News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcider

Backyard Tire Fire, Bockman, & Chicago Farmer @ Castle Theater in Bloomington, couple weeks ago.

before that, Von Frickle at the same venue, months ago.

before that, you have to go back to last fall, when I saw SFA and Jean-Luc Ponty, Stanley Clarke, & Bela Fleck (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

i don't get out enough.

going to see Wiplot next week, and MSM&W in December.

jonyem

Early September saw Matt Costa and Great Big Sea at Bumbershoot, and will be going to see Amos Lee in Seattle December 10th. Hopefully Deadwood Revival sometime before the year is over. Having largely differing musical tastes, my fiancé and I can't agree on shows.

flow00

10/21: Trey in Ann Arbor. Decent show with some great moments.
10/31: The People. A Detroit jam band that covered a Phish album for Halloween.
11/2: Johnny Lang. I'm not a fan and didn't like the show. Still had a blast with friends.

crnl4bn

vegoose!
clapton - birmingham, AL
cheese - ashville, NC
AmonTobin - NYC (Rocks Off Cruise)
http://db.etree.org/flavaflav

This opportune physical form
Is worth more than a wish-granting gem.
You only gain its like the once.
So hard to get, so easily destroyed,
It's like a lightning bolt in the sky.

Contemplate this, and you will realize
All worldly actions are but winnowed chaff,
And night and day you must
Extract some essence from your life.
I, the yogi, practiced this way;
You, wanting liberation, do the same!

- Lord Tsongkhapa, King of the Dharma

ucusty

Quote from: crnl4bn on November 03, 2006, 12:36:07 PM
vegoose!
clapton - birmingham, AL
cheese - ashville, NC

heady

ytowndan

Haven t been to any shows in over 3 months :cry: ......But my last one was a good one
G.R.A.B. 7-19-06 Cleveland, Oh
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Casey Lenahan

Saw:
Zappa Plays Zappa (Fucking amazing)
Moe. (saw them 2 nights in a row but the 3rd night got cancled due to snow which is being rescheduald)
Ratdog for the 699th show and 700th show  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and the show before and after

Going to go see:
Disco Buscits
Trey
Bruce Hornsby
I owe Aug $20

Casey Lenahan

Quote from: crnl4bn on November 03, 2006, 12:36:07 PM
vegoose!
clapton - birmingham, AL
cheese - ashville, NC

Hey crnl4bn did you hear that Nershi quit String Cheese?
I owe Aug $20

mattstick

I'm going to see this tonight:

WIRED FOR SOUND

CHRIS CUTLER, JON ROSE, ZEENA PARKINS, JOHN OSWALD & ILAN VOLKOV
GLASGOW CITY HALLS
SATURDAY 4 NOVEMBER, 7.30PM
FREE TICKETS: 0141 353 8000 (or on door)

The sight of the massed ranks of a symphony orchestra in full flow is one of the greatest in all music, but prepare yourself for one of the strangest. John Oswald's Concerto For Wired Conductor requires that the conductor wear electronic sensors that create musical sounds based on his movements. When that conductor is Ilan Volkov, expect sparks to fly.

This is just one piece in a free evening of groundbreaking music to be presented by the BBC SSO at the City Halls on Saturday 4 November as part of a recording for BBC Radio 3's new music programme Hear And Now. They are joined by Chris Culter, the legendary drummer, performer and composer with experimental rock-group Henry Cow,  Jon Rose, violin prodigy turned improviser extraordinaire, Zeena Parkins, composer and pioneer of the electric harp, and Canadian composer and saxophonist, John Oswald. Collectively these musicians have collaborated, and torn down musical barriers, with the likes of Björk, Robert Wyatt, Yoko Ono, John Zorn and John Cage.

Volkov is also the soloist in the premiere of Cutler's P53-3, in which the entire BBC SSO is his 'instrument'. Collectively, the ensemble re-imagines, transforms and ultimately sets free fragments of Wagner, Debussy and Stravinsky into new sonic worlds. Volkov's dual role is akin to a club DJ: the musical excerpts are discs and the orchestra the decks, where the music is mixed, fragmented, combined and transformed on a whim to create a backdrop of startling new sounds for the other soloists.

Expect harmony, exhilaration, failure, improvisation, sampling, synchronicity, dialogue, one-upmanship, clashes, beauty, musical mind-games and aural tantrums.

This is an intense new direction for Volkov and the BBC SSO and will take the entire ensemble to some surprising new places.

