News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Replacing my tubes

Started by Bobafett, June 17, 2010, 12:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobafett

in my peavey Valveking 112...its got 2 6L6GCs and 3 AX7s, and somehow i blew all of em out.  i took it to the shop and they took over a month to even look at it, so i just picked it up and said why not fix it myself....i know its a plug-and-play type thing, but i want to know if there are benefits of ,say, a JJ electronics vs Solvtek etc. etc....

help a pauger out here...i'm jonsein to get some of this pent up rage out!

THX, benji
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

aphineday

Yo man, situation sucks major. I can't believe you blew them ALL!!! Crazy. As for doing it yourself, yes you should be fine. Why pay a shop to do something you can do in an hour or two tops anyway? Just be careful when you buy tubes to make sure you are buying the matched set. This causes major headaches, loss of overall tonal quality, and premature saturation of the tubes when playing non matched.
If you want the best, you are going to notice an increased warmness in your tone, and just a better sound all around. You will also notice that your wallet seems a bit lighter, but if you want to really warm up that sound it's TOTALLY worth spending the money and dropping some Groove Tubes in. Any idea how you blew all your tubes?!
Also, when you change them be very careful not to touch the glass surrounding the tube (just wear gloves). The oils from your hands can cause them to pop.

Hope that helps a bit, let me know if you have any other questions man, and best of luck! :rawk:
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Bobafett

thank for the advice...somewhere i had heard that groove tubes were the way to go, but i haven't done much homework on any of them yet...

as for the blowing of said tubes, i really think it was a power surge (yes it was on a surge protector) because my house has the ceapest of wiring, shower, sink, refrigerator, etc.  I turned the thing on, played for about 10 minutes, opened a beer, smoked a bowl and went to play it again and nothing but a loud crack and some flash of lights fromt the backside and a loud hummmmmmmm......checked the fuses, blown.  replace the fuses, blown. ARGGGG!

thanks again for the advice aphineday. :mrgreen:
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

aphineday

Daaaamn. Lame man. Definitely let them warm up on stby for a bit  (5 mins or so) before you go melting faces. You might htink about grabbing a  surge protector that actually has a small  breaker in it. I bought one for a hundred bucks or so, and it's popped probably 6 or 7 times, resulting in saving my tubes. Good luck man, let me know how it goes!

Marmar

screw a surge protector....drop the loot and get a power conditioner.....I'm rockin some vintage 1960's era tubes and they are still kickin loud and proud.....

Also....there's no need to worry about the oils from your skin on the tubes......remember folks, tubes are usually military grade spec'd.....the glass is thicker.....I manhandle my tubes all the time and have NEVER had one blow up from being touched.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

whyweigh5.0

I rock the Stiletto when I am downstairs.  It's just too big to put anywhere up here :|  It sits on top a 4x12 cab
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/stiletto/StilettoDeuce.htm
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

aphineday

Quote from: Marmar on June 27, 2010, 08:10:36 AM
screw a surge protector....drop the loot and get a power conditioner.....I'm rockin some vintage 1960's era tubes and they are still kickin loud and proud.....

Also....there's no need to worry about the oils from your skin on the tubes......remember folks, tubes are usually military grade spec'd.....the glass is thicker.....I manhandle my tubes all the time and have NEVER had one blow up from being touched.
Yes, a power conditioner  is most definitely the way to go, I was probably thinking a little generic there. I was just thinking of avoiding the direct-to-outlet situation. Also, I stand corrected on the hand oil issue! I suppose that's just an old wives tale that I've heard. Thanks for the info though on my end as well, no more changing tubes with gloves!

whyweigh5.0

I've honestly never even heard of the hand oil thing before
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Marmar

headlights, yes...no skin contact......

tubes.....meh
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

VA $l!m

is this where i can talk about my vicesectamy? :-o
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

whyweigh5.0

Did you get your tubes tied?

Bobafett

i have seen billlboards for reversevasectomy outpatient surgery...good luck.

Caravan2001

Groove Tubes rock....I put some Electro-Harmonix tubes in my '57 Champ (still have the originals though) and they sound bad ass....I pretty much run Groove Tubes or Ruby's in my other amps...Had Svetlana's in an old boogie but don't have that any more (Mark IV).....Got Ruby's in my '64 Deluxe and they KILL....switching them out is no prob...

roggae

so similar topic but not the same...i'm looking into replacing the 12ax7 tubes in my jolida 302b.  i just bought some EH EL34s from thetubestore.com but i was wondering if there was a better place for specificly phono tube or tubes for use in listening devices and whatnot.  any ideas?

Clearly it's all awful.