News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W07: 08-16-1996 Plattsburgh Air Force Base, Plattsburgh, NY

Started by shoreline99, June 24, 2006, 08:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

I'm gonna post early this week, i have a lot of things to get ready before the baby arrives, but here you all go. enjoy!

PHiSH
8-16-96
Clifford Ball Day 1
Plattsburgh Air Force Base
Plattsburgh, NY

Source: SBD>DAT(99% of the show)
SOAM Sources: AUD SHN(1st minute), 44.1kHz FM DAT For the remainder
Conversion: Tascam DA40 DAT@48kHz > REBA > Wavelab 4.0e > 44.1kHz Wav > CD Wave > SHNv3
**NO DAE WAS INVOLVED**

Disc 1:
Set 1:
01. Chalkdust Torture
02. Bathtub Gin
03. Ya Mar
04. AC/DC Bag
05. Esther
06. Divided Sky

Disc 2:
01. Halley's Comet>
02. David Bowie
Set 2:
03. Split Open & Melt
04. Sparkle
05. Free
06. The Squirming Coil
07. Waste*
08. Talk*
09. Train Song*
10. Strange Design*
11. Hello My Baby*

Disc 3:
01. Mike's Song>
02. Simple>
03. Contact>
04. Weekapaug Groove

Disc 4:
Set 3:
01. Makisupa Policeman>
02. Also Sprach Zarathustra>
03. Down With Disease>
04. NICU
05. Life On Mars
06. Harry Hood
07. E: Amazing Grace

*=acoustic mini-stage setup

#Notes#
To cover the first minute of the FM source for SOAM when the radio DJ was making the station announcement, I used the AUD source that was previously used to cover the entire song. I tried to make this transition as easy on the ears as possible, making the change as close to a "dead spot" as possible. The only "glitch" so to speak on this copy was a fast dropout in David Bowie just before the fast triplet notes at the end (approximately @ 10:29.856). Doing a time based edit (based on the time signature) I did the edit to the best of my abilities, and although it is not perfect it is better than hearing the "crunch" of the dropout....Other than that, this is a flawless representation of the concert....

Seeded 10/14/02 by Mr.Marmar

Sendspace:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5ay0o5

Full Show:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=1494

Marmar's DSBD ;)

One of my favorite shows. 3 sets, and the first of the festivals. Beautiful weather, views of the adirondacks and lake champlain, and great music. Chalkdust, Gin, Bowie, SOAM. Acoustic mini stage. Weekapaug groove. Lots of great memories...

Great opening day... :waynesworldflashback:  :phish:

Discuss while you're listening to the echoes back to the band during David Bowie....
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

jephrey

Sure, give us a 3-set show to listen to  :wink:

I have your review coming up this week.

:beers:
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

shoreline99

didn't we just have that conversation about 3-set shows? ;) :beers:

gainesvillegreen

Divided Sky / Halley's / Bowie to see out set I.....woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sophist

Anybody want the matrix copy???
I can seed it if needed
just pm me and I'll get it up for ya

good choice btw  :-)
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

birdman

WOOT :banana:
   Havent listened to this in awhile...nice pick

Best wishes on the birth! Pics will be mandatory :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers:
Paug FTMFW!

shoreline99

Quote from: phan003 on June 25, 2006, 05:10:30 PM
Anybody want the matrix copy???
I can seed it if needed
just pm me and I'll get it up for ya

good choice btw  :-)

thanks. you know, i have several copies of this including the FOB, a generic aud copy, this dsbd and the matrix; they are all good in their own way. I decided to post marmar's dsbd because i feel (IMHO) it's the best representation of the show.

and, you still get the kick-ass intro to SOAM from the aud. try playing this show cranked in your headphones and not thinking about how great it was to be there that day...

Hicks

Sweet dude, I can actually weigh in on this one since I don't have to D/L it to my non functioning comp!

Nice pick!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

shoreline99

Artwork for the first day. I have the same artwork for day 2 if anyone wants it. had to dig it out...

birdman

Just finished set I. Pulled out the old XLII FM...old school, Biatch.
I cant say enough about how I feel about this show...this will do, :banana:...yeah thats it
These shows were the conclusion of my second tour and we were all overwhelmed by the immensity of this event. Heaven on earth for us phish heads. The whole gang was present, my lil bro was along for the ride, we caught the soundcheck the night before from our tentsite, which was in the closest section to the field. This weekend was going to be off the hook and we were all ready/
While none of the songs from this first set are "best of" versions all of them rock out in that special way. Its almost as if they were holding back a little during this set, saving the real shit for later in the night.
   Chalkdust, Bathtub, Yamar...perfect opener for a big weekend. All played with a ton of energy, nothing groundbreaking, but I feel that hot sun on my back and that feeling of settling in.
   ACDC another high energy tune. Pumps the energy up another level.
   Esther...Can you say kickdown?
   Divided Sky. Perfect placement. The sun setting over the horizon. Just about perfectly played. The mood is joyous in the crowd. Then ..
   Halleys..nothing amazing, but again perfect placement for a fun little tune.
   Bowie... I was a bit disapointed that they played this so early in the weekend, but it does its job as a solid set closer.

Looking back, this set really was designed perfectly for a show that came with huge expectations. Again, nothing groundbreaking, but youget a little bit of everything. Rarities, goofy songs, and a bunch of high energy tunes. Sets the mood for the twilight hours to come.

Cant wait to listen to set II and III. One of my alltime favorite nigvhts in Phishtory. Again, great pick Shoreline :beers:

Paug FTMFW!

