News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

Quote from: WillBreathes on May 30, 2014, 09:56:44 AM
Kill Bill 1&2
fun to revisit.

Watched these recently as well. Definitely prefer Vol. 1.
Is this still Wombat?

WillBreathes

Only thing volume 1 lacked was this guy:

tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

khalpin

Quote from: PG on June 21, 2013, 10:38:06 AM
not on netflix, but available for streaming from itunes or amazon for about $4....

Beware of Mr. Baker

I saw the world premier of this at SXSW 2012. It is amazing! Here's my review from seeing it then:

The synopsis:

QuoteGinger Baker is known for playing in Cream and Blind Faith, but the world's greatest drummer didn't hit his stride until 1972, when he arrived in Nigeria and discovered Fela Kuti's Afrobeat. After leaving Nigeria, Ginger returned to his pattern of drug-induced self-destruction, and countless groundbreaking musical works, eventually settling in South Africa, where the 73-year-old lives with his young bride and 39 polo ponies. This documentary includes interviews with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Carlos Santana and more. Beware of Mr. Baker! With every smash of the drum is a man smashing his way through life.   

I was blown away by this film. The director bullshitted his way into Baker's life and lived with him in South Africa for months to get it made. He wasn't a filmmaker going in. He had no idea what he was doing. He came away with a brilliant film and great narrative. He used animation at times to bring certain themes home... None of it was overbearing or cheesy. It was really good.

The film is a fairly straightforward biography told chronologically. Lots of footage from all of Baker's musical projects and mostly based on interviews done in his living room while the director lived with him. Interviews with all the major players in his life including all 4 wives, his kids, his bandmates, etc.

The director, producers, and key crew people were there for questions and answers afterward. This was the world premier, so we were the first audience to see it. The director was clearly not used to the attention. He was nervous talking in front of the crowd. His mom was there as were clearly a few dozen of his friends.

The producer did mention that they still don't have a signed release from Baker to release the film.  Let's hope that happens soon. This film needs to be seen. 

I give it 4 stars.

Just saw that this one is available for streaming on Netflix now.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

VDB

Watched the first episode of House of Cards last night. Enjoyed it. I think the show would be just as good if he didn't talk to the camera, but it's fine.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Three episodes into HoC. I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would. Rep. Underwood is a master manipulator; great fun to watch.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but The Fall is a pretty sweet show.
a netflix original, originally just shown in Europe I believe.
About a serial killer in Belfast and the police tracking him.

3 episodes in and its good stuff.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: mbw on July 25, 2014, 05:28:33 PM

Been wondering, I'll check it out, thanks.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

khalpin

Quote from: mbw on July 25, 2014, 05:28:33 PM

Thanks for the rec.  At first I thought you were referring to the movie "The Fall" from 2006, which I absolutely loved.  Very unique.  Not available streaming, though.

mbw

It will give you ser blue balls as its only one season so far and there are only 5 episodes.

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: mbw on July 26, 2014, 09:35:40 AM
It will give you ser blue balls as its only one season so far and there are only 5 episodes.

Terrible blue balls. WTF? How does a show get commissioned for 5 eps? Amateur hour.
Liked it though. Phone convo at the end had torsion.

Kind of in between The Killing (AMC) and Epitafios (HBO Latin America).
I won't go into Epitafios too much since it is HBO and this is a Netflix thread, but if this weren't a Netflix thread, I would highly recommend Epitafios even though subtitles are a necessity unless you speak conversational Spanish. At any rate, since this is a Netflix thread, I will quickly finish by saying Epitafios goes even further than The Fall in terms of arc, brutality, direction, torsion, and it has more than 5 eps. Even a second season. But this is a Netflix thread, so.....

Thanks for the rec, hope they renew, thanks again, Epitafios.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

susep

if you love hip-hop you will like this documentary.  I'm not a big Kanye West fan per se, to be honest I haven't heard any of his music however his impromptu rhyme had me grinning, good stuff.  check it out, directed by Ice-T.   

mbw

Quote from: susep on August 03, 2014, 12:07:51 PM

if you love hip-hop you will like this documentary.  I'm not a big Kanye West fan per se, to be honest I haven't heard any of his music however his impromptu rhyme had me grinning, good stuff.  check it out, directed by Ice-T.

can't see the pic, so i don't know what movie you are referring to.  i know you are a huge hip-hop/rap fan.  you should really check out some kanye albums.  two of my favs are his debut, The College Dropout and one of his last ones My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.  they are both brilliant.