News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12, 13, 20 years ago we were .....

Started by lifeboy13, July 23, 2011, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

saw two shows on this date...

after a highly anticipated champaign show that i walked to the week before, i was left unfulfilled and wanting more.  we made the trip down to st. louis and were treated to this little gem...i loved this show...

Friday, 11/15/1996 Kiel Center, St. Louis, MO
Set 1: Wilson > Divided Sky, Bouncing Around the Room, Character Zero, Punch You In the Eye > Prince Caspian, Ginseng Sullivan, Train Song, Chalk Dust Torture, Taste > Cavern
Set 2: Makisupa Policeman -> Maze, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > Split Open and Melt, The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own > Mike's Song, Sleeping Monkey > Mean Mr. Mustard[1] > Weekapaug Groove[2]
Encore: Funky Bitch[2]
[1] Phish debut.
[2] John Popper on harmonica.
Notes: Mimi Fishman addressed the crowd before the show and noted that the band was donating a portion of the proceeds from the show to charity. After Sleeping Monkey, Trey announced that the show was brought to you by the letter M (referencing all the second-set songs with "M"-titles) and the number 420. This show marked the Phish debut of Mean Mr. Mustard, complete with a John Popper (cloaked in a cape and hobbling with a cane to the roar of the audience) cameo as the "dirty old man." Popper stayed on stage to lend his harmonica to a very short Weekapaug closer and Funky Bitch encore.

...and we did this one after cincinnati in '98.  it felt like a high school gym compared to the massive crown arena.  after the show, we drove all the way back home to champaign.  there wasn't much in the way of city lights on the drive, so the annual leonid meteor shower kept us going all night long.  i still remember it vividly...

Sunday, 11/15/1998
Murphy Center, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN
Set 1: My Friend, My Friend, Ghost, Driver[1], Scent of a Mule, Cavern, Limb By Limb, Roggae, La Grange
Set 2: Runaway Jim > Stash, Mike's Song > Simple > Wading in the Velvet Sea > Loving Cup > Weekapaug Groove
Encore: Rocky Top
[1] Trey on acoustic guitar.
Notes: Driver featured Trey on acoustic guitar.

birdman

I was at the Keil center show as well. Stayed with some friends outside the city that night.
That weekapaug ripped.
Paug FTMFW!

Marmar

19 Years ago today I was in Dayton, Ohio.....ahhhhhh......probably the second longest encore I've seen (first being 12-30-97 MSG)

QuoteSet 1: Helter Skelter[1], Scent of a Mule, Maze, Bouncing Around the Room, Wilson > Divided Sky, Dog Faced Boy, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird -> The Vibration of Life -> Fly Famous Mockingbird > Down with Disease

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > David Bowie, Sleeping Monkey > Sparkle > You Enjoy Myself -> Hold Your Head Up[2] -> Love You > Hold Your Head Up > Slave to the Traffic Light, Golgi Apparatus

Encore: I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[3], Nellie Kane[3], My Long Journey Home[4], To France[5] -> Fixin' to Die[6]

[1] Ended with band singing "I've got blisters on my fingers" a cappella to the tune of Back In My Hometown.
[2] Vocal Jam.
[3] Acoustic.
[4] Acoustic; "Reverend" Jeff Mosier on spoons.
[5] Phish debut; "Reverend" Jeff Mosier on banjo.
[6] Phish debut; "Reverend" Jeff Mosier on banjo and lead vocals.

Teases:
· Wipe Out tease in The Vibration of Life
· To France tease in Also Sprach Zarathustra
· Frankenstein tease in You Enjoy Myself
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

McGrupp

Quote from: Marmar on November 17, 2013, 10:20:52 AM
19 Years ago today I was in Dayton, Ohio.....ahhhhhh......probably the second longest encore I've seen (first being 12-30-97 MSG)

QuoteSet 1: Helter Skelter[1], Scent of a Mule, Maze, Bouncing Around the Room, Wilson > Divided Sky, Dog Faced Boy, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird -> The Vibration of Life -> Fly Famous Mockingbird > Down with Disease

Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > David Bowie, Sleeping Monkey > Sparkle > You Enjoy Myself -> Hold Your Head Up[2] -> Love You > Hold Your Head Up > Slave to the Traffic Light, Golgi Apparatus

Encore: I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[3], Nellie Kane[3], My Long Journey Home[4], To France[5] -> Fixin' to Die[6]

[1] Ended with band singing "I've got blisters on my fingers" a cappella to the tune of Back In My Hometown.
[2] Vocal Jam.
[3] Acoustic.
[4] Acoustic; "Reverend" Jeff Mosier on spoons.
[5] Phish debut; "Reverend" Jeff Mosier on banjo.
[6] Phish debut; "Reverend" Jeff Mosier on banjo and lead vocals.

Teases:
· Wipe Out tease in The Vibration of Life
· To France tease in Also Sprach Zarathustra
· Frankenstein tease in You Enjoy Myself

I love that show. Just tweeted about it.

I like to think of that encore as more of a 3rd set... ridic.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

VA $l!m

20 years since i saw JGB in RIchmond Va @ the Richmond Coliseum.
it was the 1st time they let Jerry or the Dead play since banned after the 85 shows.
it was also the 2nd to last East coast JGB show played, with the Shinning Star Hampton show the next night.
Was a special time seeing Jerry in my home town, and Dixie Down was a treat. :syf:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

barnesy305

Quote from: VA $l!m on November 18, 2013, 06:47:30 PM
it was the 1st time they let Jerry or the Dead play since banned after the 85 shows.
it was also the 2nd to last East coast JGB show played, with the Shinning Star Hampton show the next night.
Was a special time seeing Jerry in my home town, and Dixie Down was a treat. :syf:

The impact of these two shows on my life cannot be overstated, or even fully put into words.

McGrupp

Quote from: barnesy305 on November 18, 2013, 07:02:30 PM

The impact of these two shows on my life cannot be overstated, or even fully put into words.

looks tasty dude

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

barnesy305

Quote from: McGrupp on November 18, 2013, 07:50:58 PM

looks tasty dude

The tastiest brah.

rowjimmy

Quote from: barnesy305 on November 18, 2013, 08:04:08 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on November 18, 2013, 07:50:58 PM

looks tasty dude

The tastiest brah.

Hampton was beyond beyond.
I can't believe Tuesday marks twenty years.

shamwow

15 years ago yesterday. I remember driving down to the show after work from sugarbush. Parked and ran thru some park to the spot I set with my sister the week before. Finally found her and she pushed what looked like a five strip in my mouth. It had purple swirls almost tie-dyed. Then we rushed in. Show was an inferno to say the least. Just fantastic. Top five for me.
centrum Centre • Worcester , MA
Set 1: Funky Bitch, Ya Mar, Carini, Runaway Jim, Meat, Reba, Old Home Place, Dogs Stole Things, Vultures, When the Circus Comes to Town, Birds of a Feather
Set 2: Buried Alive, Wipeout, Chalkdust Torture > Mirror in the Bathroom > Chalkdust Torture > Dog Log > Sanity, Buffalo Bill, Mike's Song > I am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Run Like An Antelope
Encore: Wading in the Velvet Sea, Golgi Apparatus > Wipeout

www.phishtracks.com/shows/1997-08-16
"If your gonna run up on the stage..."

McGrupp

birdman

Flew home from skiing with my bro at vail to see that centrum show. Easily my favorite show post '97.
Paug FTMFW!

Augustus

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Mr. Natural

I was living in the Fan and walked the lot for a little while with a friend. I remember cops sitting by for a while, just watching people set up their shops, then busting everybody all at once for license-less vending.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit