News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Metal Thread

Started by Gumbo72203, November 06, 2012, 11:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

Quote from: Augustus on November 05, 2012, 03:22:10 PM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on November 05, 2012, 02:30:12 PM
I guess it comes down to a matter of taste, because while I see your point in the Tweeprise peak from 22:00 - 25:00 being a volume thing, I think the tension of Mike and Fish (which is heard MUCH MUCH better on the SBD) is what really drives it home. 

Its Trey doing a chordal style of soloing, which i like hearing him do a lot.

Weren't you bangin' opiates outside of that SPAC show?
Maybe that's why you have such a deep connection with it.

I was outside the fence that show, but I think the 2nd night was my extracurriculars. 

I mean, the Piper converted me from death metal.  I went to 6/19/04 as a vehement anti-Phish person.  VEHEMENT.  I was still playing in Angeldeath at the time lol.  This is legit the Morbid Angel shirt I wore to that show:

"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

emay

MiamiPhish

That quote on the back makes me cringe.

Hicks

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on November 17, 2006, 05:37:22 PM

Come Centaur
Those Who Prance to the Hymns of Truth
Come join us
Come Leviathan
Make passage of the Entrance we've
Prepared for You this night

Bil-At Kir-Zal Za-A-Kam Ki-Aga-Du
Kas-Du Da-Ra-Es Mu Ga Im-Mi-In
Nin-Ana-Si-Anna Ga Sa-Ga-Ar
Za-A-Kam Ne-Su-Ub-Du Ne-En-Mu Ga Sa-Ga-Ar

[Translation:]

Lady of Splendour, It is Thine Loving Embrace,
Sweet Nectar for which I forever thirst.
Heavenly Lady, I hunger.
It is Thine Kiss of Divinty for which I hunger

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

McGrupp

Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

VDB

That's some epic sleuthing, Hicks.
Is this still Wombat?

Gumbo72203

hahahaha.

Its hilarious, though, because Morbid Angel's "Formulas" is like, the jam-band death metal album.  Its SOOO fucking psychedelic, dripping with cosmic goo.  Trey improvised all of his solos, and used all these gnarly recording techniques, like placing a fan between the mic and cabinet, putting the mic in a giant glass bowl, etc. 

The feeling I get when I listen to "Covenant of Death", *ESPECIALLY* the ending, is the same feeling as the 11/7/98 ACDC Bag's epic ending jam, or any version of Whats The Use?.  Cosmic.  Power. 

Trey is the Jerry Garcia of death metal, by the way.  Uber-philosopher.  Morbid Angel used to play acid parties in Florida during the early 80's; the bands creation just about exactly mirrors the Dead's in terms of they got together, playing this gnarly music at acid parties, etc. 

ugh I love it.  haha

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

VDB

Not coincidentally, today I checked out a few Morbid Angel tracks on YouTube. Sorry, I just don't see it...
Is this still Wombat?

Gumbo72203

Well, its death metal.  Its not for everybody lol. 

I'm actually SUPER curious, what songs did you check out?

The 3 that I would recommend for seeing their psychedelic side are "Covenant of Death", "I", and "Prayer of Hatred". 

Sit through this, *I PROMISE* you'll see what I'm talking about.  Plus, you CAN dance to it.  I do. 

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on November 07, 2012, 02:37:01 PM

Sit through this, *I PROMISE* you'll see what I'm talking about.  Plus, you CAN dance to it.  I do. 

I really don't think you could pay me enough money to watch that.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

westcider

The middle part was pretty cool, and I can appreciate the intensity of the rhythm, though the drum beat seemed excessive and made it completely undance-able.  I just can't accept vocals like that.  I really fail to see how anyone could, though obviously some people do.  one at least.

barnesy305

I don't mind Morbid Angel, actually.

MiamiPhish

Quote from: westcider on November 07, 2012, 02:53:52 PM
I just can't accept vocals like that.

I feel you there.

Opeth, I think, is a nice mix of death metal music with mellow vocals, although Mikel Owhateverthefuckhisnameis does growl, too.

twatts

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on November 07, 2012, 02:37:01 PM

I think this kind of music is absolutely hilarious... 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

twatts

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on November 06, 2012, 06:45:32 PM
jam-band death metal

Saw this band (Delicious) open for Lake Trout way back when...  The drummer was the sound-guy for Trout... 

Its as close to Jam-Metal as I've ever seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B05J1i0kgi8&feature=relmfu

They were hilarious...

Terry

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill