News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Greta Van Fleet!!!!

Started by mistercharlie, June 05, 2018, 08:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Has anyone else listened to Greta Van Fleet? These kids are talented as hell. It's like early Led Zeppelin, and I mean exactly like early Zep. This guy can sing! I listened to this album four times at work today. But to be fair it is only 30 minutes long since it's only an EP. They haven't even made a full album yet and they are already this good! I expect this band to get pretty damn big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaEQri9BKlc&list=PL2SUeyqYhOGhAMD2LRBsuJ63QVACkKyrn

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mopper_smurf

"Singer looks like a Twilight version of Robert Plant. Meh."  (my daughter, who admits she likes them as long she keeps her eyes closed)
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

rowjimmy

Quote from: mopper_smurf on June 06, 2018, 12:37:09 AM
"Singer looks like a Twilight version of Robert Plant. Meh."  (my daughter, who admits she likes them as long she keeps her eyes closed)

Daughter is exactly right.
Don't look at the band and they're fine.

Or you could listen to Led Zeppelin.

gah

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 06, 2018, 09:03:43 AM
Quote from: mopper_smurf on June 06, 2018, 12:37:09 AM

Daughter is exactly right.
Don't look at the band and they're fine.

Or you could listen to Led Zeppelin.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

cactusfan

Hicks

Watched part of a webcast and couldn't really take these guys seriously, seemed kind of like a parody of Led Zep.   

I don't really see the appeal of dudes younger than me trying really hard to sound exactly like bands from the 60s or 70s. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

I scored a pair of Friday night Chicago Dec. 14th tickets!!!  :rawk: :rawk:

These shows sold out QUICK!!! I went on lunch yesterday, and they had just announced the second show (after the first show sold out instantly), and I had just gotten a Ticketmaster gift card from my office for my birthday last month so I tried my luck and pulled a pair! The wife doesn't know her schedule yet, but she is gonna try to go with me, but if not, I'm going on my own and will have a ticket to get rid of. It shouldn't be hard given the demand for tickets. So damned excited fro this!! The new album is out next month and these kids are going places!!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

ICYMI: Pitchfork's takedown of the new GVF is pretty hilarious. I can't say I disagree with any of it. 

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Hicks on October 24, 2018, 10:25:40 AM
ICYMI: Pitchfork's takedown of the new GVF is pretty hilarious. I can't say I disagree with any of it. 

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

Had a great laugh at that article yesterday.
Pretty spot on it would seem.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

:shakehead:

I still really like these kids. I'm amped for the show I'll be going to in December. They played a 27 minute version of one of their songs the other night. Their live show is completely different from their studio stuff.

mbw

I'm sure these kids will be crying over that review as they drag their giant sacks of money to the bank.

Hicks

Pitchfork absolutely did them a favor by writing that review, a 1.6 is going to generate a lot more discussion than a 4.5, but I'm sure the writers at Pitchfork were well aware of that before they published it. 

mopper_smurf

I don't need Pitchfork to tell me they suck.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

PIE-GUY

I love how the entire review is in itself a tired throwback to the Lester Bangs era rock reviews of the albums GvF worships... without a hint of irony. ::Rolls eyes::

Here's Bangs on Black Sabbath:

"The whole album is a shuck — despite the murky songtitles and some inane lyrics that sound like Vanilla Fudge paying doggerel tribute to Aleister Crowley, the album has nothing to do with spiritualism, the occult, or anything much except stiff recitations of Cream clichés that sound like the musicians learned them out of a book, grinding on and on with dogged persistence."

ETA:  here's pitchfork doing its best Bangs impression:

"They care so deeply and are so precious with their half-baked boomer fetishism, they mollycoddled every impulse of late-'60s rock'n'roll into an interminable 49-minute drag."
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mistercharlie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 24, 2018, 02:30:49 PM
I love how the entire review is in itself a tired throwback to the Lester Bangs era rock reviews of the albums GvF worships... without a hint of irony. ::Rolls eyes::

Here's Bangs on Black Sabbath:

"The whole album is a shuck — despite the murky songtitles and some inane lyrics that sound like Vanilla Fudge paying doggerel tribute to Aleister Crowley, the album has nothing to do with spiritualism, the occult, or anything much except stiff recitations of Cream clichés that sound like the musicians learned them out of a book, grinding on and on with dogged persistence."

ETA:  here's pitchfork doing its best Bangs impression:

"They care so deeply and are so precious with their half-baked boomer fetishism, they mollycoddled every impulse of late-'60s rock'n'roll into an interminable 49-minute drag."
It's funny that you chose that review, and those lines specifically. GVF wrote much of the material on the new album while renting/living in Aleister Crowley's house!