News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Natural

Spalding Gray biopic AND EVERYTHING IS GOING FINE

The master monologuist's life, chronologically told in his own words from performances and interviews. If you don't know who he is, watch SWIMMING TO CAMBODIA - http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7b1_1344978267. All of his major themes are here, although Demme shies away from his more graphically prescient thoughts on his own death (there is no mention of drowning here, although he mentioned it half the time he discussed suicide, which he did often). I was also kind of hoping they would have included more video footage of the Wooster Group, in which he acted alongside amateur Willem Dafoe and Gary Sinise, but there was only stills. No biggie, though. The whole thing is very interesting.
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

justjezmund

Just signed up for this again recently and discovered a movie a loved about 5 years ago named "primer".

a more "realistic" type of time travel movie, if you could put realistic and time travel in the same statement. 

Anyway if you like indie movies and time travel, check out "primer".
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

aphineday

Quote from: JustJezmund on August 08, 2013, 01:13:33 AM
Just signed up for this again recently and discovered a movie a loved about 5 years ago named "primer".

a more "realistic" type of time travel movie, if you could put realistic and time travel in the same statement. 

I've seen this movie 5+ times.
Really great, and you can't casually watch it - you have to give it your full attention.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

cactusfan

as enjoyable as Primer is, Shane Carruth's new movie, Upstream Color, is far more accomplished. it's incredible. best movie i've seen in a long time.

i wrote about here, if you're interested:
http://www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2013/02/upstream-color-will-crawl-inside-you-and-take-over-your-brain/

it's one hell of a strange and beautiful movie.

aphineday

Quote from: cactusfan on August 08, 2013, 12:07:57 PM

as enjoyable as Primer is, Shane Carruth's new movie, Upstream Color, is far more accomplished. it's incredible. best movie i've seen in a long time.

http://www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2013/02/upstream-color-will-crawl-inside-you-and-take-over-your-brain/

Excellent, sounds great.
Is it on Netflix?

cactusfan

Quote from: aphineday on August 08, 2013, 02:25:00 PM

Excellent, sounds great.
Is it on Netflix?

certainly on dvd/bluray. don't know if it's streaming. but of course netflix's streaming options are for shit.

justjezmund

Quote from: cactusfan on August 08, 2013, 02:55:08 PM
Quote from: aphineday on August 08, 2013, 02:25:00 PM

Excellent, sounds great.
Is it on Netflix?

certainly on dvd/bluray. don't know if it's streaming. but of course netflix's streaming options are for shit.

"Crawls inside and takes over your brain". Sounds awesome, will check out.

westcider

If you're into "so bad it's good", like "so so so so fucking bad you literally can't stop laughing", it's hard to top The Disco Godfather or Miami Connection

aphineday

Quote from: westcider on August 24, 2013, 05:08:29 PM
If you're into "so bad it's good", like "so so so so fucking bad you literally can't stop laughing", it's hard to top The Disco Godfather or Miami Connection
Just the names make me LOL when viewed in that context. Will check out.

susep

its been in my Q for some time, finally watched it tonight.  decent, insightful, like most documentaries.  excellent music. 

justjezmund

Pretty cool DOC on the NYC nightclub.  Wish I could have experienced this spot. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 18, 2013, 09:58:03 AM

Pretty cool DOC on the NYC nightclub.  Wish I could have experienced this spot.

Shit.
Gotta watch that.

emay

Quote from: JustJezmund on September 18, 2013, 09:58:03 AM

Pretty cool DOC on the NYC nightclub. 

sickk! gotta watch this and yeah "Wish I could have experienced this spot." 

justjezmund

Holy shit there is literally a part in this with Bob Weir doing "one more Saturday Night" with Hanson.   :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

This shit you find on netflix.

ytowndan

I finally decided to check out Orange is the New Black.  I've only seen the first episode so far, but I'm diggin' it.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.