News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Decemberists Thread

Started by shoreline99, September 02, 2008, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

So, any thoughts on the new album?

I've been listing to it quite a bit this week, thanks to streaming from NPR before I found a copy.  This one does for me what I want a Decemberists album to do.  The first couple of listens you like certain songs and not others.  On subsequent listens, you begin to like all the songs as a theme emerges.  Then the whole album sits in your head.

I'm an admitted fan boy and generally lap up everything Meloy writes.  I was first exposed to him at poetry readings in Missoula in the 90s when I had an obsession with becoming a poet myself.  Following Meloy at several of these readings showed me just how far I had to go to really write something unique.  I once made him, and the rest of the audience, sit through a reading of "Celebration of the Lizard" by Jim Morrison.  Fortunately he read next. 

I mention that because his writing brings me back to that time, and for that I probably give him a little leeway.  The shout out to Rimbaud and Baudelaire in "Suckers Prayer" brought me immediately back, as those were very hot writers in those circles at that time.  Also fits with the theme of unrequited love if you know the story of Rimbaud and Baudelaire, and I liked the Virginia Woolf twist.  I also once wrote a long poem to try to win over a girl during this time, and creeped her the fuck out.  Creeps me out to think of it now, and I cringe every time i think of it.  Youth.

The album as a whole is pretty dark, even from the Decemberists perspective.  "Severed" fits well in the age of demagogues.  I liked the synth work in this song and "Cutting Stone" more than I thought I would, but after a year of hearing Page break new ground with the instrument, i was open to it.  "Once in My Life" and "Tripping Along" are my least favorite cuts on the album.  The former is repetitive in a way bested by "Everything is Awful" on the same album.  "Tripping Along" just hasn't grown on me.  "We All Die Young" is a departure from the usual Decemberists sound, but I groove to it, and like the addition of the children's voices, which give it the same creepy effect found on Hazards of Love.  "Rusalka, Rusalka / Wild Rushes" is just another great Decemberists dark love/folk/proggy composition. 

What do you guys think?                 

mistercharlie

I really, really like this new one. I've listened to it every day since my vinyl arrived on Monday. The synth is used nicely throughout and it's a nice addition to the Decemberists sound. It definitely still has the trademark dark and cryptic Colin lyrics but with a poppy twist, I like it.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

khalpin

Decemberists on Facebook Live today.....not sure why the links aren't working.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156196833114655&id=5229624654

ETA: for those not on Facebook:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6x1o6fb8xhtb2bf/Decemberists_03-19-2018.mp4

Quoteeta: I used the code tag for the link to override the media embed so folks could see the dl link.
Click "Select", Copy, then paste the link into a new tab.
-rj

rowjimmy

I'm loving the album. It really does have a dark view of the world but hey, I live in this world and I see it too.
It sounds like The Decemberists without sounding like too much like the other records. The songs are, mostly short, self-contained songs with only two cracking 5minutes ("Once In My Life" is 5:09 and "Rusalka, Rusalka/Wild Rushes" runs just over 8) which gives the impression that the big prog experimentation is still on the shelf. The synth sounds stand out a bit but aren't jarring or unpleasant. Overall, another solid to great record from a consistently dependable band.

mistercharlie

Cutting Stone is quickly becoming my favorite song on the album. It has a very 'Roger Waters' baseline that I love.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

gainesvillegreen

I had no idea they released a new one, I know what I'll be listening to the rest of the week  :music:
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

gah

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on March 20, 2018, 12:42:15 PM
I had no idea they released a new one, I know what I'll be listening to the rest of the week  :music:

i had no idea either...will give it a spin...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

khalpin

A couple questions if any of you happen to know....was any of the Hazards of Love tour captured on video?  I haven't been able to track anything down but thought I'd throw the question out there.  Obviously not talking about cell phone footage, but actual pro-shot video.  Also, I remember they played a killer version of The Wanting Comes In Waves on the old Colbert Report but that was on my old DVR that has since died.  It seems everywhere I've looked, the videos have been blocked for copyright infringement.  Anyone happen to have a copy of that one lurking anywhere?  Couldn't find anything on the hubs.

mistercharlie

Did anyone here order the 'Exploded Version' of I'll Be Your Girl? I'd like to hear the four songs that are only on it.