News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillBreathes

... and did anyone notice the rating for Arrested Development is bananas instead of stars?  Pretty funny.
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

Mr. Natural

Really interesting, funny, well-paced, well-put together. JB's dad had some health problems (stroke? they don't know) and he requires care. Jim takes him on the road for one of his tours, as his caretaker when he's offstage. A really cool peek into eldercare and handling the increasing dependence of (instead of on) one's parent. They have good talks, bad talks, jokes, cursing, shitastrophes. And the guy's old school - a WWII vet. "Aw go shit in your bonnet."
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

Mr. Natural

"This documentary follows a group of European former hippies who relocated to India 40 years ago and never returned home. Once idealistic flower children, the now aging baby-boomers turned to the East in search of spiritual meaning, and many of them found what they were looking for, though in far different ways than they anticipated."

Narrative-wise, there aren't too many surprises here. Fortunately, it's subject matter I tend to find interesting (India, spiritual seekers, shunning conventionality, etc.)  The reason I recommend it is for the cinematography, which is superb. Goat-farming in the rain sounds a bit drab, but watching it put to film here is pretty stimulating. A treat for the eyes & ears, if not the intellect.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

PIE-GUY

not on netflix, but available for streaming from itunes or amazon for about $4....

Beware of Mr. Baker

I saw the world premier of this at SXSW 2012. It is amazing! Here's my review from seeing it then:

The synopsis:

QuoteGinger Baker is known for playing in Cream and Blind Faith, but the world's greatest drummer didn't hit his stride until 1972, when he arrived in Nigeria and discovered Fela Kuti's Afrobeat. After leaving Nigeria, Ginger returned to his pattern of drug-induced self-destruction, and countless groundbreaking musical works, eventually settling in South Africa, where the 73-year-old lives with his young bride and 39 polo ponies. This documentary includes interviews with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Carlos Santana and more. Beware of Mr. Baker! With every smash of the drum is a man smashing his way through life.   

I was blown away by this film. The director bullshitted his way into Baker's life and lived with him in South Africa for months to get it made. He wasn't a filmmaker going in. He had no idea what he was doing. He came away with a brilliant film and great narrative. He used animation at times to bring certain themes home... None of it was overbearing or cheesy. It was really good.

The film is a fairly straightforward biography told chronologically. Lots of footage from all of Baker's musical projects and mostly based on interviews done in his living room while the director lived with him. Interviews with all the major players in his life including all 4 wives, his kids, his bandmates, etc.

The director, producers, and key crew people were there for questions and answers afterward. This was the world premier, so we were the first audience to see it. The director was clearly not used to the attention. He was nervous talking in front of the crowd. His mom was there as were clearly a few dozen of his friends.

The producer did mention that they still don't have a signed release from Baker to release the film.  Let's hope that happens soon. This film needs to be seen. 

I give it 4 stars.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 21, 2013, 11:25:52 AM
Quote from: PG on June 21, 2013, 10:38:06 AM
not on netflix

:police: WRONG THREAD :police:

netflix sux. I mean, I pay them whatever per month for streaming and they don't have shit.

rowjimmy

Quote from: PG on June 21, 2013, 11:27:14 AM
not on netflix

netflix sux. I mean, I pay them whatever per month for streaming and they don't have shit.

You're not looking hard enough.
I'm always able to find something.

If all else fails I just watch more Doctor Who.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 21, 2013, 11:58:28 AM
not on netflix

what pisses me off is the things they have for while that just go away - we got a season and a half into Newsradio (a great fucking show... RIP Phil Hartman) and then it was just suddenly gone. Fuck that shit!

rowjimmy

Quote from: PG on June 21, 2013, 12:05:51 PM
not on netflix

what pisses me off is the things they have for while that just go away - we got a season and a half into Newsradio (a great fucking show... RIP Phil Hartman) and then it was just suddenly gone. Fuck that shit!

Contracts expire.

sophist

Streaming TV shows on netflix is just like cocaine, you keep doing it until you run out of it, otherwise you're doing it wrong (and getting sleep which you don't really need because you should be doing cocaine with your netflix)
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 21, 2013, 12:13:52 PM
not on netflix

Contracts expire.

only because netflix is too cheap to renew. their business would be more successful if they went out of their way to provide the best content available at a reasonable cost. I'd pay a few dollars more per month if they would stop pussyfooting around their contracts and just shell out the cash necessary to provide the best content.

Fuck that shit!

rowjimmy

Quote from: PG on June 21, 2013, 12:18:49 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 21, 2013, 12:13:52 PM
not on netflix

Contracts expire.

only because netflix is too cheap to renew. their business would be more successful if they went out of their way to provide the best content available at a reasonable cost. I'd pay a few dollars more per month if they would stop pussyfooting around their contracts and just shell out the cash necessary to provide the best content.

Fuck that shit!

Consider that many content providers are negotiating with the competition when they deal with Netflix. Have a look at the partnerships that created Hulu and you'll be less surprised that the cost of content isn't always easy for them to drive down.

Hicks

And sometimes the licenses aren't for sale at any price.  i.e.  HBO original content. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on June 21, 2013, 01:01:32 PM
And sometimes the licenses aren't for sale at any price.  i.e.  HBO original content.

Exactly.

PIE-GUY

I don't know why you're getting defensive about this. I understand the contract negotiations and such... But it's simply bad customer service to have something one week and have it gone the next.... And they have gone From being a company with stellar customer service (I was an early adopter) to one where the customer comes last.