News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Disco Biscuits Thread

Started by disco, January 08, 2007, 01:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on January 10, 2007, 03:08:18 PM
Whoooops!  I really do have that show in the doldrums of memory.  Here is where I was first introduced:

Holy shit.  We were at the same show!  I was the fat kid dancing crazily (seriously.)

gainesvillegreen

Well, how 'bout them apples!?!?

I remember very little other than the music was a waste of time for me personally in my humble opinion but I do respect othuz who like the DB but it really ain't for me yaknow but I's glad you likes it 'n shit.   :-D 

Stage was smaller than all get out, room wasn't very big either (making the volume level gargantuan).  Tiny bar at the entry of the place I believe?  I was there with my wife (girlfriend at the time who lived there for a few months) and her friend.  I remember thinking, "Shit, I think I should just go.  But, they want to stay.  Hmmm...OK, I drove, so I can't leave...but I GOTTA GET OUT OF THIS PLACE!!".

I was in the minority.  People were going apeshit in that place that night.   

fauxpaxfauxreal

Yeah.  That's my neighborhood hangout.  Here's a list of the bands I saw for the first time there...

Sound Tribe Sector Nine (back when they were "Sector Nine" not "Sound Tribe")
Lake Trout (during their Avant Garde free form period)
viperHouse (both with and without Heloise Williams)
Yonder Mountain String Band (opening for Snake Oil Medicine Show which was one of Mike's fave N.C. bands)
moe.
String Cheese Incident

I litterally live 5 minutes walking distance from the joint. 

You're discription is spot on...during the day it was a restaurant.  They had a small (but posh...glossy wood, brass, etc.) bar at the very front....the stage was in the back of the room and it was boxy and small...the floor (if you remember) was like a faux carpeting made of a rubberish material.  They had a waitress that would circulate on the floor during the bands to bring you drinks.  I saw so many awesome shows in that joint it was retarded.  Jack Straw's sold itself to another bar "Jackalope Jack's".  I was at their last show which was in early 2000.  If you walked into there now, you'd be so surprised.  It's an "upscale" bar and grill with a great beer selection, and awesome karaoke on thursdays (me and my friends can be found there every thursday in the karaoke section).  They have Golden Tee, Shuffle Board, Pool Tables, Foosball and an internet juke box.  Good times.

The bar next door is called "The Philosopher's Stone" and is owned by the people that owned Jack Straw's.  The Philosopher's stone is where I go to hang out, watch football and see free hippy bands play.

Small effing world man.

And yes that 98 show was SUPER SICK.

Gumbo72203

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on January 10, 2007, 03:08:18 PM
Whoooops!  I really do have that show in the doldrums of memory.  Here is where I was first introduced:

you know...  i really wish i could trade places with you.  That show looks so sick, especially for the time period.  Because i really like their debut album, Uncivilized Area, because its not the whole tranced-out techno stuff they did later (i dont like full-blown electronica).  And this show is from that time period, meaning they must have played I-Man in its original arrangement, not the techno version they started to do later (and, extremely unfortunately if i might add, still do).  

See, this is where i think the Disco Biscuits are cool.  Uncivilized Area is an awesome studio CD.  I love it.  I actually prefer the studio I-Man to any live version that ive heard yet.  They're a jamband who pulled off a great studio CD, and i give them props for that.  Although the songs that are on there have blossomed into huge mammoth anthems:  Morph Dusseldorph (check out the Wind at 4 to Fly version), Little Betty Boop, and Memphis.  

the thing i like about early Disco Biscuits is that they had a ton of different style's of songs/music they wrote.  Like, Memphis doesn't sound a thing like I-Man or Morph Dusseldorph, and vice versa.  But i do like the stuff they've written after, like Basis For A Day, Pat and Dex, Little Shimmy In A Conga Line, Astronaut.  

when i saw them for the first time (first time i ever WENT to a jamband show, i believe, and also the first time id ever even heard the Disco Biscuits) they encored with Astronaut > Run Like Hell > Astronaut, and the whole place went absolute APESHIT at that segue.  Soo smooth.  And well played.  I mean, it also had the added live element of their totally amazing light show (the best around now, easy.  maybe even better than Trey) where they kind of copied Pink Floyd, where it was all dark with white strobe light stuff going on between verses and stuff where they would illuminate the singer for each verse, going back and forth for each verse, leaving everything else in complete darkness.  Kinda hard to explain in words i guess.  

