News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Looting as Reality TV

Started by nab, February 27, 2012, 11:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

So two new shows have come on to my radar over the last couple of days.

One on Spike TV:

http://www.spike.com/press/2012/02/15/spike-tv-hunts-for-buried-historical-treasures-in-new-original-series-american-digger/

QuoteNew York, NY, February 15, 2012 – Spike TV ventures around the country in search of historical treasure buried in the backyards of unsuspecting citizens in the new unscripted original series, "American Digger."  Premiering Wednesday, March 21 at 10:00 PM, ET/PT, "American Digger" follows the American Savage team, led by former professional wrestler-turned-modern- day relic hunter Ric Savage as they scour target-rich areas, such as battlefields and historic sites, in hopes of striking it rich by unearthing and selling rare pieces of American history.

In the US, there are millions of historical relics buried in backyards just waiting to be discovered and turned into profit.  "American Digger" hopes to claim a piece of that pie as the series travels to a different city each week, including Detroit, MI, Brooklyn, NY, Chicago, IL and Jamestown, VA searching for high-value artifacts and relics, some of which have been untouched for centuries.  After pinpointing historical locations such as Civil War and Revolutionary War battlefields, Savage's first task is to convince reluctant homeowners to let his team dig up their property using state-of-the-art metal detectors and heavy-duty excavation equipment.  The team will then sell any artifacts found for a substantial profit by consulting experts and scouring the antique and collectible markets, but not before negotiating a deal to divide the revenue with the property owners.

And another on the National Geographic Channel:

http://mtstandard.com/news/local/treasure-hunters---anacondans-get-tv-pilot/article_c050b7bc-5c6d-11e1-95a6-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=story

QuoteANACONDA - By itself, metal detecting may seem like a pretty dull spectator sport.

But, with Anaconda residents Tim Saylor and George Wyant in the field, treasure hunting just might catch on with television viewers.

The duo behind Anaconda Treasure.com and a number of self-produced "Extreme Metal Detecting" DVDs is now flirting with their own TV series on the art of uncovering buried gems.

Two half-hour pilot episodes of the show "Diggers" will premier back-to-back at 8 p.m. Feb. 28 on the National Geographic Channel, channel 276 on DirecTV or 165 on Optimum.

The channel is not part of most basic cable packages.

Team ATC, as Saylor and Wyant are known, not only travel across Montana but all around the country in search of historical artifacts lost beneath the surface.

Saylor, a software developer, and Wyant, who works at Montana Resources, first bonded over their interest in metal detecting several years ago.

Wyant bought a few instructional videos off the Internet, which they both found dry. They created a website and started filming their own trips to raise interest in the hobby, but let their personalities show through to make their videos more entertaining.

"It's something about when we get together. We egg each other on," Saylor said. "Nothing is off limits, and we push boundaries."

Silly skits and footage of actual finds helped "Extreme Metal Detecting" sell more than 1,000 copies over six volumes. When Saylor put a few compilations on YouTube, they caught the eye of more than a few

TV production companies.

Half Yard Productions, creators of "American Loggers" and "Modern Marvels," came to Anaconda to meet Team ATC early last year. They successfully pitched "Diggers" to National Geographic in July.

Most of the filming for these two episodes took place in September and October. The first episode is set in Montana and the second is set in South Carolina.

"For most treasure hunters, it's a dream come true," Saylor said. "They're flying us to places we might not ever have gone to."

While they do find some incredible things, what makes the show is their ability to keep it fun and funny, Wyant said.

"It's not about what we do, but how we do it," he said. "Were constantly making stupid bets and messing with each other."

The series is not guaranteed beyond these two episodes, though "King George" and "Ringmaster Tim" are hopeful Nat Geo decides to bring them back for a whole season - depending on how the pilots test with audiences.

"They're talking good things, and we're positive about it moving forward," Wyant said. "I don't want it to end. It's just created a life of its own."

As an archaeologist, my position on these shows should be self explanatory.  Archaeological resources are finite.  They should be approached with careful study in an attempt to enrich our understanding of the past, not as a conduit for personal financial gain.  That Spike TV should promote such a show is terrible, but unfortunately expected in the current reality based infotainment environment that constantly seeks more and salacious material.  That the National Geographic Channel (and by extension the National Geographic Society) would so callously promote the same end, is a much more egregious offense.

Way to trade in your scientific credibility for profit NGS.   :|     

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on February 27, 2012, 11:01:33 PM
As an archaeologist, my position on these shows should be self explanatory.  Archaeological resources are finite.  They should be approached with careful study in an attempt to enrich our understanding of the past, not as a conduit for personal financial gain.  That Spike TV should promote such a show is terrible, but unfortunately expected in the current reality based infotainment environment that constantly seeks more and salacious material.  That the National Geographic Channel (and by extension the National Geographic Society) would so callously promote the same end, is a much more egregious offense.

Way to trade in your scientific credibility for profit NGS.   :|   

I hadn't heard of these programs, but that's pretty disappointing.  As you mentioned, one may expect Spike to air a program like that, but for the NGS to have a channel that promotes a program like that is a shame.  As I'm sure you can imagine, paleontology deals with the same problem.  Many unique fossils, that could be the subject of groundbreaking study, are sitting on the mantle of some rich guy's fireplace, instead of being in the lab where they belong.  The state and federal governments do their part when dealing with public land, and I'd assume it's the same with archeological artifacts (I don't know, you tell me), but what more can they really do?  And then, when it comes to private land, should they even do anything?  I'm not too sure one way or another, but it's an interesting (and very controversial) topic. 

One thing that can be done, however, is to not promote such unethical practices on TV, much less on a network associated with The National Geographic Society. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.