News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New receiver for a friend.

Started by antelope19, May 20, 2008, 12:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

I was hangin out last night with a friend and we got to talking.  He is going to start building his home theater and needs a new receiver on a limited budget.  Lets say he's willing to spend $300ish.  Where should I direct him with that kind of budget and what would be the best bang for his buck at that price range.  He is by no means an audiophile(their current set up is an ipod dock speaker, bose maybe?) and would most likely be thrilled with a 5.1 surround. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

Not gonna get much in the way of quality for $300.

I'd head down to the local big box electronics store and see what's on-sale.

antelope19

Quote from: mattstick on May 20, 2008, 01:01:39 PM

Not gonna get much in the way of quality for $300.

I'd head down to the local big box electronics store and see what's on-sale.

Yeah, I think thats what he'll end up doing, but which of the lower-end products/brands would be a better bet in your opinion?

mattstick

antelope19

Ok.  I'll let him know.  Thanks and a +k while I'm at it.

antelope19

mattstick

Some newer amps will have built-in Tuners for Sat Radio, maybe worth it if he ever gets XM/Sirius.

antelope19

Good thought Matt.  I'll pass that along as well.  Thanks.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

antelope19

blatboom

If they do go to the store, def. tell them to look on-line before they buy because you can almost always find it cheaper (plus you don't gotta pay sales tax & can often find free shipping)

from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aws/cart/add.html?AWSAccessKeyId=0SNN4CNDW43V2MFXRBG2&AssociateTag=gosale-20&OfferListingId.1=CVX%2FJKDgQnHKckRQNkqqF204sSscpeWcEyEOIbTbjrUC15dHM%2F%2BxQ3dBpjtSvXUpriIuIkUZqqOvicFqVz8qlA%3D%3D&Quantity.1=1&add=add

Onkyo TX-SR605S 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Silver) $311.99 1  (free shipping)

Marmar

Try Yamaha's too....

Their DSP's are top notch....plus I like their overall cost vs. quality.....Onkyo is ok, but Yamaha's would be a lil better IMHO....and for not much more cheddah....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Hicks

Quote from: Marmar on May 20, 2008, 07:30:46 PM
Try Yamaha's too....

Their DSP's are top notch....plus I like their overall cost vs. quality.....Onkyo is ok, but Yamaha's would be a lil better IMHO....and for not much more cheddah....

Yamaha's bass output tend to be too low for me, plus I can't support a company that uses gimmicks like "presence" speakers.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Marmar

I've never had that problem....

I bet some of it might have to do with the sub being used, along with how you have the bass management set up....

Then stop supporting everyone who uses DTS:NEO....or ProLogic.....those incorporate presence speakers.

And bass is never an issue.....if you want more bass, you just make sure your sub is up to the challenge......or upgrade the front speakers to something with at least an 8" driver....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.