News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Gun Talk Re: have you heard about...?

Started by emay, July 20, 2012, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

Quote from: EdBanky on January 31, 2013, 01:20:18 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 30, 2013, 07:20:05 PM

Also, I hope they throw the book at this goddamn punk.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/29/hyannis-5-year-old-threatened-with-suspension-for-making-gun-out-of-legos/

Hyannis 5-Year-Old Threatened With Suspension For Making Gun Out Of Legos

HYANNIS (CBS) – A mother says her 5-year-old boy was threatened with suspension after he made a gun out of Legos during an after school program.

Sheila Cruz received a written warning recently about her son from the after school staff at the Hyannis West Elementary School because he had been using toys inappropriately.

While Cruz thought her son Joseph Cardosa was just being a kid, she said school administrators called his actions a threat.

"I was given a book and they told me he's going to be suspended if he does it again and to sign here," Cruz told WBZ NewsRadio 1030 Tuesday. "I just couldn't believe it. He's 5-years-old."

Joseph's parents called the school principal but were given the same warning.

"'I said listen, he's a 5-year-old, I think maybe a redirection would be more appropriate. I understand what's going on with this whole thing in schools and everything else but couldn't they have given him a warning?' " Cruz said.
I was suspended from school for four days back in the 5th grade for having a homemade "pen-shooter". Basically this little contraption could shoot an ink cartridge about 5ft. It was actually a pretty fantastic deal. My parents were more angry with the school and I got 4 days off to watch Boy Meets World "Shawn goes on Tour".

You and Gumbo should totes hang out...
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

rowjimmy

mbw

Quote from: ytowndan on January 31, 2013, 01:05:51 AM
With all the shootings today, I think we forgot this one.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57566577/suspected-alabama-gunman-holed-up-with-boy-in-bunker-after-school-bus-shooting/

sorry to steal his thunder, but a 14 yrs old girl was shot in the head at school today in atlanta

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/31/breaking_shooting_at_an_atlanta_middle_school/

eta: the good news is the gunman was a horrible shot and the victim is doing fine.
probably could have done more damage with a spoon.
WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO, BAN ALL THE SPOONS?!?? :crazy:

sophist

That is about 10 minutes from where I work, and it's right by Lakewood Ampitheatre.  So fucked up. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Hicks

Quote from: mbw on January 31, 2013, 03:50:52 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on January 31, 2013, 01:05:51 AM
With all the shootings today, I think we forgot this one.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57566577/suspected-alabama-gunman-holed-up-with-boy-in-bunker-after-school-bus-shooting/

sorry to steal his thunder, but a 14 yrs old girl was shot in the head at school today in atlanta

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/31/breaking_shooting_at_an_atlanta_middle_school/

eta: the good news is the gunman was a horrible shot and the victim is doing fine.
probably could have done more damage with a spoon.
WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO, BAN ALL THE SPOONS?!?? :crazy:

Clearly there aren't enough guns in Alabama and Georgia, otherwise these incidents would have never happened.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mbw on January 31, 2013, 12:14:28 AM
i didn't shit on anyone.  obviously the lunatic thing was a joke, relax dude.  i forgot i was the first one to bring up metal illness in relation to gun violence.   :roll:

I realized you were joking. I too can use sarcasm (see my lunatic comment). My point was simply that gross generalizations have very little merit in the way of making good policy.

My wife was a special ed teacher and she had several kids with Aspergers. She's kept in touch with a couple of the parents of these kids and they were none too pleased that their child was basically being painted as a serial killer when it was speculated that Adam Lanza may have had it (I don't know if that was ever proved or just something the media read on Twitter and ran with it). I agree, we should have more of a discussion on helping people with mental illness in this country, but not because they are an inherent danger to society.

I found this topical today: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/01/31/mental-health-gun-violence_n_2583986.html?utm_hp_ref=business

I was suspended from school for four days back in the 5th grade for having a homemade "pen-shooter". Basically this little contraption could shoot an ink cartridge about 5ft. It was actually a pretty fantastic deal. My parents were more angry with the school and I got 4 days off to watch Boy Meets World "Shawn goes on Tour".

You must be much younger than me: teachers used to laugh at us when we would shoot those things at each other at recess.

Quote from: Hicks on January 31, 2013, 05:43:53 PM
Clearly there aren't enough guns in Alabama and Georgia, otherwise these incidents would have never happened.

That's funny. Hey by the way, why wasn't this shooting more deadly?
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mbw

Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 31, 2013, 08:01:03 PM

dunno, pretty hard to tell from that vague headline.
did the security guard blow the kid away or something?
is there an anti-security guard contingent i'm not aware of?

Buffalo Budd

Not sure if everyone remembers the multiple lead refill pencils with a separate sharpened lead that pushed the next one up.
My friends and I used to use those as blow guns, shooting those damn things at eachother.  I don't remember even getting in troruble for that shit.
Old man'd  :shakehead:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

re: kids getting in trouble for innocent gun-esque play

its so absurd that some school administrators get a little jumpy right after 20 little kids get holes blown through them.
relax folks, no biggie!

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mbw on January 31, 2013, 08:19:23 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on January 31, 2013, 08:01:03 PM

dunno, pretty hard to tell from that vague headline.
did the security guard blow the kid away or something?
is there an anti-security guard contingent i'm not aware of?

I guess my point is if you guys want to belittle the other side with strawmen, you might not want to use cases where their stated position (in this case putting armed guards in schools) could be strengthened by the incident in question. The NRA will hold this up as a model for how to keep our children safe. I understand that is incomprehensible to you, but it might not be to millions of parents who see two vastly different outcomes between two unspeakable tragedies.

Quote from: mbw on January 31, 2013, 08:29:00 PM
re: kids getting in trouble for innocent gun-esque play

its so absurd that some school administrators get a little jumpy right after 20 little kids get holes blown through them.
relax folks, no biggie!

LOL @ suspending 5-6 yr olds as "a little jumpy"

But hey, what harm has ever come from a little irrational, fear-based policy? Nope, nothing ever wrong with that. Ever.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

kellerb

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on January 31, 2013, 08:22:21 PM

Not sure if everyone remembers the multiple lead refill pencils with a separate sharpened lead that pushed the next one up.
My friends and I used to use those as blow guns, shooting those damn things at eachother.  I don't remember even getting in troruble for that shit.

heh, I totally remember those, and doing that.

They sucked as pencils, and were only slightly better as blow-guns/spit-wad-cannons

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: kellerb on January 31, 2013, 10:02:49 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on January 31, 2013, 08:22:21 PM

heh, I totally remember those, and doing that.

They sucked as pencils, and were only slightly better as blow-guns/spit-wad-cannons

Bic pens worked well too.  But yeah those pencils were awesome!

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D