News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R5/W08: 11-15-1996 Kiel Center, St. Louis, MO

Started by G. Augusto, October 26, 2008, 08:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Augusto

For the last week of Round Five, all members received my pick on DVD.
I figured I would take the Show Club to the next level by both listening and watching a great show.
The classic "M" show is what appeared in a half dozen mailboxes.

QuotePHiSH - 11/15/96
Kiel Center - St. Louis, MO

source: Schoeps CMC6/MK41 > Beyer MV-100 > SBM-1 > D7
transfer: Casio DA-R100 > M-Audio 24/96 via Coax SPDIF > Wavelab (fades, normalize, sample rate conversion) > CD-WAV > SHNv3

transfer by shakedown@furthurnet.org on 10/16/03

DISC ONE
set I:
01. pre-show music/applause
02. Wilson
03. The Divided Sky
04. Bouncin'
05. Character Zero
06. Punch You in the Eye
07. Prince Caspian
08. Ginseng Sullivan
09. Trainsong
10. Chalkdust Torture
11. Taste
12. Cavern

DISC TWO
set II:
01. Makisupa Policeman
02. Maze
03. McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters
04. Split Open and Melt
05. TMWSIY >
06. Avenu Malkenu
07. My Mind's Got a Mind of it's Own
08. Mike's Song
09. Sleeping Monkey
10. Mean Mr. Mustard
11. Weekapaug Groove
encore:
12. Funky Bitch

show notes: Mean Mr. Mustard was a first time played.  Trey announced that the show was brought to you by the letter "M" and the number "420".  John Popper on harmonica for Mean Mr. Mustard.

anomolies: the DAT had digi-noise during Wilson & PYITE, only one one of the 2 channels though; I swapped the left with the noisy right in these spots.

Thanks to Lenny Stubbe for all the sick DATs, please contact me if you have Fall 96 Phish DATs!
-Matt aka shakedown@furthurnet.org

Lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=519046

Lossy:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mvnge3izojg
http://www.mediafire.com/?utmdudmbgj4
http://www.mediafire.com/?j9lrngtyjmx

Enjoy.
a

Submitted reviews

Khalpin
pnchundi
GBL
blatboom
ytowndan
Mr. Minor
August

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mattstick

I love looking back 5 years later at finding typos in my text files...

Another M as this DAT was transferred by Mattstick

blatboom

Quote from: mattstick on October 26, 2008, 09:56:25 PM

I love looking back 5 years later at finding typos in my text files...

Another M as this DAT was transferred by Mattstick

nice

The show club is going 2-D!!  thanks again a.

GBL

Im interested to hear what ppl think about this show.. I watched it a few weeks back with a few friends and was kinda unimpressed.

It will be nice to give it a real listen/watch later.. Thanks again Augusto!
If this is love, I'm never going home..

pnchundi

mad props to A for getting this one out on vid.  It was great to watch a show and not just listen to it.  The camera work is ok, basically just one view and the whole band is not always on screen, but the camera is steady.  They did a great job syncing the audio to the video too as it is about seamless.   And mad LOLs to Mike's pance.

wilson- nice dark wilson to start things off
/sky- i love getting this early on as it sets a serious tone for the evening.  This is a great sky too, the early composed sections are well played, and it is cool to see what happens during the pause.  Great energy and fire from all and Trey kills
bouncin- pretty standard but solid
character zero- wow this one shreds.  nice to see it in the middle of a set and not just as a closer
punch- great.  page and trey have nice interplay
caspian- this song is good.  Why do i have such a weird opinion of it? Its short sweet and has a powerful end
ginseng- a little bluegrass shuffle
trainsong- not sure we needed this but it sounds good
chalkdust- picking things right back up.  Trey's on fire
taste- i like how this stretches out a little.  great playing by all, especially fish and page
cavern- another rocker

First set really only has one jammed out tune, but the sky is so blissful that its okay.  The setlist is a little long on paper, but at the same time there are so many straight up rockers and trey is on point

makisupa- nice little groove, a chance to get fired up for the rest of the set
maze- this is more like it.  the maze is long and twisty and i got thoroughly lost.   
mcgrupp- love this tune and this is a great version
melt- the intensity keeps going.  this veers off the road and keeps going through the underbrush. 
tmwsiy>avenu- i like the flow of this set, something intense followed by something challenging yet still keeping up the energy
myminds- its mikes turn now.  this seems played even faster than normal
mikes- Just stop now.  This might be the best Mikes ever.  Mike is full of fire and fish is pounding the drums.  But the jam that they go into? The tits.  Does not even sound like Mike, damn good.
monkey- a little silly but they needed to break things up
mean mr mustard- brought to you by the letter M and the number 420.  Demented little number made even crazier with John Popper. 
weekapaug- Popper actually brings a lot to this jam, and he and trey go back and forth a couple of times

funky bitch- they are just cruising along having good times

What a great show! The Divided stands out head and shoulders above everything else in the first set, but it is anchored securely by several robust rockers.   The second set is what phish is about- breath taking jams, twists and turns within familiar songs that make you throw out the rulebook, great covers and a solid guest performer who not only holds his own but makes the band sit up and take notice.  And the jam after Mikes is fantastic.  Fall 96 was patchy for me, setlists ran a little too long and they had trouble finding the balance between fast and slow songs, but this night is tops.  Solid A.

