News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things ViDEO GAMES

Started by VA $l!m, March 12, 2007, 04:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

thought i'd restart up a Main Gamers thread. i know that the discussion here has been limited before, but oh well, at least i can keep everything under one thread now while me jedi and me and jedi talk amongst ourselves!

so jedi...

i'm completely done with socom. i could go into the details, but basically i've shelfed it after approx. 365 continous nights of playing. basically the last few weeks of SocomCA have been a wreck, mainly owing to the proliferation of MOD-discs, which has almost crashed the alreadyt horrible server and made games impossible to play with out dealing with cheaters and tons of lag...

so, i'm moving on.

anyway the prospects of getting a 360 have been stuck seriously in my head, and i've done some online research about the system vs. the PS3. well, as you prob already know, there is no contest, the 360 is going to own PS3, at least for the next 2-3 years.

so, i  think i'm headed off to see how much credit i can get for all my ps2 stuff, and if its not worth dumping, i picked up a few extra shifts to cover the luxury of jumpin on the xboxwagon!!

bTW, i just read some great news about STar wars BFII which is apparently being developed for 360 as we speak! that'll be a killer!

a4nyway, hopefully i'll be hoookin it up soon enough.
peace, slim.

original post/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

week4paug memberz online gaming IDs

360                  I                 PS3

1.$L1m=                      shakedownslim                                Deacon__       (2 underscores) 
2.JustJezmund=              SMAFA
3.Tet                              Stank Kind
4. jedi                            jedis junk
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Red Sea Pedestrian

I used to play a lot, but I've been really busy lately. I try to squeeze in some Splinter Cell where I can. I had a pretty bad Battlefield 2 going for a while that still flares up everyonce in a while. Other then that I don't play much.

sophist

Quote from: Red Sea Pedestrian on March 12, 2007, 05:08:51 PM
I used to play a lot, but I've been really busy lately. I try to squeeze in some Splinter Cell where I can. I had a pretty bad Battlefield 2 going for a while that still flares up everyonce in a while. Other then that I don't play much.
doing this:
http://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,5411.0.html  :evil:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

nab

Quote from: phan003 on March 12, 2007, 05:11:33 PM
doing this:
http://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,5411.0.html  :evil:

:-D

Edit:

In all seriousness, FF12 has been ruling my video game time this past winter.  I really only play the RPG type games as I am not much of a button masher.  I think that the wife and I will play some Hot Shots Golf this evening. 

Casey Lenahan

any one ever play Counter-Strike ???
I owe Aug $20

tet

go with the 360, you'll love it. 

yes, i'm a Mactard that also happens to be a serious xbox fanboy.  :-o  since day one of the original xbox even. 

the features of Xbox Live make the whole system worthwhile - persistent screen name across games, friends lists, easy access to text/voice messages at all times, all sorts of downloads of games, themes (for the dashboard), expansions for games...  Sony won't come close to this for another 5 years.  M$ has a serious head start on them, and i just don't see them ever catching up.  it really is THAT much better. 

the games are fantastic too.  if you're a fan of shooters like Socom, you'll love GRAW and GRAW 2, Rainbow 6: Vegas, Gears of War... HALO!!!  Halo 3 is out later this year, and i cannot wait.  there are also some other genre-bending games, like Saints Row and Crackdown - both similar to GTA (GTA IV will be out later this year on both 360 and PS3, so no exclusive bullshit anymore) but both quite different in some ways.  Crackdown was def. the sleeper hit of the console so far.  really one of the coolest games i've ever played. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

nab

Can anyone recommend any non-shooters on xbox?  I'm not familiar with the platform at all, but the best games seem to be shooters, a genera I'm not all that fond of myself.

VA $l!m

just got back from the crackhouse...uh, i mean video game store, and i priced the whole setup. man, do you think microsoft could make it so i had to buy 10 more different things to get started?!?! that'd be fun!  :evil:

anyway, the guy said i could get ~$100-150 credit for all my PS2 shit, which i am willing to dump...

the system with the hd is 4 bills, then the plugin controller charger -$20(which i think i DO want a wireless, sounds cool).

then the "gold pack" with a yr online and a headset is 60, but i could just get a 3 month online for 20 and a headset for 20, but in the long run i'll lose out... though he also showed me this new wireless headset which was dope... they only had aused one, but it is tiny and the mic sits next to your cheek bone and it apparently can pick up your voice through your jaw or somethin--60 new, 35 used--ehhh... i can live without probably.

one guy at the store said i wouldnt be dissapointed with GRAW2 online multiplayer if i was a socrack addict... he said he played both, and i would be blown away. he also said alot of peeps play rainbow6 online too... & i've heard a few peeps on socom say that too. either way ~60 for either of those, and i want to get NBA homecourt( the new EA NBAstreet release)...

anyway...400+60+20= 480 for the system, minus say 130 for my credit= 350+ 60 for a game+ 30 in tax(?) ...

so everything and a game for ~$450. not bad.

i just got my tax return too...

