News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Saints violated bounty rule

Started by sls.stormyrider, March 02, 2012, 08:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW

Quote from: phil on March 06, 2012, 04:54:54 PM
Quote from: bvaz on March 06, 2012, 01:14:41 PM
Quote from: phil on March 06, 2012, 01:10:01 PM
Quote from: bvaz on March 06, 2012, 01:01:00 PM
http://nflheadinjurylawsuits.com/
I think that pretty much sums it up.
does the NFL really have any choice in the matter?

it sums up how insanely litigious our society is. I don't think a player winning a few grand for interceptions or sacks is or should be linked to concussions/head injuries (correlation is not causation)
do you really think this is about sacks and interceptions?  I don't want to be demeaning but that is naive.
take a look at what is happening in the nfl with hits on QBs. 
take a look at fines and how a safety basically can;t do anything anymore.
then take a look at how players are blaming their former teams and the league.

if you think all the saints were doing is giving incentives for sacks and interceptions, you must drink enough kool-aid to actually think trey is playing well in 3.0.

I don't think the saints were doing bounties for sacks and interceptions, but lots of teams do. Matt Bowen has said the Redskins system was something the players paid into as penalties for blown coverage in practice, showing up late to meetings, etc. Philip Daniels said he received as much as $1500 for a game in which he recorded four sacks. Simply because it's a bounty system doesn't mean the intent is malicious (although it certainly was in the Saints' case).
but you're changing the whole discussion then.
my point was geared towards malicious incentives.
I don't and I doubt the NFL cares about de mnimus (in comparison to salaries) bonuses for noteworthy performances.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

antelope19

One source close to Roger Goodell tells SI.com's Peter King that the commissioner's reaction to initial reports about the Saints' bounty program was, "God forbid this is true. This will be earth-shattering."
"This is a seminal moment in the culture change we have to make," said the high-placed source close to Goodell. "This has to stop now. Every team needs to hear the message that we're in a different era now, where this appalling behavior is going to end." The Saints can't expect leniency. King believes Goodell will come down hardest on Rams DC Greg Williams, Saints coach Sean Payton, GM Mickey Loomis, and MLB Jonathan Vilma, "in that order." All four, and perhaps more Saints defensive players, should expect multi-game suspensions.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

VDB

Quote from: antelope19 on March 06, 2012, 06:18:27 PM
One source close to Roger Goodell tells SI.com's Peter King that the commissioner's reaction to initial reports about the Saints' bounty program was, "God forbid this is true. This will be earth-shattering."
"This is a seminal moment in the culture change we have to make," said the high-placed source close to Goodell. "This has to stop now. Every team needs to hear the message that we're in a different era now, where this appalling behavior is going to end." The Saints can't expect leniency. King believes Goodell will come down hardest on Rams DC Greg Williams, Saints coach Sean Payton, GM Mickey Loomis, and MLB Jonathan Vilma, "in that order." All four, and perhaps more Saints defensive players, should expect multi-game suspensions.

Can we say "self-fulfilling prophecy"?
Is this still Wombat?

phil

Am I missing something? How is Jonathan Vilma any more culpable than the any other defensive player?
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

GBL

Anyone who follows football knows the Saints have been the dirtiest, cheapest team over the last 3 years and I am extremely glad Goodell is going to bring the hammer down HARD
If this is love, I'm never going home..

PIE-GUY

Quote from: GBL on March 08, 2012, 01:07:15 PM
Anyone who follows football knows the Saints have been the dirtiest, cheapest team over the last 3 years and I am extremely glad Goodell is going to bring the hammer down HARD

I don't know if I agree with this... I've seen some ugly defense out of Baltimore that puts the saints to shame.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

phil

It's safe to say that, whether or not saints players received money for big hits/whatever, Roger Goodell has done more to ruin football than any bounty system ever could.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

GBL

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 08, 2012, 01:11:19 PM
Quote from: GBL on March 08, 2012, 01:07:15 PM

I don't know if I agree with this... I've seen some ugly defense out of Baltimore that puts the saints to shame.

09 and 10 in particular.. Which is why none of this is that shocking at all..

blatboom

Quote from: phil on March 07, 2012, 03:03:53 PM

Am I missing something? How is Jonathan Vilma any more culpable than the any other defensive player?

he put up the 10 grand to take Favre out

phil

Quote from: blatboom on March 08, 2012, 04:27:28 PM
Quote from: phil on March 07, 2012, 03:03:53 PM

he put up the 10 grand to take Favre out

Ah yes, I can see how that would be particularly damning. Even in light of Anthony Hargrove claiming he received no money from the late hit on Favre in the '09 NFC Championship game

blatboom

Being a welcher does not absolve one from guilt. besides dude's probably lying

GBL

Quote from: blatboom on March 08, 2012, 10:47:06 PM
Being a welcher does not absolve one from guilt. besides dude's probably lying

Dude is totally lying, he was caught on audio..

antelope19

Holy shit! Payton suspended for the season! Williams suspended indefinitely! They're docked draft picks too!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

DoW

Quote from: antelope19 on March 21, 2012, 12:51:37 PM
Holy shit! Payton suspended for the season! Williams suspended indefinitely! They're docked draft picks too!
and they have to trade for tim tebow taboot.
eta:  I had no idea the Jets traded for Tebow when I posted that.
I can't find this story anywhere.  damn.  that is harsh.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Bobafett

crazy fuckin NFL.  that some pretty harsh penalties.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.