News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

Quote from: mattstick on May 22, 2015, 01:17:32 PM
Quote from: susep on May 22, 2015, 11:51:02 AM
nice pics.  psyched to hear more Wayne Shorter myself.  That Lee Morgan LP gets solid reviews.  Also Herbie plays keys on it.

I know Search For The New Land inside and out, it's amazing.

Never heard much Sonny Rollins on Blue Note, but I played Sonny Meets Hawk a few times last weekend and really enjoyed it.

That Blakey title looks interesting RJ, I sometimes shy away from Blakey albums because every track has a drum solo, but in the end his bands are so good that they can't be ignored.

I've had my eye on Search for awhile esp with Wayne and Herbie being participants. 

Here's an AllMusic snippet from their review of Ugetsu:
QuoteThe group is spurred on by a very receptive crowd, tempos and solos are spirited for the most part, and Blakey seems exceptionally energetic despite not performing a single extended solo himself. His between-song banter is equally entertaining. Overall, the group is precise, expressive, and swinging hard, delivering its message from the grandest platform of the time.

my goal is to collect all of Wayne's LPs with the Messengers as well. 

sls.stormyrider

agree with you about Search for A New Land - great album

Sonny Rollins at the Vanguard is great - Elvin Jones on drums, iirc.

I disagree with you about Blakey. That's a great band - pretty much the same lineup as Moanin' (if not exactly the same)
All of the Lee Morgan era Blakey albums that I've heard (I haven't heard that one yet) are worh having
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

That live record has only four tracks and, while I'm sure there's a few drum solos, they certainly didn't dampen my listen.
The record swings and that's all I need.

Caravan2001

Quote from: mattstick on May 22, 2015, 01:17:32 PM
Quote from: susep on May 22, 2015, 11:51:02 AM
nice pics.  psyched to hear more Wayne Shorter myself.  That Lee Morgan LP gets solid reviews.  Also Herbie plays keys on it.

I know Search For The New Land inside and out, it's amazing.

Never heard much Sonny Rollins on Blue Note, but I played Sonny Meets Hawk a few times last weekend and really enjoyed it.

That Blakey title looks interesting RJ, I sometimes shy away from Blakey albums because every track has a drum solo, but in the end his bands are so good that they can't be ignored.

I have many of the Blakey Blue Note titles, and while some can be a more drum heavy than say, a Bill Evans album or something, most of the ones I am familiar with are just really hot combos.  Not like a Buddy Rich album or something where drums are the focus.  He's one of my faves for sure-- def nothing to shy away from!

Buffalo Budd

Starting to get a little nervous that I won't get the NYE box from B&N.
They have delayed it twice and I had to put in a request today that I'd like to extend my wait.
This is eerily similar to what happened with the MMW - Free Magic disc I preordered.  :|
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Augustus

GoHastings doing 15% off today with code dealoftheday
Just picked up some stuff for cheap!

DoW

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on May 25, 2015, 08:41:20 AM
They have delayed it twice and I had to put in a request today that I'd like to extend my wait.
This is eerily similar to what happened with the MMW - Free Magic disc I preordered.  :|
there a bunch on discogs for basically list price.  shipping cost may be an issue though
http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6913859?ev=rb
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: DoW on May 26, 2015, 12:53:49 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on May 25, 2015, 08:41:20 AM
there a bunch on discogs for basically list price.  shipping cost may be an issue though
http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6913859?ev=rb

Yeah, I was able to get it for $131 shipping included so that's about $50 less than discogs.

On another note, just bought the Dr. Dog - Live at a Flamingo Hotel this morning. I'm thinking my next purchase will be that Phosphorescent live set.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Augustus

Kinda underwhelmed with the Dr. D sound but the Phosphorescent is so good. 

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Augustus on May 26, 2015, 01:43:42 PM

Well I listened to the MP3s and I was excited so I can't imagine the vinyl sounding worse, would it?
Great to hear the Phos is great.

Caravan2001

I dunno, I can see how you think it's a little muddy (The Long Goodbye, it's not), but it's pretty solid.  I guess kinda underwhelmed is actually pretty accurate.  But I still enjoy playing it.  I like their live shows more than their studio output so I find myself reaching for this one over any of the other ones I have.

Augustus

Quote from: Caravan2001 on May 27, 2015, 10:04:17 AM

I dunno, I can see how you think it's a little muddy (The Long Goodbye, it's not), but it's pretty solid.  I guess kinda underwhelmed is actually pretty accurate.  But I still enjoy playing it.  I like their live shows more than their studio output so I find myself reaching for this one over any of the other ones I have.

You said you thought it sounded pretty decent so I picked one up for cheap, despite hearing some bad reviews.
Just kinda flat to me and fades between tracks are a little distracting.
I actually really like the material on the album, tho.
Just feel like the LP could have been Epcot of it were more dynamic.

mattstick

http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/record_store_day_goes_weekly_with_vinyl_tuesdays

Many words have been spilled regarding the twice annual Record Store Day event, with some praising it for boosting sales and others complaining that it clogs pressing plants and ultimately hurts record labels. Regardless, it's not going anywhere. In fact, it's now going to be a weekly occurrence.

The Dept of Record Stores and the organizers of Record Store Day have announced that they'll now participate in a weekly event called Vinyl Tuesday. Utilizing the RSD model, the event will offer weekly exclusives to participating independent retailers.

There are five different types of releases planned for the weekly Vinyl Tuesday event. These include catalog releases, commercial and promotional releases, releases made specifically for the Record Store Day indie community, vinyl editions of albums that were previously released on CD and digitally, and exclusive vinyl releases that drop before their digital editions.

A press release does not indicate when, exactly, Vinyl Tuesday is set to launch, but it does explain that it will be "offered to the international community of retailers." In other words, it'll likely take place in Canada along with the other Record Store Day markets.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mattstick on May 27, 2015, 10:31:13 AM
http://exclaim.ca/Music/article/record_store_day_goes_weekly_with_vinyl_tuesdays

Many words have been spilled regarding the twice annual Record Store Day event, with some praising it for boosting sales and others complaining that it clogs pressing plants and ultimately hurts record labels. Regardless, it's not going anywhere. In fact, it's now going to be a weekly occurrence.

The Dept of Record Stores and the organizers of Record Store Day have announced that they'll now participate in a weekly event called Vinyl Tuesday. Utilizing the RSD model, the event will offer weekly exclusives to participating independent retailers.

There are five different types of releases planned for the weekly Vinyl Tuesday event. These include catalog releases, commercial and promotional releases, releases made specifically for the Record Store Day indie community, vinyl editions of albums that were previously released on CD and digitally, and exclusive vinyl releases that drop before their digital editions.

A press release does not indicate when, exactly, Vinyl Tuesday is set to launch, but it does explain that it will be "offered to the international community of retailers." In other words, it'll likely take place in Canada along with the other Record Store Day markets.

I've been calling for that for years.

mattstick

Yup, me too.  Bring customers into the stores 52 times a year rather than once.