but that brings up another thing i like about the Disco Biscuits.  I love that they cover tons of Pink Floyd.  I got Have A Cigar the last time they were here in May.  I donno, it could be because of the generational difference; Phish is the previous generation, covering songs from when they were kids, whereas the Disco Biscuits are from my generation, sort of i guess, because they only got started in the late 90's, and even had a big hiatus inbetween.  

but i think a lot of people completely skip over the fact that they have lots of crazy prog-esque changes and odd time signature stuff, and that they can actually sing.  Songs like Kitchen Mitts (for prog craziness), Basis For A Day (harmony vocals), World Is Spinning (great harmony singing), and Story of The World.  Another cool thing i like about the Disco Biscuits is that their songs have a shitload of words to them, and ive never seen or heard them flub anything (granted my exposure isn't all thaaat broad)

anyway, im done.  time to play guitar before work
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

fauxpaxfauxreal

Heh gumbo, if you liked that show...you would have killed to see the shows I saw in the spring of 99....

Southeast in the Nine Nine was a great time.

Smoking bowls with the band in the early afternoon (morning for all of us) watching bad tv in days inns while marc would chastise Bernstein for not wearing deodorant.

Good times.

emay

Disco Biscuits at Snoe.Down!  :banana:

disco

Some really get music came out of 99, 99 and 2002 are some of their better years. Check out 10/5/02 from the Haymaker Fesitval, or anything from Oct 02 for that matter. Another classic is the two night stand at the Mish in 02, july 26 & 27. Kinda like one big show, it just took them two nights to finish. Set 3 on night one is some of my favorite bisco.
..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

disco

PALLINDROME
a word or a group of letter that is read frontwards and backwards the same

these apply to music as well, for example the strange sounding stuff about a minute into Divided Sky is a pallindrome, the notes are played forward then backward

A>B>C>C>B>A

the biscuits also do this with their setlists, 7-26-02 is a good example:

2002-07-26 - Mishawaka Amphitheater - Bellvue, CO 

1: Nughuffer > Helicopters 1, Triumph > Svenghali 1, The Tunnel > Spectacle
2: Jigsaw Earth 2 > Kitchen Mitts 3 > Above The Waves > Crystal Ball > Aquatic Ape 4 > Crystal Ball
3: Story of the World > King of the World > And the Ladies Were the Rest of the Night > Above The Waves > Bazaar Escape > And the Ladies Were the Rest of the Night > King of the World > Story of the World

1 Ending only. 2 With 'Cleaning Out The Closet' (Eminem) tease. 3 First time played. 4 Inverted version.   

2002-07-27 - Mishawaka Amphitheater - Bellvue, CO 

1: Spraypaint Victory 1 > Above The Waves 2, Shem-Rah Boo > I Remember When , Spacebirdmatingcall 3 > Vassillios 4 > Jigsaw Earth 2
2: Bernstein and Chasnoff > Sound 1 > Bernstein and Chasnoff , Plan B , I-Man > The Tunnel 2, Svenghali 5 > Triumph 2 > Whiskey River 6
E: Frog Legs > Helicopters 5 > Nughuffer 2

1 First time played. 2 Completes 7/26 version. 3 With 'The Thieving Magpie' (Rossini) tease. 4 Inverted version. 5 Dyslexic completion of 7/26 version. 6 Willie Nelson cover, first time played. 

and if you look at both shows together, it has a very pallindrome like feel or "a tricky little riddle" as the band describes it

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

mattstick

I went to a party in NY somewhere while on summer tour in '99 (after PNC I think) and guys from the Disco Biscuits were there... I had no idea who they were and did'nt really care but the party was a lot of fun.

rowjimmy

Haymaker 02 is the only time I ever saw the disco Biscuits and, they bored me.

mattstick

Similarily I thought I would be open minded and checked out the Umphrey's/Bisco thing at Bonnaroo '06.  I was unimpressed by both bands.  I arrived mid-way through Umphrey's and left when tDB started a techno-inspired jam on The Who's Pinball Wizard.

mattstick

Were the Disco Biscuits at one time exclusively a Phish cover band, or did they just play a few Phish songs?

Gumbo72203

Im almost 100% positive they just played some Phish songs, just as somethin to do.  Ive never heard anything anywhere about them starting out as a "cover band" proper.  Most bands start out only playing covers anyway.  We did.  Its really the only way to figure out what you're good at and what your musical abilities and potential are.

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mattstick

And they've asked people not to trade those tapes, is that also correct?

Gumbo72203

Well, all i know about that is from what ive read here.  I had never known about the no-trading policy for stuff pre 1998(?).  I just knew there were never any tapes from those shows, unfortunately.  Try discobiscuits.net   its got everything you could ever want there; its exactly like phish.net except with more cool features