News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Netflix Recommendation Thread

Started by McGrupp, June 22, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Quote from: khalpin on June 04, 2014, 12:04:43 PM
Quote from: PG on June 21, 2013, 10:38:06 AM
not on netflix, but available for streaming from itunes or amazon for about $4....

Beware of Mr. Baker

I saw the world premier of this at SXSW 2012. It is amazing! Here's my review from seeing it then:

The synopsis:

QuoteGinger Baker is known for playing in Cream and Blind Faith, but the world's greatest drummer didn't hit his stride until 1972, when he arrived in Nigeria and discovered Fela Kuti's Afrobeat. After leaving Nigeria, Ginger returned to his pattern of drug-induced self-destruction, and countless groundbreaking musical works, eventually settling in South Africa, where the 73-year-old lives with his young bride and 39 polo ponies. This documentary includes interviews with Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Carlos Santana and more. Beware of Mr. Baker! With every smash of the drum is a man smashing his way through life.   

I was blown away by this film. The director bullshitted his way into Baker's life and lived with him in South Africa for months to get it made. He wasn't a filmmaker going in. He had no idea what he was doing. He came away with a brilliant film and great narrative. He used animation at times to bring certain themes home... None of it was overbearing or cheesy. It was really good.

The film is a fairly straightforward biography told chronologically. Lots of footage from all of Baker's musical projects and mostly based on interviews done in his living room while the director lived with him. Interviews with all the major players in his life including all 4 wives, his kids, his bandmates, etc.

The director, producers, and key crew people were there for questions and answers afterward. This was the world premier, so we were the first audience to see it. The director was clearly not used to the attention. He was nervous talking in front of the crowd. His mom was there as were clearly a few dozen of his friends.

The producer did mention that they still don't have a signed release from Baker to release the film.  Let's hope that happens soon. This film needs to be seen. 

I give it 4 stars.

Just saw that this one is available for streaming on Netflix now.

saw this last night via Nf, excellent.  started looking for Graham Bond records today without success.  cool story.  it was nice to see him receive a standing ovation in Salzburg.  they know what's up. 

Mr. Natural

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

Hadn't seen this one yet. Wow. That was actually as good as everybody says it is.
Several times during the movie, I couldn't help but laugh "fuckin' Philadelphia, man."
We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

gah

Quote from: Mr. Natural on November 11, 2014, 10:16:52 PM
SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

Hadn't seen this one yet. Wow. That was actually as good as everybody says it is.
Several times during the movie, I couldn't help but laugh "fuckin' Philadelphia, man."

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard i thought the same
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Mr. Natural

VIDEO GAMES: THE MOVIE

A history of gaming. They have a timeline, which they go up and down along, as they examine different aspects of the tech & culture. Depending on your age, you'll probably nostalgically chuckle at several parts.

jedifunk

Quote from: Mr. Natural on November 13, 2014, 03:50:47 PM
VIDEO GAMES: THE MOVIE

A history of gaming. They have a timeline, which they go up and down along, as they examine different aspects of the tech & culture. Depending on your age, you'll probably nostalgically chuckle at several parts.

i found this movie "meh" at best... kind of childish, and didn't really tell me anything new
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

khalpin

Snowpiercer

If you're into Sci-Fi, check this one out.

emay

watched this movie "Clean Skin"
about terrorists in London.
Good action movie.

Also watched Burt's Buzz which is a documentary on Burt from Burts bees. It was good I guess

jedifunk

Inequality of all

very good, very informative, very interesting... very honest.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Mr. Natural

BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW

Watch this one with the lights off. It totally pulled me into its world. Freaky, creepy and entrancing.

WillBreathes

Pretty great Levon Helm documentary on there, Ain't In It For My Health.

And one persons journey to become a self made guru, Kumare.
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

Mr. Natural

New Bill Burr. Tons of great stuff. His bit on Donald Sterling (former owner of the LA Clippers) is classic Burr.

WillBreathes

Sorry is Black Mirror has already been mentioned...

but Black Mirror is very interesting.
tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

mistercharlie

Quote from: Mr. Natural on December 21, 2014, 11:11:58 PM
New Bill Burr. Tons of great stuff. His bit on Donald Sterling (former owner of the LA Clippers) is classic Burr.

I watched this today. Bill Burr is awesome.

Now we just need a new Louis CK special.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mistercharlie on January 06, 2015, 06:41:04 PM
Quote from: Mr. Natural on December 21, 2014, 11:11:58 PM

I watched this today. Bill Burr is awesome.

Now we just need a new Louis CK special.

Louis' writing is all headed to his show these days. Hence no new special in a while.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

An Idiot Abroad

A Ricky Gervais travel show where he sends his buddy Karl, who is kinda dopey and not adventurous at all, on trips to exotic places around the world.
The first season he goes to the wonders of the world, the second season he goes on bucket list type type trips.

It is pretty hilarious.