27-94 show, after reading this snippet from  RJ's Hampton blog:
It’s easy to look back at Fall ’94 and complain that Phish isn’t playing thirty minute versions of “David Bowie” every night. The problem is that Phish didn’t do that every night when it was Fall ’94 and that came after many years of regular shows and rehearsals.

--that i was thinking something similar when looking at the timings for this Fall 94 show.
longest song was Divided Sky @ 16:15, the Tweezer was 12:14, and the DWD>adeline was 11:55.

funny how i could see someone bitching about those song lengths being too short if played in 3.0, but how they were absolute perfect lengths IMO for fall 94.
hmmmm...
I agree to a point.
it is more about the quality of what they play, as opposed to the repeats and the length of jams.  the creativity is vastly different now.

I didn't really feel like anything was ripcorded this past weekend.  I remmeber thinking at hartford that the tweezer actually ended at the perfect time.  2001 was even a bit more extended than the typical 3.0 2001.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: birdman on October 30, 2013, 03:11:23 PM
21 years. Damn.

Happy anniversary dude!!!  :beers:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VDB

Quote from: DoW on October 30, 2013, 03:21:15 PM
it is more about the quality of what they play, as opposed to the repeats and the length of jams.  the creativity is vastly different now.

Right. The creativity was so dense in, say, 93-95 that they could do a lot inside of 12 minutes. 12/14/95 Halley's anyone?

It's fair to say that, as a very general rule of thumb, the longer the jam is, the more likely it is to contain unique, inventive playing. Hence why people clamor for long jams and are disappointed when they aren't longer. Also, there have been far too many instances of jams petering out or getting ripcorded when you know it could have kept going and gotten better.

But in fairness to the band, there have also been lots of examples in the 3.0 era of them packing a lot of ideas into shorter jams, and of not noodling around for minutes on end before getting to the good stuff.

On balance, though, given that their playing isn't as consistently fiery and punchy as it was 20 years ago, and given that they often tend to showcase an open, patient, expansive jamming style, jam lengths remain a decent proxy for potential quality in this era.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Yeah we've all heard the "duration of the jam is not the only thing" and that's certainly a part of what I'm driving at.

I'm just pleased to know that at least one person made it to the end of that post.

Augustus

For me, it's the stagnation.
09-13. 5 years of "basically" the same show and interchangeable setlists.
Let's take a five year period from sayyyyyyyy '93-'97.
EACH year was a drastic change fom the last.
3.0 is just one big lump of Wolfman's.

mbw

Quote from: Augustus on October 30, 2013, 06:49:41 PM

nailed it.  now the years are defined by how whale-y they were or weren't.
one album worth of new material in 5 years by a guy/band that used to be prolific writers.

shows are fun, however.   :angel:

DoW

Quote from: mbw on October 30, 2013, 07:17:26 PM
Quote from: Augustus on October 30, 2013, 06:49:41 PM

nailed it.  now the years are defined by how whale-y they were or weren't.
one album worth of new material in 5 years by a guy/band that used to be prolific writers.

shows are fun, however.   :angel:
you guys are haters.  the 300th possum in 3.0, they changed drummers.  they didn't do that in fall of '94.

we're all agreeing I think.  just making different points.
the reason I liked 10/25 was them throwing in some non-standard 3.0 songs.  the jams weren't long, but I still liked the show a lot.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

anthrax

nothing earth shattering here, just a fun late 90's phish show.  haven't listened back to this one much over the years.  i may put it on tonight.

Saturday, 11/14/1998
The Crown, Cincinnati, OH
Set 1: Funky Bitch > My Soul, Reba, Bouncing Around the Room, Tweezer > The Moma Dance > Sparkle > Character Zero
Set 2: David Bowie, Something, Piper, Golgi Apparatus, Guyute, Hold Your Head Up > Sexual Healing > Hold Your Head Up, You Enjoy Myself, Julius, Hello My Baby
Encore: So Lonely[1] > Tweezer Reprise
[1] Phish debut.

Buffalo Budd

Are there any lucky Paugers that were in attendance for this scorcher?

Tuesday, 11/14/1995
University of Central Florida Arena, Orlando, FL
Soundcheck: Billy Breathes Intro, Billy Breathes, Poor Heart (slow version), Funky Bitch
Set 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Foam, Billy Breathes, Divided Sky, Esther > Free, Julius, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[1], Cavern
Set 2: Maze, Gumbo, Stash -> Manteca -> Stash -> Dog Faced Boy[2] -> Stash, Strange Design, You Enjoy Myself -> Immigrant Song Jam -> You Enjoy Myself
Encore: The Wedge, Rocky Top
[1] Acoustic.
[2] Performed over a different arrangement than usual.
Teases:
· 25 or 6 to 4, Esther, and Ya Mar teases in Stash
· Low Rider tease in You Enjoy Myself
Notes: I'm Blue I'm Lonesome was performed acoustic. This fantastic Stash included 25 or 6 to 4, Esther, and Ya Mar teases. Dog Faced Boy was performed over a different arrangement than usual. YEM included Low Rider teases. This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.