G. Augusto

Wilson - Mike's rockin' the Glitter a la 12-06-1996.

Sky - Bam! Right atcha! Remember when Trey had a clean tone? Such an awesome sustain...Fish is on Fire! Really just a note-perfect version with Trey giving the fist pump.

Bouncing - Another note-perfect tune.

Zero - I *LUV* the '96 versions with the extra refrain section. High energy with the crowd eating it up. Trey is rockin' some cool licks in between verses which is pretty radical. Fish = FIYA. Short and rocking with the harmony outro.

PYITE - Solid. Nice page solo.

Caspian - I like the '95's a Little more. They nail the outro.

Ginseng - Nice Page solo.

Train - Another Mike tune...

Chalk - Picking it up. Dissonant jam with areally nice peak.

Taste - It looked like Trey threw this in as he leaned over to Fish real quick. I actually really dig this version. Short 'N Sweet. Trey goes OFF during the end sections and then they proceed to nail the end change.

Cavern - To close.

On paper, this set does nothing for me. It's these kinds of sets that always kill me, however. Just straight, solid playing by the band. I also like that there was no mini-kit by Trey. During Fall '96, he tried to work it into many spots that were kind of awkward. Great set.

Makisupa - Always a good sign as an opener. Stink Kind....Leo breakdown with mini-kit. Spaces out into >>>

Maze - Fall '96 = Maze. Great lights during Trey's section, which is badass. Very nice peak.

McGrupp - Solid. As always, a nice solo by Page. Finished. One of 4 in '96.

Split - In that rare second set spot. It didn't appear again in a second set until 07-15-1999. This one is relentless! After two big tunes,  the jam starts out with much focus. Buncha little peaks all over with one giant one to close it out.

MWS - Avenu - Flawless. lways loved Mike's solo. One of 3 from 1996.

MY Mind - It's got one.

Mike's - Brad looks young! Meaty tramps section. Does Trey have an extremely sweaty ass?! Chris proceeds to blow up the smoke machine after the tramps section. Jam mellows out a bit and then Trey gets funky with the wah. Killer lights going on...With one bend, they're right back in the Mike's. Fish drops a stick...Really intensifies toward the end. Brad brings out some lyric cards. Spaces out into >>>

Monkey - Nice cooldown.

Mustard - 1st and only time played. I love it when Popper hobbles out and then throws off his cape.

Week - Right into it! Throws off the cape and goes off! He kinda drowns Trey out, though. I like how they go back into the "Sharing in the Weekapaug Groove" refrain after the jam. Short and cool with some hugs by John. TOns of lighters before the encore.

Bitch - Trey has some cool leads with that wah funk.

Overall, a SOLID night on Fall Tour '96.
A big A from me.
a

Bobafett

i haven't heard this one in years, since the analog days and the quality was SHI shut yo mouth.  thanks for this one, even tho i am not signed up to be in y'all s club.  there is a good video of this?>>>hmmmmm.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

lifeboy13

My second show was 11-13-96 so was a lil pissed I wasn't quite hittin out of state shows yett.  The second set has always been one of my Phavorite sets. Was able to watch Mean Mr. Mustard Weekapaug on Youtube last week and it was great too finally see what I've heard soo many times before.  Now I know why the crowd roared a lil louder than they usually do,  Popper was really acting the part, and the Jam was Tremendous.  The first set was nice but sounds like alot from that year. They were really on fire at that point.  the 11-13-96 show I went too was great to be at, but lacks that same vibe just listening to it.  I'm sure My legs would've been rubber after the show if I was there!
Good Day, Every Day!

susep

props to aug for mailing the DV's, nice touch for the showclub.  :clap:

August

Mr Minor

First off, props to Aug for hooking it up.  Great idea, dude.
M show, 420, and Popper.  What a night.  Here goes:

SetI
Wilson- great opener, nice and gritty.  Love the sparkle pants on Mike.  Sweet to see that stuff.
Sky- ahhh, perfection.  Where's Gumbo and his idea of a great Sky, cuz this is one of 'em.  Aug hit it on the head with Trey's tone.  It's friggin perfect.
Bouncing- well played Around the Room.
Character 0- sweet placement.  You know it's gonna be a good jam if it's in the middle of hte show and there should be some more sweetness to come.  Like the energy of this.  Solid zero, especially with the vocal ending.  Don't seem to hear that too often.
PYITE- another interesting placement as this becomes an opener quite often.  Good version.  Page coming alive on the keys.
Caspian- I always enjoy the PC.  Like the building and I like early versions cuz they are tight and have a nice outro jam.
Ginseng- luv the bluegrass.  Moving along nicely.
Trainsong- I like Mike tunes.  This one always does it for me.  Nice moment to relax before
Chalk Dust- nice and ripping.  Like the jam, gets almost crazy
Taste- I figured Chalk Dust was the end but they wanted to do a couple more, so that's cool with me.  Trey got excited from Chalk Dust and wanted to go off a little more- and he does!
Cavern- closer. solid.  Take care of your shoes cuz the second set will blow your sox off.

