News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Trey Rig Overhaul

Started by Caravan2001, December 13, 2017, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Has this been posted here yet?  Sorry if so.  Looks so sick.  I love the "Trey '94" switch.  Feeling we are in for some sweet new tones in a couple of week.

birdman

Quote from: Caravan2001 on December 13, 2017, 08:36:38 PM
Has this been posted here yet?  Sorry if so.  Looks so sick.  I love the "Trey '94" switch.  Feeling we are in for some sweet new tones in a couple of week.

I don't know what any of that stuff is.
But I'll let you know how it sounds in a few weeks
Paug FTMFW!

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Marmar

My takeaway from the new rig....

1) Trey now has MIDI control over certain effects parameters.....this means more time playing and more time with BOTH hands on the guitar = WIN
2) The Trey 94 loop is sweet, now lets see if we actually notice it if/when he uses it......
3) He doesn't like presets....every switch is an on/off switch.....niiiiiiiice......
4) CAE wah's are the SHIT.....

This thing is gonna sound nice once Brian gets it dialed in, I'm sure of.....I just like the fact he's got expression pedals to handle effect changes. There was nothing more annoying than watching Trey be in the middle of an awesome lick only to take is hand off to change a delay depth/feedback.....glad that will be a thing of the past.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mbw

It would be cool if he learned how to play Hydrogen again first.

WhatstheUse?

I'm interested to hear that POG2 in action. That pedal makes some crazy sounds that I've never heard in Phish context before.
Bring in the dude!

birdman

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 14, 2017, 02:19:01 PM
I'm interested to hear that POG2 in action. That pedal makes some crazy sounds that I've never heard in Phish context before.
could you describe these sounds?
Paug FTMFW!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: birdman on December 14, 2017, 06:09:38 PM

Beeeeeyyyyooooo! Waaaaaahhhhhh! Booooing! Ziiiiinnngggg!!!!
Bring in the dude!

khalpin

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 14, 2017, 09:11:02 PM
Quote from: birdman on December 14, 2017, 06:09:38 PM

Beeeeeyyyyooooo! Waaaaaahhhhhh! Booooing! Ziiiiinnngggg!!!!
Oh man, that takes me back.

PIE-GUY

Pretty sure he's going for "robot sharts"
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

PIE-GUY

More news on the Trey's Guitar Rig front...

https://treysguitarrig.com/2018/01/04/news-trey-tech-brian-brown-to-retire-in-2018/

News: Trey Tech Brian Brown to Retire in 2018

After over 2 decades working for the Phish organization as guitar tech to Trey Anastasio, fan favorite Brian Brown will be retiring in 2018.  Brown, 65, has worked as a tech in the industry for 40 years. He explained that the physical toll of the profession has contributed to his decision to retire, including the "heavy lifting, truck loading, [and] 14 hour workdays." Combining his 10 years as a musician to 40 as a tech, Brown says, "I've been setting up concert gigs for 50 years... since I was 15 years old," adding "Mother Nature is telling me to slow down."

Brown will be replaced by storied Canadian-born guitar tech Michael Kaye, who has worked with, among others, Paul Simon, Pete Townsend, Stephen Stills, Brian Wilson, Patti Scialfa, Jon Bon Jovi, and Warren Zevon.  Read more about Kaye's prolific career here.  Brown described Kaye as "a great guy, very experienced, and super smart."  He adds, "I'm happy knowing Trey's going to be well taken care of."

Kaye was directly involved in the rebuild of Anastasio's rig that took place at Bob Bradshaw's Custom Audio Electronics in early December, 2017, and has been working with Anastasio, Brown, and Bradshaw on tweaks and maintenance since, including at Madison Square Garden for Phish's 4-night 2017 New Year's Eve run.

Anastasio has spoken highly of Brown from the stage.  On July 8, 2016 in Mansfield, MA, after breaking a string during Cities, Anastasio asked Brown to linger on stage, saying, "This is my dear friend Brian Brown. If you like the guitar sound, cheer for this guy right now."  Needless to say, the crowd obliged.  At Hampton Coliseum on August 9, 2004, on the eve of the band's second hiatus, Trey said of Brown from the stage, "I would not be able to play without him... he totally makes all this stuff work.

Since February 2007, Brown has also been building hand-made cables for the legendary Hard Truckers company, famed for its celebrated speaker cabinets and work with the Grateful Dead.  Brown's Hard Truckers cables are made to the same exacting standards as the cables he's built for Anastasio's touring rig over the years.  Hard Truckers CEO Glenn Goldstein described Brown as a "guitar and electronics wizard," who "has dedicated his life to the science behind the music."

Of Trey's guitars, Brown has said, "Guitars slowly become who plays them. So, it starts out as a piece of wood with a bunch of copper wires and turns slowly into an extension of the person who's playing it."   

"I'll always be of service to Trey in the future," Brown tells me, "just not the primary tech."

On behalf of TGR, I would like to express my personal thanks to Brian, both for his 21 years of service to one of my favorite guitar players and bands and also for his advice and mentorship on all things rig-related, which helped make this website so much more than I ever could have hoped for when I started it.  I'm incredibly grateful.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Ryan messaged us with this last night. Pretty sure Brian was his source all this time.

Marmar

Quote from: mbw on December 14, 2017, 01:26:09 PM
It would be cool if he learned how to play Hydrogen again first.

oh the irony....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.