Hicks

Somehow listening to this first set I really get a sense of the vibe at the event, and it's really easy to listen to this one within the context of how it must have played out at the actual show, which I wish I had attended.  Like birdman said, this festival must have been as close to perfection as it gets for the phans, since it was the first time a festival like had ever occurred anywhere and it came off without a hitch as well, and this aspect of the event really comes through in the band's performance. 

Chalkdust:  perfect kick off for what would be a very long weekend filled with great music, a great tone setter and it's usual fun self.

Bathtub:  Some people will tell you this THE Gin, and unfortunatley I've got to disagree.  I'd say it's more of a top twenty Gin rather than a top five version, which is to say it's really good.  A nice groove starts around the 8-9 minute mark, but then it abruptly stops.  I've got to agree with Birdman again and say that they seem to be pacing themselves, which was a wise decision given the late night set and everything else, and that's probably why this one didn't get as jammed as it could have.

Ya Mar:  Another perfect afternoon tune, this one sounded great on a sweltering summer day like today.

AC/DC Bag:  Nice version, you can really here the band picking up the steam that would continue through the rest of the weekend's performances, sort of the unofficial opener if you ask me. 

Esther:  Always a nice treat, I was surprised to notice Trey groping a bit for the lyrics already, but not to the extent that it detracted from the song.  Fishman's singing toward the beginning is funny too.

Divided Sky:  Once again the perfect tune for the time and place, and the playing is nearly flawless.

Halley's:  Still in the songs with jam potential camp at this point, but a nice and tight version nonetheless.

Bowie:  Nothing crazy here, just a solid Bowie to cap a fun little set that I'm sure more than did the trick of getting everyone into the groove of the weekend.  Trey's high pitch squealing is a nice precursor of the insanity to come and it's nice to hear Trey tell the crowd to "Be Safe".

The perfect opening set IMO, nothing too crazy so that the sets after wouldn't seem like a letdown, but still great song selection and well played.  It's a no brainer A level set. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

shoreline99

QuoteSomehow listening to this first set I really get a sense of the vibe at the event, and it's really easy to listen to this one within the context of how it must have played out at the actual show, which I wish I had attended.  Like birdman said, this festival must have been as close to perfection as it gets for the phans, since it was the first time a festival like had ever occurred anywhere and it came off without a hitch as well, and this aspect of the event really comes through in the band's performance.

exactly. it was setting the pace for the whole weekend and really set the bar for all the festivals to follow. too bad they wouldn't let them have a few more shows there. it was awesome. never forget it. i still have a poster from the show.

i saw strangefolk/jbb w/ mike as a guest at the garden of eden in plattsburgh a few years ago. different venue, but it's just a beautiful area to see an outdoor show.

sophist

disc 4 is where the meat is at my friends!
the mikes groove is beyond sick imo. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Alumni

Quote from: ikki on June 26, 2006, 11:58:18 PM
Bathtub:  Some people will tell you this THE Gin, and unfortunatley I've got to disagree.  I'd say it's more of a top twenty Gin rather than a top five version, which is to say it's really good.   

I'll weigh in on this one (naturally). I have to agree. It *might* be my 4th or 5th gin . . . of 1996. Of course, it's also the 2nd song of the first set to open a summer festival, so its role here isn't to anchor the show but to help everyone get off to a good start. And it definitely succeeds at that.

Full review later  :phish:
Cause I got a degree

birdman

Set II was on the menu today..

First off, I should let you all know I consider the next two sets some of the finest music ever played by the boys. Not best ever, but definately up there. While you can find stronger versions of all the songs played this night, few completely shows ever raged like this one.
   Melt...Sweet opener, everybodies up and dancing, night is falling, phish is playing and we have 5 more sets to hear and no where to go in the                           
            meantime
   Sparkle...cant argue with a short energy burst
   Free...Top 3 version for me,  love Treys use of the Jetsound paired with the leslie, try not dancing when listening to this one
   Squirming Coil...perhaps my favorite of all time, not that I have many favs of this song, but this is it for sure. Love that it fell in the midst of
                        the set, so no long piano outro. The interplay between the boys during the slow outro jam is phenomenal, great listening b/t   
                        the boys. One of many highlights for me.
    Acoustic Set...I'd already heard this a few times during the tour, so no big surprises. Ilove the boys on acoustic. Good showcase for the
                        softer side of Phish. Plus provided a breather before the closing monster jam.
    Mikes->Simple...Easily my favorite pairing of these two songs ever. The whole Mikes start to finish is perfect hose material, the boys were
                         on, the stars were aligned and we in the crowd were just drinking it all in.  The segue is not smooth like butter but it goes 
                         down just fine in my book.The simple is short and sweet just the way I like em in my Mikes sandwiches.
     Contact...cute break, big singalong with 80,000+
     Weekapaug...monsterous ending on this one, HUGE. I was covered in goosebumps as trey fanned the HELL out of the  end of the song.
                     Eat your heart out Jerry.Goosebumps all over my body while listening to this. If you dont love this version, you dont love Phish
                    :wink:  Nice solo by Page as well at the tail end. 
I love the crowds reaction when Trey thanks everyone for making the Ball possible. I dont think any of us could believe what we were witnessing. I saw the boys a mere two years earlier with 800 people in a bar in Alabama and here we were among 80,000 screaming phans. We felt like we accomplished something, phish had grown up and we at the coming out party. After this show we had an idea of what future festivals would be like but coming into this we were all virgins and didnt know what to expect. I cant imagine a better first time.   :banana: Things would never be the same again.
Paug FTMFW!