Set II:
Makisupa- quite an opener, really sets the toke, I mean tone. 
Maze- nice and dirty, love the dark and stanky jam.  Gets the set going on a train to nutzville
McGrupp- slows it down again.  Page tears it up again.  Always there, just doing his thing
Split- my brain open and it's melts.  Nice jam, builds to that great peak!! Awesome split!
MWS>Avenue- nice.  very tight an together.  When Mike is on, this song rips and he is so it does.
My Mind- settle it down for a minute.  Get a breath. 
Mike's- and here we go.  Crazy jam they go into.  Take it away from Mike's just long enough to blow your mind and then it's back.  Top notch version!  And into>
Monkey- always fun to hear Fish sing.
Mean Mr.- cool cover.  Great intro for Popper- I love how they extend the ending for him to come out and WHAM-O>
Week4paug- ripping it up with Popper makes this version a highlight.  Maybe not the best version ever, but what a moment! 

E: Funky- and that bitch is funky.  Trey tearing it up with the wah wah, sounds great.  They decided to keep the energy going and it works.

Great pick!  Definitely a A/A+ show.  First set is solid and sounds so much better than it looks on paper.  the second set is ridiculous and pushes everything over the edge.  Great '96 show!

birdman

This was my dogs first show!
While my future wife an I were walking our dog down the street near the Keil center we were confronted by a cop. He sternly told us we couldnt walk our dog on the sidewalk. Well, my wife just blew up on him, basically telling him to go to hell and that we could walk our dog anywhere we damn well pleased. I was ready to deny knowing who my girlfriend was when the cop sheepishly agreed that she was right and he apologized! :-o
I give the show an A.
Paug FTMFW!

blastoplast

This is the only show my wife and I had a ticket for and didn't go.  Brilliant decision, eh?  There were circumstances, like some dude's camper with "Peace Pilgrim" across the front that ruined our night after the concert in MN because he hit my friends car and then lied to the cops and insurance company about the whole incident.  Maybe the "Peace Pilgrim" reads this site.  If so, thanks for screwing us.  I knew he was going to, but we opted to trust him.  Bad decision.

Plus the ridiculous ice storm that hit that night.  Crazy driving!

The kicker is, of course, my wife and I were talking before the MN concert about how cool it would be if John Popper came out and played with Phish while we were seeing shows that tour.  Needless to say, I was bummed when we got home, and I got the tape for the St. Louis show.  BUMMED!

Since then, I have listened to the show a number of times.  I give it a B+/A-.  Excellent show!
If you listen too closely to the sound, you might miss the music.  -Jim Henson

khalpin

Wilson: Gets the crowd into it right from the get-go.

Divided Sky: Not stopping anytime soon.  Way to keep things moving, with an energetic jam to finish it out.  The addition of video may be having some impact.

Bouncing: Getting it out of the way early.

Character Zero: For some reason, this song makes me think of Aerosmith.  This one's short, concise and to the point.

PYitE: I'll take this pretty much anywhere.  Typical goodness.

Caspian: 2 chords for the most part.  Not my cup of tea.

Ginseng: Bluegrass makes its way into the set.

Train Song: Not great for the flow here, but it's a short one.

Chalkdust: A welcome infusion of energy.  Does what it's supposed to do.

Taste: Works well here for me, as I'm quite a fan.  Faster than usual.  Gets pretty dark for a while there.  Trey's rippin' it up.  Everybody's on fire here.  Great version.  I really, really enjoyed this.

Cavern: Set closer.  Trey kind of missed his first chord there.  Otherwise standard.

A bit of a mid-set lull, but otherwise I like it so far..

Makisupa: It's rare that a Makisupa excites me.  Very rare.

Maze: Another one I'll take anywhere.  Hot and rockin'.  Aided by Kuroda, without a doubt.

McGrupp: Solid.  With a nice Page solo.  Finishes out strong.

Melt: Great version.  My first time hearing or watching it.  Being able to see the light show (or at least about 30% of it) made it all the more enjoyable.  The Kuroda factor definitely garners bonus points here.  Definitely worth repeated listens.

TMWSIY>Alvenu>TMWSIY: Always good to hear.  No idea what the hell they're saying but don't really care.  Good stuff.

MMGMOIO: Bluegrass makes its way into the second set.

Mike's: This one's a keeper.  High energy and this sucker builds up some pretty serious heat and is ridiculously intense right up until Fishman drops his drum stick.   

Monkey: Does it's thing.

Mean Mr. Mustard: Great novelty tune, would've been awesome to see live and love how Popper fit into the whole thing.  AWESOME to see on video.  Huge thanks to the taper/transferrer/August and whoever else....

Weekapaug: What a blast this one is.  Pretty much all Popper, and we haven't had too many special guests in the show club.  As far as guest musicians go, this one definitely is one of the better ones. 

Funky Bitch: This song is one of those "made for guest musicians" tunes.  As usual, it works great.  Quite a treat to watch.

Huge thanks to August for the video.  This was a real nice one to see.  Great show that certainly ended on a high note.  Solid A show.