News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2017-7-21 MSG, New York, NY

Started by anthrax, July 21, 2017, 11:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Quote from: anthrax on July 22, 2017, 11:52:13 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on July 22, 2017, 11:43:37 AM
Quote from: anthrax on July 22, 2017, 11:29:30 AM
seven below was fantastic!
going to revisit tweezer soon as it didn't knock me over at the time.
given the way they are playing and the individual themes each night, i can finally buy into the no repeats thing.  however, i have a hard time believing i'll see 10 phish shows this summer without seeing a tweezer.

scott, did you notice anything different inside the garden?  were any sections not open or closed off?  were there a lot of extra tickets outside before the show?

I could see on the stream that the two sections above the traditional paug section were completely empty. So much so that they must not have allowed patrons to post up there. Otherwise phish heads would have been there. That includes the infamous "blue" seats.

i was wondering if those sections were empty because they were blocked off or because there was no need to sit up there.  like there were other closer/better empty sections that the heads chose to invade.
A chunk of the blue seats have somewhat of an obstructed view during hockey games.  Not sure if that would be the case during a concert or not.

WhatstheUse?

I didn't see any areas specifically blocked off... but I also didn't try and go way up to the 400s.  I'd say the arena was 80-85% full(?) -- I think these weekday shows are going to CRUSH when it's only 60% full

Strangely, there wasn't an overabundance of extras outside the show.  I was expecting tickets on the ground, but there were definitely more people looking than selling.
Bring in the dude!

aphineday

The coconuts stuff was cool. I really enjoyed that they put enough work into it as to learn on acapella. Th y are having fun, and I, sure there is a great deal more fun (and surprises even maybe?!?!) in store.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

VDB

How about Trey on that Moonage Daydream. Yowzas.

Now, this Tweezer deserves a few comments. First, it's still reasonable to think this could be the only Tweezer of tour. That plus all the big jamming to this point and the hugeness of BD in general meant high expectations. If they were going to spend Tweezer on night one, it needed to be exceptional. But Trey fell back on that overused trick of his, the ascending, note-blasting wankery licks, that has been his crutch for the last year-plus now. I thought he'd been weening himself off it this summer, but in Tweezer it came back with an extended vengeance. In a vacuum, this would have qualified as a cool, successful jam. But we've heard it way too many times by this point.

I loved the Seven Below jam, however, enjoyed Everything's Right, and the a capella Coconut was a comedic treat. Overall, another fun time on the couch.
Is this still Wombat?

susep

Love the opener, great way to kick it off especially the chorus.  Tweezer has a fine jam early on, unfortunately it only lasts 3.5 minutes.  Gorgeous interplay either way.  Seven Below has a nice jam, Page leading the way w/ nice effect.   
Everything's Right reminds of BEK from 30Dec.1997, slow, thick funk w/ Page prominent on the clav.     

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

gainesvillegreen

The playing in this Pigtail causes me to be happy in the extreme....one of my favorite pieces of short Phish the entire run
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.