News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

MLB 2009 y'all

Started by mattstick, April 06, 2009, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Ack!  Great game.  Eff the cubs!

bonebo

Quote from: cleech74 on April 11, 2009, 10:23:39 PM
O's blanked the Rays, 6-0. :-)  Listened to the last few innings on the way home from work.

Nothing like baseball on the radio! :beers:

You can simultaneously do your tax returns and follow a ball game on the radio.  :lol:
...sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own...

jephrey

Reed Johnson! 

So Matt, despite everyone and their mothers picking the Cubs, you've taken the Cards out of the central.  Even a most pessimistic fan I know says they'll have a worse record than last year but doesn't believe they'll miss the playoffs.  Based on the Cards general lineup, I'd be looking at them as the dark horse (If out of the central).  Brewers are up and coming and the Cubs seem to at least on paper improved from last year.  Not arguing the opinion, I'm just sayin'.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

fauxpaxfauxreal

fun fucking series jephrey. 

i look forward to more of these.  especially rocking the bats at miller south!

Mr Minor

Quote from: mattstick on April 11, 2009, 10:11:49 AM

Didn't the Jays supposed "weak" offense pound the Tigers the first 3 games of the year?  What season are you watching?  The Tigers pitching is b r u t a l.

I don't think the Jays have that weak of an offense, look what they did against the Indians.  13 runs in the first game, 5 and 4 in the 2nd and 3rd. 
The Tigers turned around and swept the Rangers who were touted as being a "great offensive team" by the douchebags on MLB channel.

We'll see how they fare against the White Sox this week.  The Tiger pitching could be great.  Verlander had a tough start, but then again he didn't come on until too late last season.  I just hope he gets his pitches going earlier this year.  Galarraga, Robinson, Minor, and Lyon all looked decent.

It's early. We'll see what happens.

antelope19

Quote from: Mr Minor on April 13, 2009, 12:14:02 PM
Quote from: mattstick on April 11, 2009, 10:11:49 AM

Didn't the Jays supposed "weak" offense pound the Tigers the first 3 games of the year?  What season are you watching?  The Tigers pitching is b r u t a l.

I don't think the Jays have that weak of an offense, look what they did against the Indians.  13 runs in the first game, 5 and 4 in the 2nd and 3rd. 
The Tigers turned around and swept the Rangers who were touted as being a "great offensive team" by the douchebags on MLB channel.

We'll see how they fare against the White Sox this week.  The Tiger pitching could be great.  Verlander had a tough start, but then again he didn't come on until too late last season.  I just hope he gets his pitches going earlier this year.  Galarraga, Robinson, Minor, and Lyon all looked decent.

It's early. We'll see what happens.

Your argument is that they beat up on the Indians?  C'mon dude, they won their first game of the season yesterday.  IMO, that's not a good team to base any argument on. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

mattstick

Jays bats are much improved from last year, but they need to be hot all year to compete - that's not very likely.

Mr Minor

I am in no way saying the Indians are good, but just saying the Jay's offense isn't weak.

Actually, I am not going to defend either of those teams.  My point is the Tigers started off slow.  Tough series in Toronto but it got better at home against the Rangers.  Now it's on to the White Sox which will be an interesting test.  Their pitching will come around.

blatboom

sad day at the Nats' park...
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20090413_Phils_announcer_Harry_Kalas_rushed_to_the_hospital.html

QuoteBY THE INQUIRER STAFF

Harry Kalas, the Phillies' Hall of Fame announcer, died at 1:20 p.m. today, the Phillies announced.

Mr. Kalas was 73.

He collapsed in the press box at Nationals Stadium in Washington at about 12:30 p.m. and was rushed to George Washington University Medial Center.

The cause of the death was not announced. Today's game against the Nationals will be played, but the team will not visit the White House tomorrow.

"We lost Harry today," David Montgomery, the team president, said. "We lost our voice."

Mr. Kalas, who was found unconsious, missed most of spring training after undergoing undisclosed surgery in Feburary. That surgery was unrelated to the detached retina that sidelined him for part of last season.

Senator Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) praised Mr. Kalas in a statement.

"As the voice of the Philadelphia Phillies, Harry Kalas was everyone's friend in this region. His incisive commentaries will be sorely missed."

Susan Buehler, president of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of NATAS, today issued this statement upon hearing the news.

"The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences sends our heartfelt condolences to Harry's family, his friends, his colleagues and many generations of fans. In 2002, NATAS bestowed our Chapter's most prestigious honor - the Governor's Award honoring his lifetime achievements. He was a beloved and respected broadcaster in the TV industry with a distinguishing voice that will resonate for years to come."

Mr. Kalas, who turned 73 on March 26, has broadcast Phillies games since 1971. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002 as the recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award. He is entering the final season of a 3-year contract that he signed in December 2006.

"Comcast SportsNet and the Philadelphia sports community lost a great man today," Brian Monihan, Comcast SportsNet senior vice president and general manager, said in a statement. "Harry Kalas was the voice of the Phillies, and many of us grew up listening to his legendary calls. It was a pleasure to have him as part of our SportsNet family. We will miss him dearly. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Kalas family and the Phillies organization."

Jon Litner, Comcast Sports group president, issued this statement: "The passing of Harry Kalas leaves the Phillies, their fans, our viewers and sports fans everywhere without a treasured voice and unique personality. Harry set the tone for the Phillies' successes, hopes and triumphs for 38 seasons and fittingly he died where he lived so large - in the broadcast booth at the ballpark. The sports broadcasting business has lost a legend and on behalf of our employees, our thoughts go out to his family."

not sure I ever heard him call a baseball game, but I've been listening to him call the NFL for years (and NFL Films)...guy had an awesome voice.  RIP

blatboom

WTF is that cat doing running around Citi Field??  :lol: :lol: :lol:

"im in ur new ballpark.  freakin the fuck out"

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: blatboom on April 13, 2009, 08:08:29 PM

He thought it would be full of kitty litter...  :lol:
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

G. Augusto

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on April 13, 2009, 08:27:14 PM

Wang's face is that way, cat! >>>>>>>>

Poster Nutbag

Quote from: G. Augusto on April 13, 2009, 09:45:42 PM

Wang definitely has earned the EPIC FAIL award for the worst start in baseball so far... 28.9 era... ouch!!!!!!!
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

antelope19

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on April 13, 2009, 10:00:38 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on April 13, 2009, 09:45:42 PM

Wang definitely has earned the EPIC FAIL award for the worst start in baseball so far... 28.9 era... ouch!!!!!!!

Are you talkin' about the yankees?  Could you speak up?  I can't hear you from all the way down there in the basement of the A.L. East.

antelope19

Beckett suspended 6 games for throwing at Abreu!   :-o