News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Getting a total newbie into Phish

Started by Red Sea Pedestrian, June 24, 2007, 04:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Sea Pedestrian

So a friend of mine heard the first half a Junta, and some of LP 01 in my car, and got real excited about Phish, so I wanted to make him a compiliation CD of tracks from shows that I have, the problem is that it's so hard to pick favourite jams that a guy that has never really heard Phish before can get into. So here's a list of shows that I've been thinking of taking tracks from.

10-25-88 (I really liked the Whipping Post here, good cover and the sound quality is great for this)
4-20-94
5-2-92
13-8-93 (I think that the jams here may scare him off, but I def. would take the acoustic Ginseng)
5-7-94
22-6-94
29-10-94
6-8-95
12-14-95 (Tweezer > Timber> Tweezer comes to mind)
1-7-97
23-7-97 (russian YEM jam to the face)
most of November 97 (up until 28-11-97 excluding 16 & 19, real hard to pick a fav here)
12-11-97 (great Matrix source for this, but I'm not crazy about the show so I don't know what to pick, DWD?)

Keep in mind this guy does not know Phish at all almost, so I don't want to take anything too "heady"...

sophist

Before I can give on opinion on the jams you listed, can we have a little more background on your friend?  Who is his favorite band currently?  His favorite style of music?  Could he sit through and enjoy longer jams? 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

phil

the first phish tracks i ever listened to are as follows

12-31-95 reba
6-17-94 mike's groove
12-14-95 halley's > NICU
11-17-97 ghost
12-31-99 DWD

those got me hooked pretty good
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

rowjimmy

You know, I seem to recall listening to 1993-12-31 over and over and over and over....

Hicks

4-16-92 is a confirmed newbie classic, although RJ is right 12-31-93 is another good choice as is 12-30-93 IMO.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

cactusfan

when i make live phish mixes for newbies, everything depends on who the person is.
do they listen to auds on a regular basis?
do they already like music with long jams?
are they only into rock?
or are they fools for funk?
etc.

most people aren't used to audience tapes, so i tend to stick with tracks from official releases so as not to alarm them. beyond that, it really depends on what kind of music they like. one guy i knew really liked '70s prog rock stuff and didn't like funky grooves at all, so i made him a mix with divided sky, the curtain, and so on. another friend loves dancing to live funky music, so her mix had a moma dance, a funky tweezer, the dayton tube, etc.

rickjamesstjames

Please dont make mix tapes of shows.

Its just wrong,wrong wrong!!

If they cant deal with a complete show then give 'em Rift.
Quote from: phan003 on June 24, 2007, 10:57:21 PM
sweet lecture.  I suppose he should dose the fucker too?  :roll:

sophist

Quote from: rickjamesstjames on June 24, 2007, 10:33:39 PM
Please dont make mix tapes of shows.

Its just wrong,wrong wrong!!

If they cant deal with a complete show then give 'em Rift.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

antelope19

Quote from: phan003 on June 24, 2007, 10:57:21 PM

:-D  :lol:

Hmmm, when I was trying to get my younger brother into it, I knew he really liked the album "ghost", so I went and made him a mix tape of all the songs on that album, but played live.  He really dug it, and then I opened his eyes to entire shows.  It was sort of a baby step into the live realm of phish, but I found that it really worked for him.  It ended up being a fun little project as I had  to track down a few tapes.  Fikus had only been played a handful of times!   :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

khalpin

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 24, 2007, 04:58:59 PM
You know, I seem to recall listening to 1993-12-31 over and over and over and over....

That show was the first thing I thought of, too.  Awesome tracklist, performance and sound quality.  Perfect for a newb.

Wolfmansbrother

Quote from: khalpin on June 25, 2007, 10:05:57 AM
That show was the first thing I thought of, too.  Awesome tracklist, performance and sound quality.  Perfect for a newb.

yeah i always thought of this show as a greatest hits concert if you will

but for me A Live One was my very first introduction to Phish and YEM was the deciding factor for me
after i listened to that about 50 times in a row i WAS hooked, however, the Tweezer from ALO sucks so dont let your friend listen to it

sophist

Quote from: Wolfmansbrother on June 25, 2007, 11:46:52 AM
yeah i always thought of this show as a greatest hits concert if you will

but for me A Live One was my very first introduction to Phish and YEM was the deciding factor for me
after i listened to that about 50 times in a row i WAS hooked, however, the Tweezer from ALO sucks so dont let your friend listen to it

yep.  ALO is a great choice too. 

rickjamesstjames, I was just messing with you (sort of).  I don't see the big deal if it is labeled correctly.  I also have to ask your opinion of ALO, since you seem to be against "mix" tapes. 

Red Sea Pedestrian

Quote from: phan003 on June 24, 2007, 07:41:47 AM
Before I can give on opinion on the jams you listed, can we have a little more background on your friend?  Who is his favorite band currently?  His favorite style of music?  Could he sit through and enjoy longer jams? 

Well, he plays both bass and electrical guitar, his taste in music is kind of all over the place, from bach to death metal, and his guilty pleasure is Avril Lavigne, so it's hard to real pick one style of jam for him to listen to. He isn't used to aud's, but some aud's are pretty listenable to newbiews, and I'e got a few sbd's and matrix's. I'm not big on official releases, al I have is LP #1 and 13-08-93 from LP.com.

I'm not sure about putting any real lengthy jams on the tape, he can sit down and listen to extended pieces of music, but even then the 30+ minute jams are pretty daunting to any newbie. I'd stick to jams that are no longer then 20 mins.

August

sophist