News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Analogman Comprosser vs. Ross Compressor

Started by MiamiPhish, February 10, 2009, 02:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiamiPhish

Just wondering if anyone has played both Analogman's comprossor (ross clone) and the original Ross compressor?

I suppose it's not so likely anyone has, but if someone has, did you prefer the original or the modern version?  Any noticeable differences?

Word

jephrey

I haven't played both (have the Ross), but the schematics are near identical... 

People think that if you use better components, you'll get better sound - others think that if you use the same 5% components in the original that you'll get something more natural...  My take is that it's the same.  I think even the transistors are exactly the same.  The jacks on the Ross are cheap and the power jack is like an 1/8" instead of the traditional power jacks on pedals.  Looking on the inside, it's pretty damn basic.  I'm not sure about the switching circuitry (which has to be good so there's no pop) but it's fine on the Ross and I'm sure the same or better on Analogman's.  I think it's worth a try at least, but I do like having something "vintage".

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Caravan2001

I had both for a long time.  After having the Comprosser for about a year, I sold the Ross (which I had for 5 years) because I could not tell the difference and got $300 for the Ross on ebay.  Plus I thought the comprosser would be more reliable on the road/gigging.  I bought two comprossers, I just have one boxed for a backup.  That being said, i also have the analog man orange squeezer compressor, which rules.  I use that more than the comprosser, but when I bought that they did not have the bi-comprosser, which has both.  get that if you are shopping for one.  Mike makes great pedals and they sound spot on.  I also sold my TS808 after switching to the analog man tubescreamers.....hope that helps

MiamiPhish

Caravan,

Do you use one, or two tubescreamers?  I've got an analogman TS-9/808 Silver, and I'm thinking about getting another distortion box so that I can have one on a mild-crunch setting and the other at full scream.. any advice here?  Should I just save up for another 9/808 silver, or I was considering giving one of the Boss or Maxon moded pedals a try - ever try them out? (DS-1 or Super/Sonic Disortion, what have you)

Also, what are you using for a phaser?  I thought the MXR phase 90 would sound nice after the R28 mod, but I'm still not real happy with the sound.. it just isnt very transparent at all, you can hear when it comes on and I think it messes with the delicate attack you can hear on clean and through a screamer.  (I also use a Fender Reverb Deluxe)

As for the compressor, I'm gonna save for a Bi-Comp or even a reg. Comprossor.

Anyways, thanks for the help.  I'm always down to talk gear.