News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

ear buds

Started by sls.stormyrider, April 20, 2012, 11:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roggae

I've owned many high end earbuds including the original ec5 by shure and the super fi and triple fi by UE. In my opinion the shure SE 215(http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-models/se215-sound-isolating-earphones) are the best earbud I've ever owned. They are great in the gym, on the plane, or lounging around the house. I might be particular to the "Shure" sound but I spent a long time testing other IEMs and the construction/sound/value of these won hands down. Shure also has great customer service. They might replace your old ones or repair them for a nominal fee.
Clearly it's all awful.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: roggae on April 26, 2012, 10:10:02 AM
I've owned many high end earbuds including the original ec5 by shure and the super fi and triple fi by UE. In my opinion the shure SE 215(http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-models/se215-sound-isolating-earphones) are the best earbud I've ever owned. They are great in the gym, on the plane, or lounging around the house. I might be particular to the "Shure" sound but I spent a long time testing other IEMs and the construction/sound/value of these won hands down. Shure also has great customer service. They might replace your old ones or repair them for a nominal fee.

I'll second the Shures. I travel a shitload and they are fantastic on the plane. I prefer the "sound-isolating" to "noise-cancelling" by a mile. I actually have SE's and I like to detach the cable for take-off and landing so flight attendants can clearly see they are not plugged into any device and they'll leave me alone. I usually fall asleep as soon as they pressurize the cabin and wake up at take-off. I sleep right through all the BS announcements. I can't hear them. I can't hear the idiot behind me flirting with the girl next to him. I can't hear the baby screaming across the isle. All this without having anything powered on that they can make me shut off. Then, once we are in the air I connect them to my ipad a listen to whatever at a really reasonable volume because it's already so quiet in my ears.

Plus, the Shures come with a bunch of different ear bud options... there has to be one that's comfortable for you. I can't see how there wouldn't be. Personally, I like the super-soft foamy ones. Their not good for running or hiking or whatever... they're good for sitting still on a plane. I use cheap Sony ear-buds if I'm doing something active... usually I want to be able to hear what's going on around me along with my music if I'm doing something active, so that's good.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: roggae on April 26, 2012, 10:10:02 AM
Shure also has great customer service. They might replace your old ones or repair them for a nominal fee.
they were very nice at customer service. if I sent them my old ones and a check for $101 + tax, they would send me a new pair of the current model that replaced the EC3.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

I hear people like v-moda's.  I have Ultimate Ears and I love them.  I have the giant bass ones so they don't fit in my ear as well as I would like (the cables go over the ear) and the look goofy, but they are dope for the plane.  They sound amazing andblock out all ambient sound.  For exercise or anything besides the plane, I pretty much just use one of the 10 pairs of Apples or cheapo ($15) Sonys that I have and they do the trick...

tet

just ordered a birthday present for myself to replace my aging Shure e4's - ended up deciding on the the Shure E315, and grabbed the iPhone control cord as well, even though i've heard mixed reviews on the quality of that accessory.  they should arrive in a couple of days so i'll post more of an update once i've had a chance to enjoy them, but i'm really excited to be getting new buds finally...
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

sls.stormyrider

update in the Kliptch - had them for about 6 weeks or so, just came back from vaca and used them on a flight.

they sound great. very full. comfortable. sound isolating  - no problem on a plane at all.

the only negative is that I had to periodically readjust them to keep the seal, which IMO is the nature of the beast. How often depended on what I was doing - not so often if I was sitting on a plane, a little more if I was out in the yard doing stuff and sweating. Had a similar issue with my Shures - less so when I started using the foam but they got uncomfortable over long periods of time.

overall, happy with the purchase.
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Waterbeds

^do they stay in your ear well? I have ended up in the a similar siuation where my beloved Beat's have become worthless, im eyeing these altec Lansing Muzx earbuds, but for some reason most earbuds just cannot stay in my ear even with the replacment gels....

sls.stormyrider

depends on what I'm doing. Sitting on a plane, no problem. Walking around, the same. Doing yard work and sweating - they don't fall out but I need to adjust them more frequently. I keep meaning to contact customer support to see if they have any advice - they make flanged tips in different sizes that may help.