OK, i'm officially jonesing.    :mrgreen:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

tet

oh, and don't skimp and buy the 'regular' 360 for $299, thinking you are saving money.  the hard drive alone is worth the upgrade, and as a bonus you get the wireless controller.  i am still concerned about the small HD size, as it is only 20 GB, but i have a feeling a new one will be released soon, and we'll somehow be able to transfer all the game saves between them.  or not.   :roll:
-Phish

tet

Quote from: nab on March 12, 2007, 07:57:39 PM
Can anyone recommend any non-shooters on xbox?  I'm not familiar with the platform at all, but the best games seem to be shooters, a genera I'm not all that fond of myself.

if you're into RPGs, check out Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.  a seriously addictive and amazing game, the best RPG i've ever played in fact.  as i mentioned above, check out Crackdown, it's a really unique game that i certainly was not expecting.  i wanted the Halo 3 beta that came with it :)

sports games are good too, i happen to love that Table Tennis game, which is kinda quirky but def. fun, and there's the usual string of hockey/basketball/football/baseball games that you can get on any console. 
-Phish

tet

Quote from: VA slim on March 12, 2007, 07:58:19 PM

then the "gold pack" with a yr online and a headset is 60, but i could just get a 3 month online for 20 and a headset for 20, but in the long run i'll lose out... though he also showed me this new wireless headset which was dope... they only had aused one, but it is tiny and the mic sits next to your cheek bone and it apparently can pick up your voice through your jaw or somethin--60 new, 35 used--ehhh... i can live without probably.

ugh, stay away from that wireless headset.  trouble, from what i hear.  crackling sound, not constant syncing...  the "wired" headset plugs into your 360 wireless controller, so you are technically wireless anyway, u just have a wire running from your head to the controller.  i've never had a problem with that setup, ever.  the wireless headset is really just asking for problems.
-Phish

nab

I've heard good things about the Elder Scrolls series.  I'll be looking to upgrade my console within a year or so; not a major concern of mine.  Just testing the waters.  I hear a lot of good things about xbox, but I've been a playstation guy for quite a while now.  Hard to let go I guess.  Does xbox 360 play games from earlier xbox incarnations?

tet

Quote from: nab on March 12, 2007, 08:05:31 PM
I've heard good things about the Elder Scrolls series.  I'll be looking to upgrade my console within a year or so; not a major concern of mine.  Just testing the waters.  I hear a lot of good things about xbox, but I've been a playstation guy for quite a while now.  Hard to let go I guess.  Does xbox 360 play games from earlier xbox incarnations?

yes, some.  the 360 is a PowerPC platform, the old one was x86 based.  kinda ironic, when Apple did the exact opposite in the last year...  so there is a software emulation layer that allows you to play some older games.  certainly not all of them, and a lot of good ones are missing.  the update the software for it every few months, so keep an eye on this list for what is available: 

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm
-Phish

nab

Quote from: tet on March 12, 2007, 08:31:20 PM
yes, some.  the 360 is a PowerPC platform, the old one was x86 based.  kinda ironic, when Apple did the exact opposite in the last year...  so there is a software emulation layer that allows you to play some older games.  certainly not all of them, and a lot of good ones are missing.  the update the software for it every few months, so keep an eye on this list for what is available: 

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Good to know.  If I did switch over, I wouldn't be stuck buying all new games then.

jedifunk

lol... i just spent most of my day setting up my new HDTV for play with my 360...

man, 360 on HD is SICK!!!  i have only tried Winning XI on the TV thus far, but i've got a new GRAW2 in my bag that i just havent unwrapped yet... i was waiting for you slim!

thats funny that you looked at selling your PS2... i just did that last week to pay for GRAW2 (which you get an extra 20% off if you trade stuff in to buy it)..

i got $80 for an original day 1 release ps2 with the network adapter, 2 controllers, mem card, and 6 games, most of them old...

come on over to the 360... guarantee you wont be disappointed...
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio