News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/17 - Verizon Wireless Amp - Charlotte, NC - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by whatapiper, June 17, 2011, 11:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on June 18, 2011, 02:27:46 PM
I think they nicely made up for Alph 2. High energy show, no real setlist letdowns. Looking forward to giving another listen to the jamming in RnR and Ghost.

Replace "alph 2" with "Darien" and "RnR" with "wilson" or "Slave" and this post could be from the 8/14/09 post show discussion and review thread.

No offense to VDB, and I hate that I'm hating but that's just the first thing that popped in my head when I read that post.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

roggae

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on June 18, 2011, 09:25:09 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on June 18, 2011, 12:18:51 AM
Quote from: blatboom on June 18, 2011, 12:17:21 AM
responsible RJ is responsible.

I will paint 2-4 windows and drink approx 2-4 beers per.

Then it will be evening.

Let me give you a page from my book....

Hire some dudes to do this and then go out of town!  When I come back it will be done and you will have seen Phish.

While I highly respect RJ for doing this I agree with hiring someone to do the work. I've gotten lazy since we had twins.
Clearly it's all awful.

aphineday

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on June 18, 2011, 04:56:36 PM
Quote from: aphineday on June 18, 2011, 04:06:50 PM
I guess I don't really get the love for the R&R and Ghost here. It was  pretty meh to me after 2 listens.

Yes!! The message I want to send the band here or the point I'm trying to make, is that your jams suck nowadays, why do you even bother trying to jam anymore, when you do jam, I find your jams to be very inadequate, and if anyone says a possitive thing about them, I will shoot them down on that thought immediately...

But do you want to know what pisses me off even more is the fact that you don't jam anymore, it's like, I would be happy if you would at least attempt some type II jamming in your shows, because then maybe you might re-find your way into some nicer deep exploration, and the other thing I want to point out is that playing 7 minute and 44 second Ghost's like the one at PNC is completely unacceptable...

And just so you know aphineday, this post does not represent anything that I think of you personally, just trying to make a point. Actually most of your posts are pretty middle of the road, and are just a fair representation of how you feel, being both good things and bad... Not just pure continuous hatred.

Fair enough, I see your point Poster. I try to give an honest report of everything I hear. I'm not trying to be a notorious "hater", "fluffer" or anything of the sort. I just love having an honest discussion of the music, whatever it may be. That being said, I do feel a little jaded by 3.0 a lot of the time. I can't help but compare them to 1.0, etc. I get sick of hearing people say not to compare the two, because it's impossible. If you've heard a band blow your fucking mind socket once apon a time, then it's only natural to compare the two. THAT BEING SAID, they don't have to live up to that for me to love it. I'm just saying comparison is inevitable.

These versions didn't do it for me personally, if they did it for you then right on! I'm actually curious to know what people hear in these, maybe it can change my mind. It's very possible. I can't count the number of times someone has told me to go back and listen to something I either didn't hear that was great, or something I thought was great, but wasn't. Either way, it's everyone's right to have their own opinions.

As for me, I'll remain ever hopeful that they will blow my fucking mind some night soon. See you all at the LST.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

rowjimmy

Quote from: roggae on June 18, 2011, 05:23:55 PM

Then it will be evening.

Hire some dudes to do this and then go out of town!  When I come back it will be done and you will have seen Phish.

While I highly respect RJ for doing this I agree with hiring someone to do the work. I've gotten lazy since we had twins.

I'm saving tons of money and get the satisfaction and thrill of doing it myself.
It's not just painting, we're restoring a 90+year old house, here.

Caravan2001

Wow.....kick ass show.  Probably best of the tour so far IMO.  The RR->Ghost is killer, and I really like the YEM.  First set is nothing amazing, but some good versions all around.  Good energy throughout the show and the band seems to really be hooking up during the Rock and Roll.  Sweet encore taboot. This show will get more play around my house for sure.  If I had attended, I would have been stoked.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 18, 2011, 06:36:36 PM
Wow.....kick ass show.  Probably best of the tour so far IMO.  The RR->Ghost is killer, and I really like the YEM.  First set is nothing amazing, but some good versions all around.  Good energy throughout the show and the band seems to really be hooking up during the Rock and Roll.  Sweet encore taboot. This show will get more play around my house for sure.  If I had attended, I would have been stoked.

I was at this show, and I think pine knob was better.   It was a fun ass show to see, tho.

mbw

roggae

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 18, 2011, 05:48:25 PM
Quote from: roggae on June 18, 2011, 05:23:55 PM

Then it will be evening.

I'm saving tons of money and get the satisfaction and thrill of doing it myself.
It's not just painting, we're restoring a 90+year old house, here.

We live in a house that was originally built 100 years ago and I'd love to do some restoration especially the basement which has barely been touched and is original in most parts but I just can't bring myself to get anything done. I'm still heartbroken I had to leave my basement brewery in Madison. Hats off to you RJ.
Clearly it's all awful.

macaronihead

This Icculus doesn't stack up to Hartford's, oh well, still awesome it was busted out.

Declan

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on June 18, 2011, 11:45:09 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on June 18, 2011, 06:36:36 PM
The RR->Ghost is killer

indeed. finally getting around to listening to this.  pretty dope.

this one actually gives me hope.  Seems like Fish is on, and trey is ascending. 

Happy about where the band is going.
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

phil

Quote from: macaronihead on June 19, 2011, 12:38:48 AM
This Icculus doesn't stack up to Hartford's, oh well, still awesome it was busted out.

I listened to three Icculuses (Icculi?) yesterday: this one, Hartford, and 10/27/94.

Not only does this Icculus not stack up, it actually falls flat on its face. Caricatures of themselves'd. They should have left Icculus out.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

fauxpaxfauxreal

Having actually been to the show.  The icculus was fun as shit and I'm glad they played it.  I agree it's not a very good one, but the fun level was definitely at "11" during it.  There's nothing they would have played in this slot that I would think would be any better.  I'd much rather Icculus than Kill Devil Falls or Alaska or ocelot.  Thanks.

Nobes

[/quote]

Careful what you say. People will say you're a fluffer and a noob. Ooooh. Buncha dicks.

G. Augusto

Quote from: Nobes on June 19, 2011, 11:14:15 AM

Careful what you say. People will say you're a fluffer and a noob. Ooooh. Buncha dicks.

How's your shitty thread going?
Oh, looks like you deleted it.
n00bes, lol.
Btw, learn how to quote.

Nobes

Quote from: G. Augusto on June 19, 2011, 12:46:29 PM
Quote from: Nobes on June 19, 2011, 11:14:15 AM

How's your shitty thread going?
Oh, looks like you deleted it.
n00bes, lol.
Btw, learn how to quote.

Because that's such a valuable and important skill in life; learn to quote properly on a fucking discussion board. What the fuck is up your ass, dude? Sorry I disagree with you about the band and the music that I still enjoy.