News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 1 - Bathtub Gin - (1) 07-29-98 vs. (4) 12-29-95

Started by runawayjimbo, July 15, 2012, 11:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Round #1 - Bathtub Gin Bracket

(1) 07-29-1998 - Riverport Amphitheater - Maryland Heights, MO

vs.

(4) 12-29-1995 - Worcester Centrum Centre - Worcester, MA

POLLS CLOSE: Monday, 7/23, 10pm EST
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

susep

runawayjimbo

This one's definitely going to be one of the tougher matchups for me.

mistercharlie

I love the Real Gin, but 07-29-98 is my all time favorite phish jam.

The grooving funk that erupts from this Gin is just 100% awesome. It was the perfect way to start a show and halfway through it the boomers I was on really started to take hold and the vivid colors and bright movements of the song (effects of the drugs) are still burned into my brain. Every time I listen to it I am filled with euphoria and get goosebumps. The only other phish jam that brings back the excitement of the show and gives me goosebumps still is the transition from My Left Toe ->Whipping Post from 07-25-99.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

JPhishman

Riverport has it all. I had probably heard it 20+ times thanks to the LP15 filler before I even realized that it opened the show. To say the least I was  :-o :crazy: :-o :crazy: !

If this isn't epic Phish, nothing is.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

WhatstheUse?

Riverpoint by far.

and that's saying something, cause the Real Gin is ser biz.
Bring in the dude!

birdman

I'm going with Worcester on this one. Blew my mind seeing it live. It's hard for me to vote against 95
Paug FTMFW!

khalpin

While the Worcester Gin may have one of the greatest segues of all time, if you take out The Real Me, the Gin doesn't have all that much going for it.  Maybe that's just me, though.

Hicks

Quote from: khalpin on July 17, 2012, 05:37:40 PM
While the Worcester Gin may have one of the greatest segues of all time, if you take out The Real Me, the Gin doesn't have all that much going for it.  Maybe that's just me, though.

Agreed, it's a smooth segue, but in terms of actual improv the Riverport version takes the cake. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

birdman

The segue is what makes it great. You can't separate the two.
Paug FTMFW!

susep

Quote from: Hicks on July 17, 2012, 05:48:30 PM

Agreed, it's a smooth segue, but in terms of actual improv the Riverport version takes the cake.

the funk jam out of The Real Me holds up to 29July98 and is a perfect ex. of how funky Phish could be pre-96/97. 

VDB

The Real Gin is good -- I'm not trying to knock it -- but I've just never gotten really into it like others have. I dunno.

The Riverport Gin starts off with a soaring hose jam that kicks into some nasty techno-funk around 13:00 and really gets real serious around 14:00. Exceptional stuff.
Is this still Wombat?

Superfreakie

Riverport

But even Riverport takes some time before it gets "out there".
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

susep

I love the Riverport Gin however I must expound on how great the jam out of The Real Me is, bust out your FTA from '07 or '08 to hear its breath taking funk. 

runawayjimbo

I listened to these two back to back more than any other pairing in the last week. It's really close for me. As susep and birdman have pointed out Worcester is just so smooth and some great funk from the pre-funk era. But as I listened again to both today, I found myself more often shaking my head (in a good way) to Riverport. Every movement is better than the last and they just flow through it so effortlessly.

Really tough draw for the Real Gin here, but Riverport wins for me.

Also, polls close in about an hour so if you haven't voted or care to change your vote get on it.