News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: Bobafett on October 26, 2018, 10:59:28 AM
My girlfriend thinks I have a problem with cod and fortnights.   Just what our relationship needs.  Will buy!

I get so little time playing on our xbox– my son has control of it during the day on weekends, no one plays during the week– that I basically won't play Fortnight on it because you spend all of your time waiting. SWBattlefront has the same problem. I spend half of the time loading...
Fuck that.
I'll still play Fortnight on my phone (I'm better at it there, & regularly win) but when I do fire up the xbox myself, I want that time to be well spent– playing.

This looks like it does that.

Might be a little too real/bloody for Emmet, tho.

Too bad, kid.

tet

I took a good part of the day off to play RDR2 and it's everything Slim says and more...  just a masterpiece so far, and I'm only now starting to explore a little beyond Valentine.  Crazy crazy crazy how good and deep this is.  I don't even have a 4K tv, but the graphics on the XB1X are insane.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VA $l!m

Quote from: tet on October 26, 2018, 07:45:13 PM
I took a good part of the day off to play RDR2 and it's everything Slim says and more...  just a masterpiece so far, and I'm only now starting to explore a little beyond Valentine.  Crazy crazy crazy how good and deep this is.  I don't even have a 4K tv, but the graphics on the XB1X are insane.
i know i keep thinking omg if i had a xbox 1 in native 4k ona  huge tv... i'm just playin on  a 43" 4k tv but in 1080p on ps4 and its jaw dropping. i mean i literally have spen tmore time gawking at the game then playing it so far, lol.
and its one thing to have the best graphics probably ever put in a console game, but then add to that the insanely detailed annimations.
Seriously... take somethin glike the "cinematic" mode they have. a feature i would probably compeltely ignore in other games, but in this one im like "hell yeah gimme cinematic mode!" OR even toggling into 1st person mode just cause ta know like jesus can i get more immersed?
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

tet

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 26, 2018, 08:51:17 PM
i know i keep thinking omg if i had a xbox 1 in native 4k ona  huge tv... i'm just playin on  a 43" 4k tv but in 1080p on ps4 and its jaw dropping. i mean i literally have spen tmore time gawking at the game then playing it so far, lol.
and its one thing to have the best graphics probably ever put in a console game, but then add to that the insanely detailed annimations.
Seriously... take somethin glike the "cinematic" mode they have. a feature i would probably compeltely ignore in other games, but in this one im like "hell yeah gimme cinematic mode!" OR even toggling into 1st person mode just cause ta know like jesus can i get more immersed?

yeah see I'm going the opposite way.  with the XB1X, it renders in native 4k, and then downsamples to 1080p if you don't have 4k tv hooked up, so it's rendered SUPER-smoothly.  all of the artifacts and dithering I've read about on the "last-gen" consoles isn't even an issue here.  I am still just in awe of the size and scale of this game, and I haven't even scratched the surface.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VA $l!m

Quote from: tet on October 27, 2018, 04:35:01 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on October 26, 2018, 08:51:17 PM

yeah see I'm going the opposite way.  with the XB1X, it renders in native 4k, and then downsamples to 1080p if you don't have 4k tv hooked up, so it's rendered SUPER-smoothly.  all of the artifacts and dithering I've read about on the "last-gen" consoles isn't even an issue here.  I am still just in awe of the size and scale of this game, and I haven't even scratched the surface.
its by far the best looking game ive seen on ps4. i havent seen a  single graphic blip myself... quite the opposite.
i find it funny how the graphics nerds only ever get press when the game is cutting edge in that respect.  DICE got the same sort of shit  when the Frostbite engine is/was basically setting the standard over the last few years.

BTW, you now a game is a masterpiece when it can make a Dominos mini-game fun.

This is in essence the sublime key to this game's transcendence.
It has all the systems of an open world game that are standard fare these days, but it immerses you so seemlessly into these activites that you dont see or even care about the framework that usually becomes tranparent and thus tedious with most games.

In other games its like : here's activities a-z, do them repeatedly, get bored . your drive becomes simply get to the end of the game or build the strongest character. end of story.
in RDR2 its like here's a WORLD, you are a  cowboy, do what a cowboy does. shit is happening all around you- interact with that shit, survive, grow,  become the cowboy you want to be.

Seriously, for example its like those Pip boy mini games in fallout. i plugged a holotape of one in once... 5 seconds later that was the last i ever thought about it.
but last night i was at my camp in RDR2... just chillin... it was late, not much goin on so i figured what the heck ill play dominos with the cook that i sorta liked talkin to earlier... 10 minuteslater im like wow am i relaly playign virtual dominos, but the music and atmosphere, including the character annimations and voice lines  just kept sucking me in...10 minutes later i realized i was actually learning how to play dominos whcih id totally forgotten..... then i thought shit i wanna win this friggin game. so after about 25 minutes of playing dominos i lost my shit when i actually beat the dude on the last hand and got these cool voice lines, lol.

rowjimmy

This game is amazing.
Just got through the first chapter and I'm blown away.
Ready to explore the world a bit now that we're near Valentine.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 27, 2018, 05:49:47 PM
This game is amazing.

Basically says it all.
i have a friend on psn trying to get me to explain to him why its so good and its impossible. its just one of those transcendant entertainment experiences where the sum equals more than the parts.
PLus i just love the 'chill' aspect of it compared to like a GTA you're actively encouraged to take your time or moesey around.
Stoked you picked it up.

PS- one more excellent feature is the morality system. gotta love how everyting in the world ebbs and flows with each action you take.

VA $l!m

emay

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 27, 2018, 06:52:25 PM
This game is amazing.

Basically says it all.
i have a friend on psn trying to get me to explain to him why its so good and its impossible. its just one of those transcendant entertainment experiences where the sum equals more than the parts.
PLus i just love the 'chill' aspect of it compared to like a GTA you're actively encouraged to take your time or moesey around.
Stoked you picked it up.

PS- one more excellent feature is the morality system. gotta love how everyting in the world ebbs and flows with each action you take.

Kinda pissed that I rode into Valentine and some dude rolled up shooting so, of course, I smoked him and split town with a bounty on my head.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 29, 2018, 09:22:38 AM
This game is amazing.

Basically says it all.
Stoked you picked it up.

Kinda pissed that I rode into Valentine and some dude rolled up shooting so, of course, I smoked him and split town with a bounty on my head.
half the time ill run into an encounter trying to help someone but end up accidently doing something wrong that givves me bad rep., it aint easy walkin a straight line.

emay

Yeah ive been riding around with a bounty for a while. Usually end up getting mobbed by bounty hunters before I get to pay it off.

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 29, 2018, 10:20:51 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on October 29, 2018, 09:22:38 AM
This game is amazing.

Basically says it all.
Stoked you picked it up.

half the time ill run into an encounter trying to help someone but end up accidently doing something wrong that givves me bad rep., it aint easy walkin a straight line.

I had someone run and report me for killing a Stagecoach robber.

Not cool.

Showed him though. I shot the coachman, too.

VA $l!m

Tip: hang out for the camp parties after chapters. Total riot

VA $l!m