Hicks

Cut Chemist/ Lyrics Born/ Pigeon John  10/22/06
Crystal Ballroom

sick show.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

disco

disco biscuits comin up, can't wait :banana:

last attended, galactic, september
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

grewich

Quote from: ikki on November 04, 2006, 05:21:17 AM
Crystal Ballroom

sick show.

isnt pigeon john awesome live?....my goodness full of energy and grabs the audience...saw him with lyrics born last year-ish....
in your face

mattstick

Quote from: mattstick on November 04, 2006, 02:34:44 AM
WIRED FOR SOUND

CHRIS CUTLER, JON ROSE, ZEENA PARKINS, JOHN OSWALD & ILAN VOLKOV
GLASGOW CITY HALLS
SATURDAY 4 NOVEMBER, 7.30PM
FREE TICKETS: 0141 353 8000 (or on door)

The sight of the massed ranks of a symphony orchestra in full flow is one of the greatest in all music, but prepare yourself for one of the strangest. John Oswald's Concerto For Wired Conductor requires that the conductor wear electronic sensors that create musical sounds based on his movements. When that conductor is Ilan Volkov, expect sparks to fly.

This is just one piece in a free evening of groundbreaking music to be presented by the BBC SSO at the City Halls on Saturday 4 November as part of a recording for BBC Radio 3's new music programme Hear And Now. They are joined by Chris Culter, the legendary drummer, performer and composer with experimental rock-group Henry Cow,  Jon Rose, violin prodigy turned improviser extraordinaire, Zeena Parkins, composer and pioneer of the electric harp, and Canadian composer and saxophonist, John Oswald. Collectively these musicians have collaborated, and torn down musical barriers, with the likes of Björk, Robert Wyatt, Yoko Ono, John Zorn and John Cage.

Volkov is also the soloist in the premiere of Cutler's P53-3, in which the entire BBC SSO is his 'instrument'. Collectively, the ensemble re-imagines, transforms and ultimately sets free fragments of Wagner, Debussy and Stravinsky into new sonic worlds. Volkov's dual role is akin to a club DJ: the musical excerpts are discs and the orchestra the decks, where the music is mixed, fragmented, combined and transformed on a whim to create a backdrop of startling new sounds for the other soloists.

Expect harmony, exhilaration, failure, improvisation, sampling, synchronicity, dialogue, one-upmanship, clashes, beauty, musical mind-games and aural tantrums.

This is an intense new direction for Volkov and the BBC SSO and will take the entire ensemble to some surprising new places.

Just got back from the symphony - seeing Volkov's orchestral improvisation was very interesting.  He would hold up signs with letters and numbers and the orchestra would play a section from a composition which corresponded - he used this in a rather intruiging way having only parts of some compositions (just the strings from a Debussy number, just the percussion from a Wagner peice, etc).

It was often chaotic and never really found any kind of interesting space - the other improvisers he played with were mostly atonal and arrythmyic which held everything back, imo.

The "wired for sound" section in the first half was similar in that the conductor was triggering samples while conducting an arranged peice - less improvisation but more pleasing to the ear - especially when you would hear sections from some of the more famous peices of classical music.

It was interesting to hear John Oswald's "plunderphonics" applied to classical music in a live/concert hall setting.  He spoke afterwards and was very engaging.

All in all a cool free event - I'm glad I went.

Hicks

Quote from: grewich on November 04, 2006, 07:57:41 AM
Quote from: ikki on November 04, 2006, 05:21:17 AM
Crystal Ballroom

sick show.

isnt pigeon john awesome live?....my goodness full of energy and grabs the audience...saw him with lyrics born last year-ish....

Yeah he's great, the first time we saw him for his entire set he was doing this schtick where he kept talking about how he was such a big loser and he was going to blow his brains out as soon as he left the stage.  But of course the crowd was feeling his beats and rhymes so by the end of the set he was proclaiming how we had saved his life by convincing him that he wasn't completely worthless.  Funny stuff, and a very unique hip hop performance compared to the usual boasting and whatnot. 

This last time the shit was getting so hot that his lap top leaped from the chair it was sitting on to the floor of the stage! Thankfully, the show continued once he rebooted it. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Casey Lenahan

Quote from: disco on November 04, 2006, 07:43:41 AM
disco biscuits comin up, can't wait :banana:

last attended, galactic, september

Where you going to see Diso at?
I owe Aug $20